I'm Engaged!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm gone for 2 weeks and look what happens! How awesome - congratulations! Colin couldn't have chosen anyone nicer. I have been married for almost 11 years now and I love it - hope you will also.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I'm leaning towards a Sunday instead of a Saturday though because it's usually less expensive.
If you have people travelling from out of state sunday may not be the best best day as they will have to arrange travel to be back at work for the monday. For some reason it is easier for people to get a Friday off then a Monday. As well, if you are having an evening reception (instead of a luncheon), the late night might make it more difficult for people to get to work the next day.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

If you have people travelling from out of state sunday may not be the best best day as they will have to arrange travel to be back at work for the monday. For some reason it is easier for people to get a Friday off then a Monday. As well, if you are having an evening reception (instead of a luncheon), the late night might make it more difficult for people to get to work the next day.
I was thinking that too- I guess it all depends on your wedding party & your guests- I'd think of whatever works best for them too, since most likely they woul dhave to take a day off if they plan on partying hard
or traveling the next day. But then again it also depends on the time of day you're planning on having your wedding. Maybe Sunday wouldnt be so bad if you had an early wedding & afternoon reception?

Have fun with all the planning- sounds like you've gotten a lot thought of already!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I missed this while I was gone!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about time!

I wish you both the best!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!!! We have a wedding date now as of yesterday!!!

It's going to be held at a lovely little chapel near us on March 15 (a saturday) in the afternoon. Aww i'm sooo excited!!! The rehersal dinner is going to be at Colin and I's favorite resturant the night before. I'm still not sure where we're going to hold the reception at the moment (there are several places we're looking at.) most likely though it will be just a cake and champagne toast (sparkling grape juice for the kiddos!) and an appetizer bar for everyone since we're going to hold it earlier in the day. (this way we save a little money instead of having to do a full course meal at a later time in the day.) We decided on a Saturday instead of Sunday because the chapel is no charge so it doesn't matter what day, so i tihnk Saturday will be easier for guests to get to.
Since there is no charge for the chapel, my mom is going to make a donation to the church.

It's just perfect too- a little bitty chapel....perfect for the smaller wedding i was wanting. We're having about 100 people- and the chapel seats between 100-150 depending on what seating you use. Aww i'm sooo excited now! Our colors are going to be several gorgeous shades of purple and a nice shade of green to go with it
I will be doing all of the ceramony flowers, and reception ones myself, and one of my really good friends is going to do by boquet and all the other fresh flowers since i don't have a cooler to store the fresh ones in at the moment. (we designed togeher when she first opened up her shop- i'm soooo picky too- she's the only other florist i trust
)

We're also planning to have this really sweet cake lady come down and do the cakes for us- she charges about 1/3 the price of most and does a gorgeous job!!! I really like that she prays over the couple and the cakes and blesses them first too!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like things are really coming along quickly now!

have you gone dress shopping yet?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

sounds like things are really coming along quickly now!

have you gone dress shopping yet?
oh wow i haven't even started that yet
i do know that i want a ballgown though that's about it

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100 people isn't a small wedding - it is a pretty good size. Mine was about 125!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I haven't seen this before.

CONGRATULATIONS, NIKKI!!!!
I know you'll have lots of fun planning your wedding...I know I did. (I think that doing event planning for work really alleviated alot of the usual wedding-planning stress for me...I'm sure that being a wedding planner will work out the same for you.) Sounds like you've got lots done already.

I love the donation idea for favors. We gave a St. Jude donation for favors, too, and just had a little box of candy on the tables with a note about the donation. People really liked it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

100 people isn't a small wedding - it is a pretty good size. Mine was about 125!
Small for my big ole' Southern family
I guess i'm used to massive southern weddings, so in my mind 100ppl was a "small wedding"
one of my friends got married recently and had 14 bridesmaids

Originally Posted by Tari

I can't believe I haven't seen this before.

CONGRATULATIONS, NIKKI!!!!
I know you'll have lots of fun planning your wedding...I know I did. (I think that doing event planning for work really alleviated alot of the usual wedding-planning stress for me...I'm sure that being a wedding planner will work out the same for you.) Sounds like you've got lots done already.

I love the donation idea for favors. We gave a St. Jude donation for favors, too, and just had a little box of candy on the tables with a note about the donation. People really liked it.
Awww Thanks!!! I'm working on my knot.com page right now (it's really helping me keep everything organized!) and trying to figure out some more details/etc today. I think next week i'll plan on looking around for a dress and get started on my centerpieces/etc. This is all really fun, but also totally stressful! (it's not the planning that bothers me, it's making sure i do everything with a reasonable budget/etc.)

I'm glad to hear of someone else doing the St. Jude donation!!!!!
St. Jude is a place that is very dear to my heart. When I was younger, one of my friends went there for a long time getting treatment for his cancer (he was my teacher's son) and passed on because it was just too fast spreading.My friends and I would spend hours at a time up there. Even after our friend passed away, we still went and did story days up there and read to the children. I absolutely love the work that those incredable people do up there to help those children who need it. St. Jude is such a wonderful place. They were sooooo good to my family and I when my cousin's baby passed on last year. We made donations in her honor and they sent them the most sweet card.

I think for Colin and I -and everyone who knows us, supporting St. Jude and making a donation in that wonderful hospital's honor is a no brainer!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please understand my previous comment about my not so hot experience was not a comment on the work that St. Jude does, rather whoever is running their fund raising!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Please understand my previous comment about my not so hot experience was not a comment on the work that St. Jude does, rather whoever is running their fund raising!
oh absolutely!!!
I wan't offended at all hon!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got married in a chapel too because our church is huge. We had about 130 people which was perfect for the chapel.

I'm sure theknot.com will be VERY helpful! I used weddingchannel.com and it definitely kept me very organized!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

We got married in a chapel too because our church is huge. We had about 130 people which was perfect for the chapel.

I'm sure theknot.com will be VERY helpful! I used weddingchannel.com and it definitely kept me very organized!
my old church is massive- it has several thousand memebers....so since i was only planning on inviting 100 or so people- it would have just looked silly having that small a crowd in such a huge space, so i was wanting a smaller venue. This little chapel is just perfect!!!
My brother-in-law's dad and step mom got married there as well and said it turned out lovely, so i'm excited!!! Thanks for the weddingchannel link! I will check it out!!