Injured feral cat! need to trap..

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOSH!!! I just saw one of my regular ferals "Giles" come for food and I am APPALLED at the shape he is in! It looks like he has no use of one front paw and can't even put any weight on it. I tried to see if there's any wounds but can't see too well due to it being night but he's definitely wounded. Maybe the paw is broken or is infected? I don't know.. I don't know how long he has had this. I hadn't seen him for a couple days but I thought it was because it was so cold outside and also that I might've missed him so that's why I didn't know until now that he has been injured..

I just called a friend who works primarily with ferals to see if a feral cats clinic called "petworth" I went to before a couple months ago would tend injured ferals also and she said yes soooooooo PLS SEND ME POSITIVE VIBES so I can trap him tmr and get him to the clinic ASAP. He has already left tonite so I know he won't be back tonite. Will have to try tmr - HOPE he shows up tmr!

One thing I am really worried about is if he gets into the trap and gets real upset that he will injure himself worse so if there's any suggestions on how to lessen the chances of him injuring himself worse, PLS PLS let me know. I will have a dark towel over the cage and will immediately transfer him to the bathroom where I will keep him overnite until I get him to the clinic.

I feel so sick right now thinking of how much pain he must be in.. Poor GILES! HOPE he comes back tmr and that I won't have too much trouble trapping him..

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela...I will think good thoughts for you. Alley Cat Allies monthly clinic is this weekend sooo if you have any questions..I can ask them.

Katie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes wet food in the cage will keep them distracted for a while, and playing soft classical music might help. Spray the towel with Feliway before you drape it over his cage. Bring him into a room with the least amount of cat smell so he doesn't feel threatened.

Sending positive trapping and stay calm vibes to Giles!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will do that with the wetfood. Unfortunately, I can't use classical music since I don't have any music, tape recorders or any of those musical thingies.. I will rub some feliway on the towel...

TNR- THANKS for ur offer and I'll keep that in mind. I have about 3 ferals that I NEED to get fixed and would love to bring them to that clinic. However, from what I understand, it is primarily for people with lots of ferals?

Anyway, I REALLY hope that he comes back tmr and that I can trap him especially since we might have a bit of snow on Wed and Thurs. Don't want him dealing with his wounds AND trying to find a warm place while snowing..

Will keep u guys posted.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Pamela....I think it is "preferable" that individuals who only have a few ferals use the Petworth location..only because you are correct..there are some people who have a standing amount every month of around 15 feral cats. I can certainly ask however if I bring a couple of ferals every now and then if that would be an issue. Good Luck trapping him.

Katie

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He didn't come tonite!!! Will try again tmr.... Keep ur fingers crossed and keep sending me positive vibes that he'll come SOON and that I can get him trapped and get his wounds tended to ASAP...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has always been my experience that when you want them to come around, the sense it and stay hidden. I haven't seen Cyclone since the snowstorm and I fear he came to harm in the bitter cold. I am still hopeful he will return to his special feeder at night (on top of the well house) but for right now, every morning, the food is undisturbed.

Good luck trapping the elusive one!

2tame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm praying that both your Giles and Hissy's Cyclone both show up and are able to accept help.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giles showed up last nite! However, I think my trap is too small for him (He's a HUGE cat)... He was able to go into the trap, stretch his head over the trigger part and grab all the tuna then back out of the trap to eat without triggering the trap shut!

I got a better look at his front leg and he has definitely either been shot OR been bitten several times cuz I can see 2-3 holes up high near the elbow area and there's no fur around those holes. It looks a bit swollen.. However, he was putting more weight on it last nite. Not sure if that's a good sign or not..

I emailed a friend in cat rescue field to see if I could borrow a bigger trap from her and am waiting to hear when we can meet so I can get it.. HOPE I can get it tonite so I can trap him either tonite or tmr and get him treated.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've borrowed traps from the local animal control and/or my vet. Animal control usually has larger traps. They might ask for a deposit, but usually return it to you when you return the cage.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah.. I prefer to work with my friend though since I know her. I am going to go pick it up tmr at her work during the day.
Keep ur fingers CROSSED that i can trap Giles either tonite (using my small trap) or tmr with the borrowed trap so I can get him treated!

POOR Giles... If he HAS been shot like I think he was, I'll be ready to MURDER someone..
I JUST don't understand WHY people would be so cruel to do stuff like that.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How frustrating! But....his going into the trap and getting the treat without getting caught will make him more likely to go into the larger trap when you put it out.

Good luck catching this big boy.

2tame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can't get a larger trap - since he does go in yours, you can tie a long string to the bar that comes off the pressure pad and manually trigger it when he is in.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! I saw Giles about an hour ago and he's definitely improving! Still no luck with trapping him but I'm not giving up... He is walking almost normally now- limped once or twice the whole time so he's getting better... Now to get him trapped, get him checked out, get fixed, get shots and give antioiotics.......

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I GOT HIM!!! I GOT GILES!!!!! He's right now in my bathtub in the trap with a towel over it. I am soooooooo happy I FINALLY trapped him!

Will be taking him to Petworth tmr(clinic dealing primarily with ferals)to have his wounds looked at, neutered and get all the shots.. He is walking fine but the wounds looks raw and open soooo hopefully the vet will be able to fix him up. He's a GORGEOUS cat.. Looks like a bengal kinda and is HUGE. When I started to pick him up in the trap, I had to STRAIN to lift him so he's VERY VERY HEAVY..

Will feel sooo much better knowing he'll get treated for the wounds. I will also ask the vet how the wounds happened (bite wounds or shots?)..

I will also try to take some dig pics of him and post here so u can see for urself how gorgeous and huge he is.