TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shipping costs might be a problem.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As other have said, yes, I'm sure she has fleas, even if you can't see them. Medicine drops on her neck will keep her in the clear (and slightly greasy for a few days! haha).

Litter-wise, a dish pan sounds a little small to me. Bigger is better, honestly (I mean, the whole world is her regular litter box anyway!). Do you have a plastic storage bin? Like the big ones with lids that are for storage? If you leave the lid off and cut a little door on one side towards the top, those work very nicely for litter boxes. Enough "floor space" and high sides to prevent diggers from tossing the litter everywhere. (and some people leave the lids on; my cats don't like the enclosed space to do their business in.)
Like this: (we cut our doorway higher and skinnier, and we cut out the handle too. And left the lid off, of course. The black box I added is about how our opening is shaped)
diy-litter-box-hack-ideas-13.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, leil.
at the current rate of progress it looks like she will invite herself in, by winter.
i don't want to cut a cat door, since i have already spent money on a cat house that she wants no part of.
i'll start treating for fleas n worms now, just in case.

she seems to want my company only twice/day, so i may not need a litter box, but,
if weather is bad, i sure couldn't force her outside.
i actually don't care if she moves in or not, but i have little choice in the matter.
by working so hard to get her to bond to me, i ended up bound to her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's usually the way it works :) Just get a litter box and indoor pet food and water bowls and a couple of toys for when she invites herself into your home. She will explore them herself and decide whether or not the "good life" is for her, especially when winter comes. By placing these items in your house you are extending a welcome mat, and she will understand that. My three ferals thoroughly enjoy the good life indoors, and my rescued outdoor cat, who had suffered neglect, enjoys the good life indoors but also gets to go outside on walks with a lead and harness. My outdoor feral who passed enjoyed his life as an outdoor only cat with his heated cedarwood pet house on my porch and buffet fancy feast and roast chicken meals each day. They are capable of letting us know how they want to live their lives and how we can become a part of theirs, and they truly give to us even more than what we give to them.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She will explore them herself and decide whether or not the "good life" is for her, especially when winter comes.
This is true!
My in laws had a cat show up several years ago, and they started feeding her (and giving her medicine, and getting her spayed, etc.). Winter came quickly, and the made an outdoor heated little house for her to sleep in, which she gladly did for that whole winter (and possibly the next as well; I can't quite remember). Then she started short visits indoors, which always resulted in her spending about 95% of her time outside. That gradually shortened each season.... It's been 8-10 years now, and she spends most of her time snoozing in the "good life" indoors! She still loves to go out and hunt and roam, and does so whenever she wants, but she now has claimed their house as "home" and always returns after her jaunts outside. Luckily they live in a place with quite minimal traffic and people, so she is rather safe roaming about.
And she really has turned into the sweetest cat, even with my kids. And she's a torti! haha

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, you could try sitting right inside your door and feeding her there, to get her used to the idea of going indoors. Sometimes that first step of "in" is scary and that could get the ball rolling.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, if she wants in, she will have to learn a new trick.
she will have to let me pick her up.
indoors, sooner or later, she will misbehave.

if that happens, i need to be able to pick her up n dump her outside.
i am not gonna chase a cat thru the house n out the door.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what you mean by misbehave? If you provide a scratching post or two, she'll likely use that instead of your furniture. You can train cats not to jump on kitchen counters by saying NO and clapping your hands when they do, and by placing a shallow baking pan with water in it on the area for several days. Large floor plants (I have a palm tree) can be protected by placing aluminum foil over the dirt, leaving an opening for watering. Cats can be trained by out-smarting them. They don't understand the concept of punishment. For whatever misbehavior you can describe, I and others have dealt with it, and can recommend ways to handle it other than putting the cat outside. Also, there are compromises that are made when living with a pet just as there are when living with a person. There is extra cleaning involved and the sharing of one's space, particularly one's bed at night when kitty decides to curl up next to you. There's occasionally a vomited hairball to be cleaned up. These are minor inconveniences and concessions when you live with your furry best friend.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, if some cat jumps on a table n eats my dinner, i'm gonna do more than say no.
i bet tossing her out will stop that behavior.

