Indoor Kitties

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too. It's a safety issue.
It's for their own good. My kitties are plenty happy, but that also because I have always played with them and gave them time and my attention!!

-Jacquie

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are good arguments for both sides. I have 4 indoor only kitties and one who goes outside. We used to live in a very rural area, so my oldest kitty Onyx was allowed outside (hes neutered and vaccinated). We've since moved to a place that has a road closeby, and thought we'd try to keep onyx inside. He became very depressed and would climb walls and open screens on windows just to get ouside.So, because he was used to it already, we let him out again. It is safer, if you live in a high traffic area, to keeps cats inside. But then again, have you ever seen a cat enjoying the great outdoors on a summer day, leaping to catch bugs and lounging in the sunshine? They enjoy it so much! If I lived in a safer area, my cats would all be indoor/outdoor kitties. I think its a matter of your situation.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Jasper is doing well. GreyCat seems happy to be indoors now that the weather is turning colder. He got a blast of cold air in the face when he tried to sneak out tonight, and ran as fast as he could down to the basement and laid down on his favorite cushion. I picked him up a while later and carried him to the door to look at a squirrel in the yard but he struggled and ran back downstairs. I found him hiding behind the furnace. Poor guy must have thought I was going to toss him out into the cold. Guess he's made his decision, LOL.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clairey-pooh, Im so glad that your kitty is liking being inside!! thats great!
I hope you didn't think I was saying its cruel to keep cats in - Im fine with it!! If people want to keep their babies indoors thats fine by me! I do have friends who only have indoor cats and they are all ok with it too. - Don't have a guilt complex about it love!! ha ha ha
I just think its down to personal choice and your situation, as I said before, if I lived near a busy road or something then all my cats would be indoor cats!! but seeing as we have the space I don't mind letting them out thats all! What matters most to me is that the cats are happy, be it indoors or outdoors (I also had an indoor only cat once, sadly she's now an
snif...)
Anyhoooo hope things continue to go well with you and your baby!! Im sure they will!

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It makes me so mad
when I see cats roaming around outside !!! There is no reason to send a cat outside and even if they want to go out TOUGH!!!! I have 3 cats and 2 of them were found outside. The first one was just a baby so being out really never interested him, but the second we found with 2 of her kittens. We found homes for them and kept the mom only to discover she was once again pregnant truly the fault of her uncaring owner. Well we were lucky to find homes for her 5 new kittens and then ran to get her fixed so the urge to roam was stopped. We did have a little guy named Spooky that we gave to my husbands sister as she fell in love with him and promised to keep him indoors. Ha,she had him no more than 4 months when she called to say "Oh I let Spooky out last night and I think he was poisoned cause he cried and cried and DIED right under our bed!!!" I could have strangled her!!Poor little Spooky was just 1 and a half years old. Needless to say both my husband and I have not spoken to her since and it took me a LONG time to get over the guilt of giving him to her. So keep you kitties indoors. It is a known fact that indoor cats have a much longer life than those allowed to roam free and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why!!!
why subject a cat to a certain and sometimes PAINFUL death ??

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your sentiments, but again it depends on your situation. In my town, the norm is to have inside /outside cats. I'm not saying they never have problems and yes, accidents do happen. However, I know lots of people who have spayed/neuterd cats with all their vaccinations that live happily going outside during the day. Plenty of these cats live to be old and happy. My Grandmothers cat is nearly 20 years old and she has been going outside since she was a kitten. We live in a very rural area, so for most people here, its an okay choice. Its not really fair to say that there is never a reason to let your cat outside. Allowing your cat to go out does not always mean a death sentence. I choose to keep mine inside, personally, because I live to close to a roadway, but you can bet if I didn't, mine would all enjoy going outside. I don't condone people being irresponsible and allowing an unfixed cat to go out and add to over population, and I don't condone people who live near a busy highway to allow their animals to go out, but IMHO,In certain circumstances, it can be an okay choice.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been fortunate before to live in areas that I was able to allow my kitties to be indoor/outdoor kitties. I now live 15 feet off a busy road and there is no way my guys are going outside. They don't like it, but they would like an encounter with a Goodyear even less. I will occasionally take my 13 year old dsh outside with me, because he has gone out all his life. He is good for coming when called, and never lets me out of his sight. The others NEVER go out. They are adjusting just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairey-pooh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, its been almost a week now since Jasper became an indoor pussie and (fingers crossed) it all seems to be fine. He does occasionally ask to go out (mainly for doo-doo's) but apart from that....it seems to be fine

