Info regarding stray/feral? cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a new picture of Buddy.  A sweet cat.  Took us a month to pet him.  Glad we didn't give up.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy to hear that things are going so well.  The screen door looks awesome.  I hope Buddy enjoys his time exploring the house.  He looks so sweet and content!!

brooke86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have adopted a pregnant stray/feral and she's been in my garage for a while. I also feel like I am being mean keeping her locked in because I know she's wants out sometimes. But it's really cold and she's due anyday.

Before I trapped her in the garage she would come around for feeding but wouldn't get within 10 ft of the food until I close the door. She Is still really tense. She will rub up against my legs but doesn't like me to move. Sometimes if she is eating I can sneak a pet in. I can tell she wants to be loved but is just scared. I also read online not to stare at them so I try and blink a lot when I am around her. Odd I know but she's seemed to have calmed down a lot since then lol. I think your cat will come around it just takes a lot of time and patience

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll join in the "so glad you never gave up" chorus - way to go for you and for Buddy!!! And knowing what the weather's going to be like in your part of the country this week - I'm sure you're extra happy knowing he's not outside! (I worry about our ferals - but they're truly feral)

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You did a good thing by bringing her in.  I did the same thing 15 yrs ago.  She had 6 kittens and I found homes for all kittens but one which I kept (my Bearcat).  I also found a home for the Mom.  If she is rubbing against your legs its just a matter of time before she lets you pet her.  Go slow. It took me a month before Buddy would let me pet him.  He is still in his room at night and while Bearcat is sleeping in another room we let him roam the house to get used to it without the conflict with Bearcat.  We are going to see if we can get them to interact this weekend.  Good Luck with yours and thank you for helping the Momma cat.

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have adopted a pregnant stray/feral and she's been in my garage for a while. I also feel like I am being mean keeping her locked in because I know she's wants out sometimes. But it's really cold and she's due anyday.

Before I trapped her in the garage she would come around for feeding but wouldn't get within 10 ft of the food until I close the door. She Is still really tense. She will rub up against my legs but doesn't like me to move. Sometimes if she is eating I can sneak a pet in. I can tell she wants to be loved but is just scared. I also read online not to stare at them so I try and blink a lot when I am around her. Odd I know but she's seemed to have calmed down a lot since then lol. I think your cat will come around it just takes a lot of time and patience
brooke86 Thank you so much for taking this pregnant cat in.  You are not being unkind by keeping her in your garage. I felt like that too and now Buddy is very happy and content and also safe and out of the harsh conditions.  If your cat is rubbing against your legs she will come around in time.  It took us a month before we could even touch Buddy.  You did a good thing!!!! Good Luck!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a great update!!  I am so happy your stuck with it.  You now will reap the rewards of having 2 fur babies!!  I am in the process of taking the next step with the stray/feral I brought inside the house in late May.  He and my resident cat have had so many issues, but since early Nov. things have been going well.  Marvin (the stray/feral) has his own room which he is allowed out of when we are all home.  He also stays shut in his room at night.  I am now preparing to leave his door open at night and see what happens.  He loves his room and often is ready to go to bed by 8pm each night.  It is is routine now.  If all goes well with the night time I hope to be able to leave them out alone while we are not at home.  It may be awhile yet!