but, there are other reasons to pick up a kitty.
what if she is hurt?
i guess i simply want some measure of control, which picking her up allows.
it wouldn't be cruel to put her out.
i can imagine no circumstances, absent severe weather, where drifter wouldn't spend most of her time outdoors. drifter is not a house cat by temperment. she remains semi feral.
thanks for offering to tell me ways to correct problems.
i'll need some back up if she comes in.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to figure out how and when to try picking up my backyard feral, too. I keep thinking to wait until she starts voluntarily jumping on my lap...which may be never. I don't think it is natural in a cat's mind to climb on humans as much as they are trained by us that it's "ok" to do. Anyway, I do worry about trying to get her to the vet if she's sick or injured. Need to be able to pick her up at some point. :agree:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it will make life much easier when you are able to handle her and pick her up, and put her into a pet carrier to take her to a vet when needed. That is something that will be the result of trust developed over time.
If she eats the food out of your plate and you get angry and pick her up and put her outside, she will not make that connection that she has done something wrong. For a cat, especially one who has had to survive by eating whatever food has been available to her, she will not understand or make a connection between your anger and putting her outside and her doing what is logical and natural for her to do, which is to avail herself of food. You would need to be careful for at least several months and not leave a plate of your food accessible to her. When I took in Sonny, my outdoor neglected cat, he had suffered from parasites and fleas and was constantly starving even though I had bowls of cat food out 24/7. It took over a month for the parasites to be expelled. But for about a half year afterwards, he would grab a loaf of bread and tear into it, or abscond with a stick of butter. Once he jumped straight into my kitchen garbage can. I did not punish him. I put the bread and the butter out of his reach. He never jumped into the garbage can again LOL it wasn't a pleasant experience for him. Over time he calmed down. He does not engage in that behavior anymore. He knows there are several plates of car food for him and his cat buddies all over my house. Patience and understanding are necessary when you take in a cat who has had to fend for herself outside and who has experienced starvation. If and when the time comes that your kitty comes inside, there are many people here who can provide you with helpful ways of dealing with the behaviors.

Last edited:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
today, after supper, i sorta pushed her off her feet, to lie next to me.
she didn't care for it, but wasn't frightened.
i didn't hold her down.
i guess my idea is to get her used to the idea that i can move her around, without
hurting.
she is really not frightened of me.
during our hour of touching after dinner, she never gets alarmed any more.

picking her up is important.
i would be very uncomfy with an animal in the house that i couldn't pick up.

orange, please let us know what you try, even if it doesn't work.
if it won't work for you, it probably won't work for me.
i can't believe this gal would ever jump on my lap.
i'm just trying to get her to lie next to me n cuddle.
but, i'm careful not to make her feel trapped.

by the way, i know cats sometimes get sleepy eye discharge in the corner of their eyes, just like i do.
but hers is often red.
bleeding from the eyes?
she has suffered no trauma since she has been here.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ms a, i need good ways to correct her.
putting her out is my best thot.
with a normal cat or dog, i would shout NO! to get a message across.
this works well for me.
but, with drifter, an angry shout could be traumatic.
it would scare her, while it only startles normal animals.
not scaring her is the most important thing i do.
it's what i base all my actions on.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to write that I did NOT punish him. I often need to raise my voice with my cats in a stern way, usually when the two alpha males are roughhousing a little too much and I need peace in the house lol. They view me as their large non hairy human mother. But there has also been years of a deep bond of trust between me and them.

I have one cat who is still not comfortable being touched or picked up. She was one of the three ferals I took in, but she was almost a year old, and someone had shot her with a gun and there is to this day a bullet lodged in her pelvis which causes some arthritis in her leg. In order to get her to a vet a few months ago, I had to enclose her in a room and grab her with a towel and push her into the carrier. Then the vet had to sedate her in order to do X-rays and blood work. She was more skittish than usual for a few days, but quickly forgot it. It is not an ideal situation, but I work with what I've got. I wouldn't stress over not being able to pick up your feral cats. They may always be anxious and skittish. But if you need to pick them up for a vet visit, you will find a way to lure them into a pet carrier using food, or scoop them up with a blanket or towel to put them in the pet carrier. Most cats to adjust to Human handling overtime, but it may still be very stressful for others. But that is something to worry about in the future.

Last edited:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i do not punish,
i do correct.
cats, dogs, husbands, need to know what behavior is unacceptable.

being able to pick an animal up is important to me.
i will not have a cat i can't pick up in my house.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to agree with that. If Kit Kit never lets me pick her up if I need to, she'll be an outdoor cat her whole life. She doesn't have to enjoy it; she just has to allow it without scratching or biting. She is warming up fast though, so I'll probably think of something. Just not rushing things now.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i doubt rushing works.
after 45 days, i'm stunned by the change in drifter.
everything was voluntary.
it appears to me that feral cats both want n need human company.
all we need to is open a path n they will follow it.
i have no idea if cats experience love, but it sure looks like it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since humans essentially created the domestic cat out of wild feline stock, every single feral cat has the genetics for domesticity...maybe 1 generation back or several. It does seem they have a genetic memory, which predisposes them to hang around us humans who will provide food, water shelter. :catrub:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
do you suppose there is such a thing as genetic memory?
it would be cool if there was.
that's not the same as inherited traits.
dogs can be explained by inherited traits but i don't know about cats.
has any research been done?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
being able to pick an animal up is important to me.
i will not have a cat i can't pick up in my house.
Typically that's not Nature's way. Picking them up comes last - it requires their placing the utmost trust in you, as it's then they're the most vulnerable. That said, any cat can be picked up by placing one forearm under the belly and gripping the fur firmly, but without pulling, directly behind the head, but this isn't truly "picking them up" - it's simply moving them against their will.

As to correction - and this strictly anecdotal - I've never found the need to raise my voice. Once they learn the word, "no," there's no reason ever to speak above a whisper.