Indoor or outdoor?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Maybe my cats are different because they do not wander the neighborhood and there are lots of other cats most of them strays. Come to think of it, my cats are busy keeping other cats away from the property. :)  I had one who used to walk on the perimeter wall and if a strange cat came within a yard of the wall he would yowl and the rest would come running. It was like a scene from a western movie about defending the fort against indians. :lol3:  
Mine don't roam, either, especially as they get older.  I'm not going to say they've never left the property, especially when they were younger, but they stick close to home now.  Most days when I get home from work, they are already inside snoozing even though their cat door stays open until 6.  I never have to look for them or call them in at night.  They know dinner is around 4:30 - 5, and are always in on their own by then.  
Ps--funny about your cats guarding the 'fort'!

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me a dog roaming is asking for issues as they are much more social/in your face. My brother lives in a town where a good amount of dogs are free roaming(no tags) and the people have to keep gates closed(ALL have fenced in yards unless they removed the fence as houses were built with metal fencing) or end up with yards dug up(cats dig to cover dogs dig to dig and they can dig a HUGE hole very very fast), poop and kids toys chewed.   I am sure people are angry but nothing is ever said to the owners from all the times I been there.

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

To me a dog roaming is asking for issues as they are much more social/in your face. My brother lives in a town where a good amount of dogs are free roaming(no tags) and the people have to keep gates closed(ALL have fenced in yards unless they removed the fence as houses were built with metal fencing) or end up with yards dug up(cats dig to cover dogs dig to dig and they can dig a HUGE hole very very fast), poop and kids toys chewed.   I am sure people are angry but nothing is ever said to the owners from all the times I been there.
If dogs were roaming around in UK like they seem to be in other countries it simply would not be tolerated by the general public, most people here would phone the local authority and complain, the Dog Warden would, if he could find the dog take it to the local council kennels, dogs roaming are a danger to people, cats, traffic and a problem in general, if you have a dog in UK you are expected to keep it under control at  all times when away from your own property.  The Council where I live have banned dogs from being let of leash on the beach.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm UK and all my cats have been indoor outdoor, I personally would not keep mine as soley indoor cats. It is a personal choice though and you do have to really take into consideration where you live (are you on/near a busy road etc).

As for their safety, I have personally never had any of my cats suffer any kind of injury/illness that came as a result of them being outside. I'm sure that is partly due to luck but I also think that when you read things like this thread you can get the impression that these kinds of injury are really common but if you asked how many people have had indoor-outdoor cats who have led long lives and died of unrelated causes you would also get an abundance of replies. 

I adore my cats and their health is incredibly important to me, but so is their happiness. I totally agree that cats can lead happy lives indoors but mine love being outside and I can't deny them that. I don't think that letting them roam freely is irresponsible in any way. 

Whatever you decide I'm sure they'll be happy and they're lucky to have an owner who is putting so much thought into it!

P.S Mine wear reflective collars when they go out and they are kept in overnight. They also only go out when I am at home.
While I think it is 100% a personal choice whether you keep your cats indoor only, outdoor only, or indoor-outdoor, the statistics are STRIKING regarding life expectancy.  Indoor only cats tend to live 12-20 years.  Cats kept outdoors tend to live only 1-5.  This is not a coincidence.  While I do think the dangers vary country to country and according to specific location, it is not a weird fluke that people chime in in threads like this and say 'this bad thing happened to my outdoor cat'.  Bad things are more likely to happen to outdoor cats.

By way of illustration from my own life (and yes, it is only anecdotal, and yes, someone else my age might chime up and say well but I've never seen anything like this so ha! and they also have a valid experience)

-I had a long-term boyfriend whose parents kept indoor-outdoor cats on their farm when he was growing up. This was a rural area- no dangers from cars.  Pretty much, they got a new kitten every year because the previous kitten died in some way- all but one died outside (not all died within 1 year, but only 1 of the 14 lived past the age of 5).  Between when the boyfriend was age 5 and  age 18, his family had had 14 indoor-outdoor cats, only one of whom was still alive (and who later did die of kidney failure at the ripe old-ish age of 15). These people were not particularly negligent. They got all the cats spayed and neutered, took to vet for yearly check-ups and other necessary exams, and tried to make sure the cats were indoors at night.  The cats just got into various kinds of trouble outside.

