Info regarding stray/feral? cat

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he is progressing nicely! Cat nip is always worth a go also. Some cats absolutely love it, some it doesn't effect at all, but I'd give it a try. Reward him after play sessions with treats and a lot of praise. Your doing great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is playing now.  He likes catnip mouse and he also like to play with the robe tie.  He is getting more comfortable with me.  He approached me last night while I was at the computer so I started to play with robe tie,  I then got down on the floor and continued to play and he came closer.  This morning he actually came to about 1 ft away from me and meowed and  I could see his conflict because his tail began to rise like a cat will do when greeting you but he only put it half up. So I just sat on the floor and he proceeded to meow until my husband called me from downstairs.

My husband says I am moving to fast.  What do you think???? I think I am just following Buddy's lead. I do not approach him.  When he approaches me I speak softly to him and do put my hand down, closed fist, but I do not thrust it towards him I just put it down so If he wants to nudge me he can.  So what do you all think?  Do you think I should stay off the floor?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like it is all going really well.  I would definitely stay on the floor.  You can always move back up to the chair if he stops coming up to you.  Follow his lead.  He will let you know (usually by retreating) if you are going too fast or pushing him past his comfort zone.  Since he likes the robe tie, try a feather wand.  It's still far enough away from your body.  You could also try the laser. 

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update....Things are going really well.  Buddy will now rub against my legs and he seems to love his safe haven room.  Also thanks for suggesting Da Bird, he absolutely loves it.  He now rolls around at my feet and purrs. Still unable to really touch him but he touches me. Rubbing against me and he loves when I sit on the floor with him. Thank you everyone.  Heres is a new pic of him looking very relaxed, no longer hiding under desk.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is just beautiful.  He looks so relaxed and happy.  So glad to hear how much progress is being made.  Buddy will now live in his "furever" home and be loved and well taken care of.  Thank you for rescuing him!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just came upon this thread.  Wonderful work you've done with Buddy over the last weeks and what a handsome cat he is!  Looking forward to more updates and pictures.

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Big breakthrough. Buddy now lets me pet him, scratch his head, ears and under chin.  I'm normally out of the house 12 hrs a day at work, with drive time but my husband had back surgery and I've been home since wednesday and I think me spending alot of time with Buddy helped.  He is one big love bug now.  I go back to work on Monday but my husband said he will spend more time in Buddy's room with him.  I now believe that there is no way this cat was feral. Now I'm waiting for him to climb in my lap.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree-the chances he was feral are very minimal-he's taken to you way too quickly to be 100% feral (although I know it's felt like forever for you!!).

I definitely think still stay close to the floor---engage when you can with super-hi-reward fun like Da Bird! I also highly recommend the occasional treat of chicken baby food (Gerber Stage 1)-//just make sure no onion (1 reason you stick w/name brands). We call it "kitty crack"....& we lured dyed in the wool feral kittens with it! You can substitute it for food-but bet you'll have him eating off a spoon w/you in NO TIME!!! You're making GREAT progress!!!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry -meant to say you CAN'T substitute Gerber chicken baby food for real kitten food-it's a treat only!!!!!!!!!!

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This picture says it all.......Buddy is now a little lovebug.  I'm 100% positive he was not feral. Still not ready to be introduced to resident cat but we are making great progress.  Thank you to everyone.  I will still need advice about getting the two male cats together but one step at a time.

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This picture says it all.......Buddy is a little lovebug.  This cat was definitely not feral just on his own for a bit or not taken care of.  When we trapped him he was not neutered, had round worms and tapeworms.  Thank you for all the advice.  I will still need input when we are ready to let him into the rest of the house and introduce him to my other male cat which I am really freaked out about.  For now he will stay in his safe haven room until he is totally comfortable with my husband.  He has started to let my husband pet him today.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful that Buddy is doing so well.  He seems so relaxed. 

