Injured feral - treat or PTS?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad that he's been seen. Give him time, now that he's been neutered and had his antibiotics you don't need to worry if it takes a few days for him to trust you again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking maybe I should try adding extra calories to the food in putting out for him. I was looking at maybe KMR powder. It'd be cheaper to use something like Nurse All, but it doesn't say it's for cats. Since he's not getting all his nutrients from the just milk, would that be something to try? They have goat specific milk replacer but it says special vitamins added. I've heard goat milk can be added for extra calories but I have no idea where to get it...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I was thinking maybe I should try adding extra calories to the food in putting out for him. I was looking at maybe KMR powder. It'd be cheaper to use something like Nurse All, but it doesn't say it's for cats. Since he's not getting all his nutrients from the just milk, would that be something to try? They have goat specific milk replacer but it says special vitamins added. I've heard goat milk can be added for extra calories but I have no idea where to get it...
KMR is a kitten milk replacer. It should be ok to add to his food to pump in a little more calorie. Just watch the amount given as you don't know how his system will react to the milk.

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have him yet?
I don't have him yet, I'm not even sure he's coming to eat. I did hear him meow/crying again last night but when I checked the food about 30 minutes later, nothing had been touched. Someone ate some about 2 hours later. I'm just worried that since he was already underweight when I caught him before, even having access to the food station then, that he's going to need all the calories he can get after his surgery.

I just wish he could understand that I'm just trying to help him. I feel like ive done more harm to him than good with all the extra stress those few days caused him.

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Okay he's back in the yard. He came to the door twice, but I think mostly to make sure no one was watching him. I have it dark inside so he couldn't see me. The food is on the table and he knows it's there, but that's where I trapped him last time and he didn't go up to eat. Im going to move the chairs, hoping that will be enough for him to think it's different and safe, maybe move the whole table and wipe it down so it smells different. If I put the food on the ground the ants get in it so it has to stay up. Once he's eating for sure again I'll move the trap out and start over. There is still food in the room he escaped from and a trail, but so far nothing going in. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great that he came back to the yard. Could be that he is fed by someone else and therefore not eating at your yard.

Maybe you can prepare another litter box and scoop some old litter from his box from inside the house and leave it in the yard away from rain and food. So that he'll get back his familiar scent.

I would leave the table and chairs there as he is already familiar with them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see he's alright. Cats are pretty quick to pick up on what you're doing. You'll have to be sly to catch them.

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing. None of my regulars have made any appearances since Tuesday. I'm hoping it's because the high winds we've been having. Maybe it's too loud and scary for them to come out.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Nothing. None of my regulars have made any appearances since Tuesday. I'm hoping it's because the high winds we've been having. Maybe it's too loud and scary for them to come out.
I'm guessing that they might have another feeding station somewhere. :think:

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's back tonight and looks like he was dipped in oil and rolled in burrs. He's limping still as well. I'm going to build a drop trap tomorrow and I'll work him with it. I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and won't be home during his regular feeding time anymore so fingers crossed I'll get him before then.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If/when you catch him again, call around local rescues and animal services.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He's back tonight and looks like he was dipped in oil and rolled in burrs. He's limping still as well. I'm going to build a drop trap tomorrow and I'll work him with it. I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and won't be home during his regular feeding time anymore so fingers crossed I'll get him before then.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's been a while since I've posted any updates.

I built a drop trap that didn't work. Well it did work, but not on him and was damaged in the process. I caught a different tom and got him placed in a barn program. He managed to rip out a panel of the staples I used to attach the netting and I can't risk Dodger escaping again so I haven't tried on him.

I am however having some luck enticing him into the house. Earlier today I actually had him almost into his old room before he realied I was in the house and he rushed back out the door. I'm hopeful though.

He seems to be holding up well enough. Not losing weight and his fur is growing back where he had the ringworm and cage damage. He's no longer limping. He still needs to be looked after and could use a good cleaning.

I'm still trying!

Attachments