-As just one example from my recent life, last summer there was a cat by the community pool where I go sometimes.  It had a collar and in later talking with its owner, who I called, it came out that this cat too is indoor-outdoor and not left out all the time, has a caring owner, etc.  But yeah, this cat is wandering around the pool, and kids are just being kids and hurting it. These aren't even mean-spirited kids who are trying to hurt it or throw it in the water or whatever.  These are just normal kids with slightly negligent/off the ball parents who think it's okay to try to grab kitty to pet it by picking it up by the tail or whatever.  This is a really mild example from what I've seen recently, but it shows just how much outdoor cats may need to put up with even from well intentioned people. 

Now this isn't meant to be some PSA, like 'keep your cat inside!' I truly DO believe it's a personal choice. But I think that to downplay or dismiss the risks just because you've been lucky enough to never have anything bad happen to your cats isn't accurate. Some cats live full and long and happy lives outdoors- but many also do have their lives tragically cut short.  It is a fact.

I will say/admit also that I do certainly think cats enjoy going outside and may be happier and less stressed if allowed to do so.  For instance, there are also statistic that cats are way less likely to suffer from FLUTD if allowed outdoors.  But to me it's not worth the trade off (which again is a personal choice) and I think this can be mitigated greatly if not entirely by making sure the cats do have an enriched enviornment inside, including if possible a playmate, playtime, vertical space, etc. 

Last edited:

emma512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've gotta admit, when I read your reply I was a bit baffled. I have known multiple cats in my lifetime (all indoor/outdoor as I'm UK)  and never known one to die this young. My last cat died at 18, my boyfriends cat is currently 22. They were and always were indoor-outdoor cats. Again, like you said, I know this is anecdotal so not worth a lot but I'm just putting it out there so you can see where my surprise came from. I was pretty darn certain that this statistic was not true of UK cats.

I assumed that the difference was due to the statistics being based on USA cats, as you do have more dangers over there (I believe there's less traffic over here and we have very, very few predators over here. A fox would probably be the worst a cat would come across). Anyways so I did a little digging. I understand where you have got these stats from, because if you google it that is all that comes up. However, not a single article that pushes the 5 year life expectancy states their source - absolutely none of them. This has been noticed by others as well (http://www.harpsie.com) and it seems that no one knows where this statistic actually originated from. This is not to say that it’s not true of course but I’m just saying it should maybe be treated with a bit of caution.

I can with some degree of certainty say that this statistic is not true of UK cats though. It is estimated that around 90% of cats in the UK are indoor-outdoor cats (source! – I. Rochlitz, 2007, The Welfare of Cats, pg. 194). It is also estimated that half of all cats in Britain live to reach 12 or over (St. John Thomas, 2006). According to Whiskas, half the cats in the UK are classed as ‘senior’ which is 8 or above by their standards (Cat Report, 2005). So if we put the two together, I think it’s fairly safe to say the average life expectancy of an indoor-outdoor cat in the UK is a fair bit higher than 5.

It seems to be another pretty widespread, though again unsourced, opinion that 5 years is the age that feral cats generally live to. I did wonder whether this is where the aforementioned statistic has come from as they are occasionally referred to as ‘outdoor’ cats.

On a totally different side note, whilst searching I found this - http://www.cats.org.uk/canterbury/adopt-a-cat/indoor-cats/ - on the Cats Protection website (the UKs main cat-only charity) they actually prefer to rehome cats to indoor/outdoor homes and will generally only rehome cats with a disability or illness to indoor situations! I'm not using this to argue my case at all, I just though the cultural difference is really highllighted here and it's kinda fascinating.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, I also live in the UK and have 2 cats. My cats don't roam, I have a huge enclosure that covers the whole of my garden which my husband built for them. It's a kitty cat's playground! I do understand how you feel because I sometimes feel guilty because they can't explore the real world but that real world is full of dangers and I live near a busy road. Some people think it's odd but my babies are very very happy and safe.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it was a bit of a decision for me whether to let my cats outside or not. In the beginning I was firmly against it. 

