Imprinted Feral But Moving Across Country?

middleparts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I have been taking care of a feral cat since July and have been able to pick him up, introduce him to others carefully, and let him wander my house a few times (he’s skittish still and cannot be let loose as he’s clearly not neutered & has scratched furniture).

I have a pretty deep bond with the cat and see him every day, however I’m moving from Georgia to California in 2 months. I don’t know what to do as I fear taking him to be neutered would be very distressing for him if not impossible.

Even if I neutered him, it would be a 4 day trip across country in which we would stay in hotels at night and I can’t adjust him to cars this quickly let alone 8-9 hour a day rides.

Aside from that, he’d have to be socialized to a new house (and we’d have to rent a cat friendly one when its already hard to find a place in Santa Barbara) and he would want to go outside as he’s feral but it would be a completely new environment.

However, I can’t leave him alone with no one to feed or take care of him and I feel bad enough leaving when he seems so attached to me as is.

I’m currently attempting my first night with him inside a bathroom as a raccoon came straight up to my back door (picture attached) where he normally sleeps and eats & he refused to go back outside from fear.

Even if it goes well, I don’t know where to go from here.

Does someone have any advice on how to keep this super cuddly (once he’s comfortable with you) cat safe? I fear trying to take him to a shelter before I move and them putting him down....

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get him a room of his own and allow him to adapt to inside living. A neuter is an absolute must. It is a very simple procedure for males. You can take him in the morning and pick him up in the evening. He will be feeling fine in a just a day or so. I would get him neutered now and then you can bring him home and allow him to recover inside your home. Just be sure he has a room of his own so he can calmly recooperate.

As for driving across the country, you might be able to get sedatives from the vet. This would allow him to calmly ride in the carrier. When staying in motels, you could get a dog cage to place him in that has room for a litter box.

There also are services that will drive your pet across country. You might look into that if it would be easier for you and the cat.

Please don't leave him behind. But most importantly please get him neutered. When he is outside and not neutered he can become completely hormone driven. He is impregnating females, he can be prone to getting into fights with other male cats which then makes him very susceptible to feline diseases.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You also need to find out from your vet about necessary immunizations. There are rules and restrictions for Interstate transport of domestic animals. An animals from Georgia could carry parasites and viruses that they do not have in as much abundance in California or the other states he would be crossing.
Specific immunizations might be required for California that are not required for Georgia and you will need certifications of the immunizations and veterinary treatments for pet licensing.
Where are you in Georgia? Roughly, you don't have to be specific.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, for interstate travel you just need a rabies certificate and a health certificate. California may have stricter laws.

Yes, I'd recommend having him neutered right away. Give the hormones time to clear his system. He may calm down a lot after that. He will be stressed by going to the vet but he has plenty of time to recover from that. Just pop him in a carrier before he knows what's happening. If he figures it out or resists going in, rent a Havahart trap and get him that way.

If he hasn't calmed down by the time of the trip: just stick him in a large carrier with puppy pads all over the bottom and don't let him out until he's safe in the new home (in a separate room that can be closed off from the movers). Only open it (with all car/hotel room doors closed) to put food or water in. He'll have a bad few days of it. But he'll recover. The most important thing is that he not escape on the way.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I strongly, strongly agree with everyone above on virtually (or possibly everything:) ) said by all! I wish I could say I'll keep it short as possible - - - but I feel so strongly that he's meant to be with you that I'm sure I won't exactly be short - sorry in advance of writing this :)

First - I LOVE the raccoon/kitty pic! And it's a good pic to think about as you're making your decision. Look where your guy feels safe from the (very large and bold!) raccoon - - inside with you. :itslove: Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words! If that one raccoon struck fear in his heart, I can't imagine how he'd feel if left alone to conquer the outside world and all of its raccoons without the biggest comfort in his life - which is obviously you. :hearthrob:

If you're already able to pick him up and bring him inside - all since only July - - trust me, he's bonded to you and done so VERY quickly for a feral kitty! Many of us on this site have worked for months - sometimes years - just to be able to stroke a feral kitty as he eats, and even then, often ONLY as he eats! We've currently got a feral that we TNR'd (trapped, neutered, and released) that we've worked with daily for almost 3 years. And just LAST MONTH my husband was finally able to stroke his head as he (the cat, not my husband) ate! So your sweetie is actually moving at lightening speed as far as socialization and sounds very bonded to you already. However, leaving him and hoping he'll bond to another person as he has you is beyond iffy. Totally outside cats (even un-feral ones) - - particularly ones who are not "fixed" (spayed or neutered) tend to have very short life-spans. And it sounds like your guy already loves you - all of the issues between moving him with you or leaving him are actually pretty easily dealt with (although I understand ANYTHING involving moving - particularly that far - and animal - - is stressful - - so I'm not meaning to make light of it at al!!!!). Especially when you consider what leaving him will probably mean for him.