As for introductions it is a process.  I have been working with my 2 males since mid August.  My resident indoor kitty, Jake is 5 years old and has been the only indoor cat.  Marvin is the stray/feral I brought into the house the very end of May.  Marvin stayed in his safe room until the end of July.  At that time we started some introductions, but didn't let them be together until mid August.  It is still a work in progress.  Marvin lived out on the streets for who knows how long.  He had to fight for food and territory.  He didn't let me near him for months.  I trapped him and had him neutered in March, but he wouldn't even let me be near him.  WHen I would bring out the food, he would hide under the deck until I was safely inside.  I have two other TNR's also living outside on my deck.  Marvin decided one day in late April to completely all at once come out of his shell.  He went from running when he saw me to rubbing up against me and wanting pet all over in an instant.  Once he became comfortable with me, he tried to run the other cats off.  I could not take it.  My Shadow was being tormented every day.  I tried to find a home or rescue to take Marvin, but it was kitten season and everyone was full.  It was either take him inside or have him euthanized.  I took him in.  He is a very very sweet soul.  He loves all of us, yet still has issues with Jake. Marvin still thinks he has to fight for his territory. Marvin can now be out of his room when I am home during the day.  He hangs out mostly with me in the back of the house where I work.  Jake stays in the front of the house.  For the most part, they ignore each other.  Yet, when they see each other there is still some hissing.  Last weekend Marvin did pounce on Jake, but fortunately no claws.  I have a large dog as well.  She is great with the cats and Jake is her buddy.  I have started using her to help me.  I told her that her job was to keep Marvin from hurting Jake.  It works well for the most part.  Marvin still goes into his room at night and Jake is free to roam.  Not sure when or if that will change.  I just take it day by day. 

A few things that have helped:

1.  Flower essences.  I have used Rescue Remedy and some from Spirit Essences. 

2.  Composure liquid or treats.  The liquid works much faster, but it more expensive.  I used the treats with Marvin when I first brought him into the house and he cried all night.  It really helps to keep the cats calm

3.  Gates.  You can either stack them on top of each other or make sure that you have a human on each side. 

4.  Screen door.  This has been the best for us.  I bought a cheap ($20) wooden screen door at Lowes.  DH said no way could I deface the door.  I bought a screen door that is larger than the opening and it rests on the molding around the door.  I then attach it by using cheap ($4 for 2) tension rods.  This allowed Marvin to hear the sounds of the house.  It also allowed the cats to safely see and sniff each other.  I do have a gate that I keep in front of the screen door for a bit of added barrier. 

Here is a picture of how I have attached it.  I only use it when I am home.

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the input. We thought of the screen door but we were going to attach it with hinges.  My resident cat is 15 yrs old and is used to other cats.  The new cat Buddy I don't know about since he was a stray.  Bearcat has been around other cats (all females) since birth until March when we had to put our Missy down due to mouth cancer. Hopefully we can integrate them but if not Buddy seems fine for now in his room and we spend quite a bit of time with him.

Thanks!

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i just wanted to say what a beautiful cat, we are going through a similar situation at the moment and can really relate to things you have posted. It has only been a week but seem to be making progress. I hope Spartacus adapts as well as Buddy has, you have done a great job. :clap:

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i just wanted to say what a beautiful cat, we are going through a similar situation at the moment and can really relate to things you have posted. It has only been a week but seem to be making progress. I hope Spartacus adapts as well as Buddy has, you have done a great job.
Good Luck with Spartacus! Stick with it because when they come around and start interacting it is so rewarding and heartwarming. Still have not introduced him to my other cat but they sniff each other through the door and we definitely are going to put up a wooden screen door.

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are going this weekend to get a wood screen door to try to introduce Buddy and Bearcat.  One thing Buddy is very affectionate now but he does this weird thing while he is rubbing me and while i'm petting him.  The base of his tail gets real big like a cat that is threatened but he is being all lovey dovey.  I don't get it. Does anyone know why this happens?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a new one for me-but I bet is he's getting a little overstimulated. I'd try-when that happens-you stop petting for just a tiny bit & give him a little "break". Since only physical stimulation causes overstimulation, even if you give him that little break on petting you can keep engaging/loving him by talking to him, etc. We've got 2 that get very overstimulated very quickly when petting-but if, when they start to overreact, I stop petting them on their back & just speak to them or even pet their heads/under their chins--they switch out of that stimulation mode.

So just a thought! Anyone else?

judygb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The introduction has begun with Buddy and Bearcat and it went extremely well.  We put a screen window insert at the door which is 3' high and then we put a piece of cardboard above it so Buddy could not jump over it.  We then had Bob on the outside and me inside the room with Buddy.  We called Bearcat upstairs and the two sniffed noses through the screen.  No hissing or growling or meowing.  Buddy was very relaxed he just plopped down on his side and layed there.  Bear was a bit more interested.  His tail was going but he did not get aggressive.  We then gave each cat treats.  We will continue this process every day.  We were both surprised and happy about how well it went.  I think pretty soon we will have Buddy out of the room with supervision of course.  We will continue to keep him in his room at night while we are sleeping until they both are very comfortable with each other.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going really well.  Keep up the good work and take things slowly.  I bet Bearcat and Buddy will be friends in no time!!