I'm so clueless

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my little furry girl could be pregnant,

When I got her I was told she was spayed, so outdoors she played for the last half of January, until the 31st of January came and i was kept awake with Tom cat howling on one side of my front door and Luna howling on the other! I just thought that was what cats did, so anyway that was 5 weeks ago-ish and now Luna looks quite chubby around her middle so I've double checked with the previous owner who told me as she was selling several cats that she had mine mixed up and she wasn't spayed after all, any advice on any part of this would be greatly accepted... Thankyou [emoji]128513[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou so much! I'll have a read through, so will that be a definite she is then? Haha x

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just thought I'd show my princess x

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou so much! I'll have a read through, so will that be a definite she is then? Haha x
I think we can say yes pretty definitely, if she's unspayed and a tomcat has been calling! :lol3:

She's lovely! What color is the tom (assuming he's the daddy, she may have met with a different male too)?

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really? I'm quite excited at the prospect!
The cat at the door was a black and white Tom, there were quite a few hanging around those few days though, a blue, a ginger, one very similar to Luna and also an all white.. so I suppose anything could have happened.
Is there a time frame from her being pregnant/giving birth to when I can get her spayed? As much as I love cats it's not fair for me to keep too many in such a small place x

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert but my vet told me two months after she stops nursing

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe you can safely spay your female 7-8 weeks after the litter is born. You do not need to wait until she stops nursing.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is pretty! You can get her spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. :) You should have the kittens fixed as well. :)

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oops! May just be my vet policy then :)
That might be the case. Many shelters have worked out safe practices for spay and neuter as quickly as possible.

That minimizes the risk that mom can get pregnant again.
Also, fixing kittens relatively young means they can be adopted out easily.

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I could have her done the day she has her babies I would lol! I can't see her like this again! She attacked my hand before when I stroked her tum! She's been making me stroke it any other day lol! X

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she needs a c-section you can have the spay done then. But if it's a normal birth then no. She'll need to stay inside and away from intact males until she's spayed though---nursing doesn't act as birth control for cats so they can get pregnant again at any time after the babies come.

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's true :) I'm going to be granny!! Luna has had an ultrasound and is expecting in around 2.5 weeks!!

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she had to be shaved, her fur is really thick so it took a while to do a small part down at the bottom so they seem two there, she wanted to shave further up to see how many more but Luna was so distressed so I asked her to stop (I'm so u happy seeing her u happy!) she said she thinks 3-4 but I just really wanted the pregnancy confirmed and also the estimated dates, I don't mind how many she has :) xx

lunar-tic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to be a pain, Luna has been hiding more often today, especially under my little ones bed (she never goes there) decided to start monitoring her temp too.. seems to be hovering at 37.6... is all this normal please?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The temperature is lower than normal, indicating that labor may be imminent. However, it could still take time. Also, temperature is not always the best indicator.

The hiding also indicates that she may be in early labor and having pains. Keep us posted!