Incision Thread Poking Out

Noelle396

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat was spayed 9 days ago and I just noticed tiny bits of thread poking out her incision. It is my first time to have my cat spayed so I'm quite unsure what's happening. Is this normal or part of the healing process? I didn't see this thread the last time I checked her belly. I don't want to overthink but I'm somehow worried that her wound might open up or infected because she's an active cat. I never let her go outdoors but she likes to move around the house. She has a big appetite too which led her to be get excited (running, jumping) everytime it's feeding time.

Her vet is on maternity leave, that's why I can't contact or visit her clinic because it's close. The bluish/brownish stains around the wound are from the antiseptic sprays.

Anyway, I would like to know your insights about her wound to have a peace of mind. Thank you so much.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat was spayed 9 days ago and I just noticed tiny bits of thread poking out her incision. It is my first time to have my cat spayed so I'm quite unsure what's happening. Is this normal or part of the healing process? I didn't see this thread the last time I checked her belly. I don't want to overthink but I'm somehow worried that her wound might open up or infected because she's an active cat. I never let her go outdoors but she likes to move around the house. She has a big appetite too which led her to be get excited (running, jumping) everytime it's feeding time.

Her vet is on maternity leave, that's why I can't contact or visit her clinic because it's close. The bluish/brownish stains around the wound are from the antiseptic sprays.

Anyway, I would like to know your insights about her wound to have a peace of mind. Thank you so much.
Wow, your Vet did an amazing job. :thumbsup:

What you are probably seeing is the absorbable sutures, and sometimes the cat's body moves them towards the surface, to expel them from the body.
I remember seeing this with my own female cat,..and like you,...the suture was not there, the day before.
Dissolving Stitches in Cats

If you want, you can 'trim the excess suture' close to where the knot is,...a few millimeters away,...so that your cat does not bite it, and pull it away on her own.
But you have to be extremely careful, to not accidentally cut your cat,...and it's a lot easier to do when our cats are sleepy, or when you have another person to hold her.
If you leave it alone, it's okay, too.

(You don't have to worry about her wound opening up, since there are usually three layers of sutures:..the abdominal wall layer, the subcutaneous and fat layer, and then the last skin layer, which can be sometimes closed up with surgical glue, or the sutures are done in such a way, that the incision site folds over itself. (youtube videos show how some vets do these closures))

Anyhow, as long as the incision does not open further, or you do not see white or yellow discharge, excess bleeding, redness, and heat at the site,..then you know that the incision site is healing well.
With your cat eating, and acting her usual self, that is good also.

You could put a bit of saline solution, or weak chamomile tea (german type, with no additives)...on the bottom...where you see that she has scratched at the incision site...but it's not necessary.
She probably just scratched it because it feels a bit itchy, and strange to her.

How old is your cat?
What is her name?
And can we see a full photo of her?
(we really like photos here, at the Cat Site.) :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle396

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I feel much better now. ๐Ÿฅฐ This is my cat, Mikay. She's 5 months old so her activeness worry me sometimes. ๐Ÿ˜… Again, thank you very much. So happy to be here. ๐Ÿฅฐ

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I feel much better now. ๐Ÿฅฐ This is my cat, Mikay. She's 5 months old so her activeness worry me sometimes. ๐Ÿ˜… Again, thank you very much. So happy to be here. ๐Ÿฅฐ
You are very welcome.

Oh, wow, she is gorgeous!! :loveeyes:
Does she have three colours on her fur?
And is that a cute red bowtie?

Adorable. :heartshape::lovecat2:

Yes, I guess at 5 months old, your Mikay...does have to cause you some natural worry...from time to time...with all the kitten running around, playing, chewing, hiding, jumping, climbing, etc.
Basically just being a normal kitten. :lol:

They grow up so fast,...so take plenty of photos...even if they are just blurry...while running. :blush:
Thank you so much for the photo.
Kitten photos make my night, and day, too. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle396

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very welcome.

Oh, wow, she is gorgeous!! :loveeyes:
Does she have three colours on her fur?
And is that a cute red bowtie?

Adorable. :heartshape::lovecat2:

Yes, I guess at 5 months old, your Mikay...does have to cause you some natural worry...from time to time...with all the kitten running around, playing, chewing, hiding, jumping, climbing, etc.
Basically just being a normal kitten. :lol:

They grow up so fast,...so take plenty of photos...even if they are just blurry...while running. :blush:
Thank you so much for the photo.
Kitten photos make my night, and day, too. :)
Aww, thank you so much. ๐Ÿฅฐ Yes she's a tricolor kitten with a red bowtie on her neck. ๐Ÿ˜ She's quite rebellious when I restraint her from active especially in her situation as of the moment
๐Ÿ˜… But nonetheless, I still love this munchkin. ๐Ÿ˜† I got many pictures of her in my mobile. I look like a cat stalker of own cat for having tons of them. ๐Ÿ˜†

Have a great night by the way. ๐Ÿฅฐ

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, thank you so much. ๐Ÿฅฐ Yes she's a tricolor kitten with a red bowtie on her neck. ๐Ÿ˜
It's going to be so interesting when your Mikay grows up, to see how the colours change,..if they get lighter or darker.
I think her eye colour will remain the same, though, that blue-grey colour.

And yes, that red bowtie makes her look both handsome and cute. :cool2: :blush:
Like she is going out to a party, or maybe a to a fancy restaurant. :coolcat::redcat:๐Ÿฅ˜๐Ÿฒ๐Ÿฅ—๐Ÿฅฎ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ
She's quite rebellious when I restraint her from active especially in her situation as of the moment
๐Ÿ˜… But nonetheless, I still love this munchkin. ๐Ÿ˜†
Yes, I bet she is rebellious. ๐Ÿ˜„
And very playful and active.
She has the look, in her eye,...of, "you better try to run fast and catch me"...or "only try when I am sleeping". :kneading:

Kittens seem to have never-ending energy
I don't know where they get it from.
Then they do stop, and sleep,...wherever they want.
Usually in all sorts of different places. :catlove:
I got many pictures of her in my mobile. I look like a cat stalker of own cat for having tons of them. ๐Ÿ˜†
:spew::crackup:Ohh, you made me laugh so hard.
The part about..."...I look like a cat stalker of own cat for having tons of them. ๐Ÿ˜†"
looking like 'a cat stalker of your own cat'....hahaha....
That is so hilarious and funny. :flail:

I could now see your kitten Mikay, calling the news...to tell them...that 'cat paparazzi' is following her, and taking all sorts of photos. :crackup::lol:

Being a 'cat stalker' of your own cat...is a nice way of saying...you have tons of photos. :blush:
I have not heard that one, before. :lol:
Have a great night by the way. ๐Ÿฅฐ
You too, have a great night. :wave3:
Thanks for making me laugh so much.
Good Night. :bluepaw: ๐ŸŒƒ๐ŸŒŒ