(I live in the US in a large apartment that is set back from the streets, and has lots of green and trees, a veritable cat-haven/heaven)

Anyhow, they would get extremely bored being indoors... it was painfully obvious they longed for the outdoors. After my boyfriend's pleading for me to let them out, I broke down and bought them harnesses. They would get so excited to go outside when one of them saw the harness he would purr and lay down so I could put it on. I felt better knowing they could go outside, but I could control their access. However, this led to the bold one thinking once that door opened, it was fair game. He sneaked past me one night and I was mortified. Within 20 minutes he was at the door meowing to come back in. I slowly worked into gradual exposure outside for them without leashes. (At first they could only go outside without leashes with me, and they would sit by my feet on the patio.) Then we worked into walking around the apartment together exploring without leashes. 

I must interject that before they were able to be let out we went through training so they would learn to come when called, sit on command, and so on. They listen quite well.

We are at the point, 2 months into their outdoor adventures, that they will roam about the apartment and do little "check backs" every 30 minutes or so with me. They come almost immediately when called so I am pretty aware of where they are at all times. There is always a risk of something bad happening to them, but their quality of life has drastically improved over these past 2 months. They are happier, cuddlier, and all around better for it. (I must add that these two were feral kittens when found, so that may have something to do with their outdoor nature.) Perhaps.

I had several people warm me in the beginning that boy cats in particular are roamers, and will often disappear for days at a time. I don't know if it's their breed, their training, or our bond, but these boys are content to stay near their 'mamma'... and now I glad I let them out :)

Hope this helps. No matter what anyone else says, do what makes sense to you and good luck

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I also live in the UK and have 2 cats. My cats don't roam, I have a huge enclosure that covers the whole of my garden which my husband built for them. It's a kitty cat's playground! I do understand how you feel because I sometimes feel guilty because they can't explore the real world but that real world is full of dangers and I live near a busy road. Some people think it's odd but my babies are very very happy and safe.
I think your situation is a good one for the cats, I just want them to get some fresh air and a cat enclosure gives you peace of mind, I think the way things are with more traffic, some rather unpleasant people out there that a large enclosure is ideal.

Having said all the things I have said about letting cats go out I have recently got a rescue cat and because she has never been out in her seven years she does not want to go!   

42cattier

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm all for protected outdoors (fenced well landscaped backyard), when weather allows, with free access to home any time cat feels like it. Have this option, luckily, and cat is not a climber.

Better air quality, richer life. Try to sit otside for a while and inside and compare yourself.

Full enclosure would be better (no raccoons), no neigbourly figting cats.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a choice on the matter, as I live on a very busy, urban, downtown street that gets a lot of traffic during the day and into the evening hours (although it is dead in the early mornings!). I would never let Shelly out into an environment like that. Not only that but I rent so I can't just alter the property and, even if I could put in a cat door, I live on the 2nd floor of my building, so she has to go through 2 doors to get outside.

There was a sweet little B&W kitty who used to come up onto my back porch and take a nap. He disappeared, and I found out last October from my landlord that he had been hit by a car. It was my landlord who tried to save him by taking him to a vet but it was too late.

Also, I don't know how it is in the UK, but over here in the USA we have no end of freaks who like to abuse animals. My state, NY, has an animal cruelty law called Buster's Law, and it was named after a cat who was set on fire by some punk. 
  And then there was a case last year where someone nailed two pit bull puppies by their paws to the railroad tracks that run through downtown Albany.

You try to mess with my sweetie, I will hurt you.

Letting cats out is only safe IMO if the owner is there constantly to supervise them and keep them safe. A rural environment is best. My oldest brother lets his cat outside, but then again he lives up in the Adirondacks in northern NYS.