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well no matter what ANYONE says I am still not convinced that a cat should be let outside to roam. They CAN runaway,get in fights,get fleas,KILL birds or mice(and get sick from both),or get killed by another animal or ,sadly, a cat hating person. Death does not have to happen by a moving vehicle. I really believe that if one truly loves their cat they will keep them inside where it is safe and warm.It is a mindset that some people just have that a cat is only happy when they are allowed to be outside. Buy a harness and then take your cat out for a little romp.
A harness was made for just that reason. Do you really think a cat cannot get lost?????
Sorry there is no convincing me
That is how I feel.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree with you, it depends on the cat and the situation the owner has as to whether it is an outside cat, inside/outside cat or inside only cat. Since I deal with only ferals, all my cats are inside/outside. The only inside kitties I ever had were blind. But cats can die inside of a house as well as outside, they can fight if you have to many in a small space and they can even get fleas under the right circumstances. I don't think anyone who knows me would say I do not love my cats and they are inside/outside, I live in the country and have acreage and a hay barn and a need for cats that are good mousers, and as I rescue feral colonies, I return the favor and let them keep their hunting instincts primed and give them the freedom they need at the same time. I have one feral that if I pick him up he will love and purr and cuddle with me, but if I bring him inside he will total the room in less than 5 minutes and rip a hole in the wall to escape. Judy, it is admirable that you feel the way you do, but I have my own reasons for feeling just the opposite of you and I hope you will accept that, as I accept your reasons for believing so strongly. All my cats are kept current in shots as well and are spayed and neutered as soon as it is safe to do so. I deal a lot in kittens.

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O.K. I realize feral cats are different from the domestic ones and I guess everyone has different feelings on the subject of in or out cats. In our town and many,many,others here in the good old U.S.A. it is illegal to let your cats roam. Feral cats are also illegal to feed and if you get caught it's a pretty big fine just for feeding them!!!All cats found by the village are taken to the aminal pound where they stay for 2 weeks and if not claimed they are put down. I guess where you live the laws are not the same,but to me it is one way to keep the cat population down as there are MANY owners who do not take their cats to the vet to get the necessary shots and to have them "fixed". So if you feel comfortable letting your cats out then that is your right. And bless you for taking care of the ferals.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky in that there isn't a feral cat problem in my area, for the most part any stray cat that wanders into someones yard, is taken in as a pet. The majority of pet owners in this area are pretty responsible as far as spaying/neutering and keeping their cats updated on shots, so there aren't many unwanted animals. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, thats where my three kittens came from, unwanted litters. I respect the fact that you love your cats so much that you want to keep them inside and safe. Four out of five of my cats are inside only, so believe me, I understand where you're coming from. Just realize that it does depend on the situation as to whether or not this is feasible

By the way, I'm not the feral Guradian Angel, that would be Hissy. She is more than deserving of your respect and blessings

