I'm A Grandma Two Three Newborn Kittens And A First Time Momma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may handle the kittens, esp as you are best buddy with momma. Dont overdo it, but there is no real problems with it. With a shy semiferal momma you must be more cautious of course.

Re blankets: a week before the adoption, you let them use adoptions blankets... :)

Eyes opening is individual, most opens around day 10-12, but it may vary before and later.

Gender decision not always easy. Easiest if you have several, boys and girls; compare them with each other.
Boys openings tends to be further away, girls nearer...

She will prob get her previous body back, more or less. Young mommas may grow up!

Yes, she isnt protected against new pregnancies, nursing doesnt not protect cats. Humans are somewhat protected, not cats. Pregnacy isnt not only heat, but if she is mated, she will get preg. Its inductiory conceptions with cats, so heat really not necessary.
I dont know who the father is she herself is black and white. Her two first borns r pure black. (I have never noticed an another male black cat.) I think the father was a feral bright long haired cat. But her kittens coloring doesn't make sense if that the case unless they took after their moms coat color. One kittens( the last one to be born is way fluffier then it's siblings) I was asking about genders because my sister in law was like I can gender them. But some articles say that u can gender them til 4-5 weeks. So should I assume she wrong? Mated? I thought cats just hooked up and go their separate ways? Do you know how old they would be to start teething. I'm guessing around 3-4weeks? Sorry about all the million questions. I know little to nothing about cats I've been researching a lot. I am more familiar w Dogs. (My family had 6+cats but I was more into dogs still am but I have started to really like cats as well.)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mating is the act of sex.

Kittens should stay with mom until they are 10-12 weeks old at least.

Mom should be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. She should not go outside at all until she is recovered from her spay surgery.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can see what sex the kittens are at any age, but it's easiest with newborns and after 5 or 6 weeks old. And even then some are a little confusing, lol. There are a lot of sites you can google to see if you can figure it out.

Boy kitties get their base color from their mom only (white isn't a base color, it's a little more complicated), and girls get colors from their mom and dad. So if the father were orange, the females would have both black and orange. The amount of white they have depends on both parents for both males and females. So probably the daddy cat didn't have any white on him, and if there are no black and orange kitties then the dad was probably black too. Once you know which ones are males and which are females you can know more about the dad.

Longhairs can pop up randomly so that doesn't mean one parent was longhaired. Both parents would have to carry the longhair gene though.