But don't be like the idiot family in my area that lost their cat to another adoptive family last year. They let their cat outside with no chip, no collar/tags. One day the cat didn't come back. They learned, too late, that it had been taken to a local shelter (the same one I adopted Shelly from, in fact), and she had already been adopted ... by the same family that had turned her in. The shelter only holds non-IDed cats for 5 days, and IDed cats for 7 days before putting them up for adoption. It took the family 10 days before they contacted the shelter to see if their cat was there.

Last edited:

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have a choice on the matter, as I live on a very busy, urban, downtown street that gets a lot of traffic during the day and into the evening hours (although it is dead in the early mornings!). I would never let Shelly out into an environment like that. Not only that but I rent so I can't just alter the property and, even if I could put in a cat door, I live on the 2nd floor of my building, so she has to go through 2 doors to get outside.

There was a sweet little B&W kitty who used to come up onto my back porch and take a nap. He disappeared, and I found out last October from my landlord that he had been hit by a car. It was my landlord who tried to save him by taking him to a vet but it was too late. :bawling:

Also, I don't know how it is in the UK, but over here in the USA we have no end of freaks who like to abuse animals. My state, NY, has an animal cruelty law called Buster's Law, and it was named after a cat who was set on fire by some punk. :argh:   And then there was a case last year where someone nailed two pit bull puppies by their paws to the railroad tracks that run through downtown Albany.

Letting cats out is only safe IMO if the owner is there constantly to supervise them and keep them safe. A rural environment is best. My oldest brother lets his cat outside, but then again he lives up in the Adirondacks in northern NYS.
OMG those poor poor babies, I cried when I read your post.
We have our share of freaks here too and it breaks my heart to hear the stories.
I have mixed reactions to my cat enclosure, some say yeah really good idea and some say oh no thats cruel they should be able to explore the world.
Its quite rare in the UK to have an enclosure unless your'e a breeder or you have pedigrees.

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I picked my cat up off the street, I've had to wrestle with this question of indoor/outdoor. Before I was raised with an indoor only cat, and I actually prefer to know they are safe, fle/ticks are rare, etc a million reasons really.
But my poor boy is pretty mad and upset that he can no longer go outside. If it was just my preference, I think I would let him only because he's been out before; but due to health risks/issues the vets don't recommend it, and now we have moved to a new state and I also worry he would try to "find" our old home where I rescued him from. Also we are renting in Seattle, it is not any where near a good out door environment for him. Before we lived on the Oregon Coast where many let their kitties out due to the relatively small town/rural environment.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
MrsFPMister, I think the best option for your boy may be to leash train him. This way he gets to do some exploring, but you are able to keep him safe.

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do agree that cats have a better quality of life when they go outdoors. If you are lucky enough to have your own house and a nice big back yard, then the outdoor life can be pretty hard to beat. My boyfriends mother lives in the U.K, and has a beautiful back garden. It's like a little hill, with flowers and trees everywhere. Her cat is 18, and has never had any problems. Now she just goes out to do her business and then comes back in.

My sister has had many cats that have all been outdoor, and none have them have gotten sick. She thinks that one her cats might have been attacked by a raccoon though because she had a lump the size of an orange on her belly.

But, I have not enjoyed the same luck with outdoor cats as everyone else. I've had two cats disappear and one get hit by a car. My boyfriend also had a cat die from being hit by a car.

Needless to say, while a cat will enjoy being outdoors more than anything, it's not a safe or responsible thing to do anymore. We know too much about all the diseases they can get. FIV, FeLV, FIP, plus getting hit by cars, bitten by other animals, tortured by other humans. It's just not worth the worry. Both my cats are indoor, and I take them out on leashes. They are demanding, but I try to give them what they need.

What it does mean though, is that you have to work a LOT harder to keep them happy. With an outdoor cat, you open the door and out they go. They come back in, eat, go to sleep. In between all that, you might get a cuddle here and there. With an indoor cat, they harass you for things. Like if they want to go out for a walk, or want to play. They are so much more dependent on you for their happiness. It's a bit responsibility actually. Unless you are someone that can tune everything out and just not notice that your cat is stressed out.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^^^ My kitty can harrass me any time she wants! :) She's the best little alarm clock in the mornings when she jumps on the bed and makes her presence (& the fact that she:s hungry) known.