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O.K. Melissa I will take the blessings back
Sorry I do not read all the forums that are here so I do not know who Hissy is
And lets just say you raise your cats the way you want and I will do the same.
Everyone has a right to do what they want and all I wanted you to know is that where I live it is illegal to let cats roam unattended. I try to obey the law
Now I would just like to thank everyone who takes care of their cats inside or out even though I prefer cats be kept indoors

bubbles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work in the local humane association. I live in a small, family-type city, relatively crime-free (just so you don't think I live in New York or something). We have lots of farms around, and the local pasttime is bowling (yahooo!).
We are a no-kill (as much as possible) facility, and I can tell you we get cats in ALL THE TIME. Right now we have 80 cats. Most of them were picked up as strays, but it is obvious they have been owned at sometime. They are friendly, but cautious. Some have collars. Many have been in fights, a surprizingly high number have been abused. They come in with cans tied to their tails, things around their necks, burned, cut, fur pulled out, parts missing. REcently we had a guy come to town who "specializes" in dog fighting. People's cats have been disappearing and showing up in the shelter - guess how? - yup, used as bait.
The main problem is not the truly feral population. The problem is people let their cats out and they don't come back. Someone sees a cat on the street and takes it, or runs it down, or brings it in. But fewer than 6% of cats coming to the shelter are ever reclaimed by the original owner.
I find shelter work to be hard, dirty work. I love it though. If you must let your cat out, PLEASE licence it. At least give us a fighting chance. And it would be nice, even if I can't get your cat back to you for whatever reason, if I could call you and tell you what happened to it.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There's obviously going to be pros and cons to both sides. I too also believe that the situation dictates the decision of the owner. You can be a responsible pet owner and still let your cat out.

I however, having had the worst experience of ever since owning a cat for quite some time, will not let Opie out again. Opie is not so much in a hurry to go outside anymore...but then again he's in recovery. I do however own nine cats and there's no way that a few of them will ever adapt to the indoors.

I don't believe anyone should pass judgement regarding their decision, but unless someone has made a very poor choice (ie living in a high traffic neighborhood, loose dogs, not having them vaccinated nor licenced) then I think that person wouldn't be classified as a responsible pet owner.

To be quite honest, if I didn't have any of the cats I have now, I would more than likely keep all of them inside; but I can't change the way my boys perceive their lives. They've been indoor/outdoor babies all their lives and I'm not taking that freedom away from them.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to let you know, all my cats are microchipped, so if they do get lost and turn up in a shelter or vet's office they will be found. I have had a few returned to me that way. Plus all my neighbors on the street are aware of my cats and what they look like. Anytime I get a new one, I take a photo, start knocking on doors show the neighbors my new one and inquire if they know of a "good" home. All the vets in the area know of me and my cats as do the shelters.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All my cats are microchipped too.... I think its very important just in case...even my indoor one was chipped too incase she escaped somehow. Thankfully our neighbourhood is a very cat friendly place Im pleased to say!

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lindsay you are an
When will people realize that a SAFE cat is an INDOOR cat. Your work at the shelter must bring you great joy
and also great sadness
I live in a Chicago suburb and I read all the time about the pit bull fighting that goes on in the city. The police just can;t seem to stop it and I have heard about these vicious dogs being given cats as bait.The poor dogs are beaten and starved,almost to death, so a cat becomes a welcome meal to them. How very sad,but true which is ANOTHER reason to keep a cat indoors. I thank you for giving more facts on the subject about outdoor cats, but we will NEVER convince everyone. I do feel that if we can get at least a few people to change their minds than we have succeeded in saving the lives of these wonderful creatures called CATS.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the main reason you will never convince everyone is because it isn't the right choice for everyone. Having an outside cat does not mean you are handing it a death sentence.

bubbles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You make my life easier!!!
Keep in mind though, that not all shelters check for chips, and not all scanners can read all companies' chips. Find out what kind of chip scanner your local shelter uses, and get that kind of chip (this is not directed at those of you who have microchipped your cats, but those who are thinking about it or planning on it).
I did not intend to give an opinion on this in my post (I guess it kind of came out anyway though). All I wanted to do was let people know what I see of your cats on my end of things.
Yes, when I have cats, they will be indoor only. I don't want to push my views on anyone though, about this or anything else. We all make our own choices.
England, by the way, seems to be different, and I may have different views if I lived there. My opinion does not extend to those of you who do live there.