I'm officially a statistic

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of years ago I lost my job through re location etc. I had that job for nearly 17 years and I was dead scared about going back into the job market etc. I started to lokk on it as a new opportunity and a god send really as I would never have left even though it was stale despite the really nice people I worked with. I dont know what it i like where you are but we have retraining stuff that you can only do if you are unemployed and I began to actually look forwrd to that and all - then when I least ecpected it I got a job, better than the last one with more money etc. So things do turn up when you least expect them - good luck and try to hold out for what your worth, not only in money but personal value!
all the best........

skykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh Raquel, I'm so sorry to hear that! Sending you immediate job vibes!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I deal with unemployed people everyday. I would suggest file for benefits as soon as possible. They may require that you be actively seeking employment in order to collect. If you recieved some sort of settlemnt that could be a time for you to rest. Large gaps in employment history may make an employer leary to hire you. If you have any questions you can pm me.

sorry you have to face this and good luck!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what its like to be in your shoes. I just got laid off on the 24th of September. For me I'm used to it. I work for the government and if you don't kiss a$$ you don't anywhere in that building. I've been working there 3 years and this is my 3rd lay off. I should be getting called back to work soon. I'm sure you'll find something out there for you. I'm looking for something part time that I can do between contract. Gotta keep that kitten fed. He's growing a nice little belly now

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But IL unemployment is easier to work with than some of the others. I was on it for 6 months when I first moved to CA (you have to go on unemployment from the state you last worked in).

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by rfox
oohhh guys...you are all so nice. I said goodbye to many people I grew to really like and we had a lot fun there. I have pics I will have to post.

I dont know what I am gonna do. I had a hard enough time choosing where I wanted to go after high school. I wanted to ask those of you who are going through this - are you, or did you, start looking for a job right away, or are you taking some time off? i dont want to look right away, partly because I dont know WHAT I want to do. i dont want to go back into manufacturing, thats for sure.
I'm so sorry about this!!!!
I will be there too the end of the month...my factory is closing down and I have been there 14 years.
I'm not sure what I will do. I may go to school....or may just take some time off and spend with my baby for a few months and then look for a job. I'm like you...don't want another manufacuring job. I'm sick of it..but not really qualified for much else. It scares the crap out of me because there are no jobs around here either.
My prayers are with you. If you need to talk....since we are in the same boat...just PM me...I won't be on for a day or two...but will check back later. Maybe we can decide what the heck to do with the rest of our lives together!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by meezermobile
I've been there. After I got layed off I decided that it was time to step back and decide what I wanted to do. That path for me was college, for you and your husband it may be different. It really is a cloud with a silver lining if you think about it. I had become complacent in a dead end job making little money. This kind of shocked me back into reality and said your better than this. Improve yourself, do what you've always wanted to do. Almost immediately after I got layed off my classes started. I'm happy to say at this point getting layed off was the best thing for me.
Just wanted to add to my last post...this was a very positive post for me! Thank you!!! I know this isn't my thread, but since this is what I too am going through, it did help me! THANKS! I need to try to look at it this way as well!!!! Maybe this isn't the end, but the beginning! (I hope) I always said this isn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life...but yet here I am 14 years later...still there...maybe getting booted out the door due to the plant closing is a good thing somehow.