Finding a shelter for him would be very difficult. Most shelters are filled to the brim 99.9% of the time, and very long waiting lists are common. Even no-kill shelters rarely take true ferals (although it sounds like your guy might be a stray who's reverted to some "feral tendencies" vs a true feral, which has had no real human contact) as adopting a true feral is virtually impossible. Most shelters, even if they do take them in, will simply euthanize feral cats.

I couldn't decide in reading your note if you do have other cats/animals. It doesn't sound as though you do? If so - it's critical that he be vetted before any more contact is made with any other cats you might have. If you don't - - it still should happen asap. Neutering him asap is also critical on many levels. When he's outside - he's likely making new kittens - and lots of them. Most of which won't survive - and as someone who obviously is a cat-lover, I'm sure you don't want that. Leaving him unneutered also really makes his life outside far more dangerous, as he'll travel far and wide (often across busy roads) to get to a female in heat. He'll also fight - often to the point of serious injury - over territory and female cats. But it's also very critical to neuter him ASAP if you're bringing him in. Neutering him will make his inside life (and consequently, yours!!!!) MUCH more pleasant. It eliminates several health issues that can come up - - -but most importantly, it will virtually eliminate his desire to dash out a door or window, because if he's not neutered and smells an unfixed female cat in heat (and boy their noses can sense it!!!) he'll do almost anything to get outside to find her!! SOO many cats are lost because of that. It will also VASTLY reduce the chance he'd have a desire to "mark" his territory inside - definitely something you just plain don't want to start :)

And spaying and neutering are basically VERY simple, quick procedures. Particularly if he is a male - - neutering is amazingly quick, with an EXTREMELY quick recovery time. Male kitties are generally basically back to feeling 100% the next day! We always laugh when we foster male kittens or cats - - -that the post-neutering orders by the vet to "keep their activity level as low as possible - limit running and jumping, etc. - for several days after surgery" is by FAR the hardest part of the surgery process! Most kitties are back to running and jumping the next day!!! It's actually amazing. And if you're worried he'll "hold it against you" - - he won't. Again - a few treats later and he'll forget it even happened!

And getting him to the vet - if you're able to handle him at all - shouldn't be that horrid. Talk to your vet first and explain your concerns. If you're worried about getting him into a carrier - we use a laser pointer with our cats who don't like to get into carriers. We get the kitty chasing the laser pointer in play several days in advance of the visit. And we put the carrier on the floor - door open a few days ahead - - and practice having him chase the laser pointer dot into the carrier and back out. Soon the carrier will become just another part of the chasing game. So before the visit - just get him playing as usual with the laser pointer - lead him into the carrier, and quickly close the carrier door the minute he enters it and TADA! He's ready to go! (it's easier with two people - one to use the pointer - one to shut the door very quickly behind him). Then over the next month or so before you leave -- - set the carrier out again so it's not a scary thing -- - and practice the laser pointer game in and out of the carrier.

As far as traveling with him - - you'll find many websites that list pet-friendly hotels across the country. Most of those sites are also very helpful as far as traveling with your pet. And as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned - a vet will likely prescribe mild sedatives to help him travel.

To me (and I'm sure he'd say the same thing if he could talk) - - he'd GLADLY trade a few days of less-than-fun car travel for a lifetime of being safe, with a full belly, and being very loved by the person he CHOSE...that FAR outweighs those slightly tougher travel days!!!! I think the decision became a no-brainer the minute he chose you...and you let him into your heart (and now your home).

Keep us posted on how things go - - - and any questions - ask this forum!!! I wish you both SUCH such good luck - and a long life of happy loving togetherness.

(sorry so long - that was long even for ME!!!)...