I'm A Grandma Two Three Newborn Kittens And A First Time Momma

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Couple questions because I've never dealt with cat births or tinny tiny babies. I always see the 1 month old kittens.My cat is first time mom if she gets too overwhelmed will she eat her kittens. ( I heard it's a myth but I still worry. Also Puddin' the momma cat has a brother named Houdini will he try to eat her babies. How old do the babies have to be to be able to give them away to people safely. I haven't seen her eat the placentas should I expect it or just assume she ate it. How long should I keep Puddin' inside.I don't have money to get her fixed. Should I just make her an inside cat .Even though she been outside cat a lot.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost clinic. She needs to be fixed, for the health and happiness of all involved. It is not safe for mom to be around any males, even her brother. Mom must stay inside until she is fixed. She can get pregnant again at any time.

Babies need to stay with mom until they are at least 10-12 weeks old.

Mom mostly likely ate the placentas.

Are you feeding mom unlimited dry food and meals of wet kitten food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clear lake. Y can't she be by her brother will her try to kill her babies or her? And yes on the food and water for Puddin' the kitten r super new like puddin' gave birth last night. So they drinking her milk

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Puddin' has been lovey to me then when she got pregnant she was 100x more lovey will she stay that way even though after she gives birth or will to go back her her being just sorta lovey w me

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is her brother the father?

If he is not neutered he can impregnate her again right away.

If you think he will harm the kittens he should be kept separate for now.

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I don't think he is father her babies r mostly black and white her brother is a multi colored cat

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't if Houdini would hurt her or her babies but he did hiss at her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your male is not neutered, he cannot be around your female. He can get her pregnant at any time. It is not safe. Keep them apart!

Where is Clear Lake? Which state?

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
California.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Puddin' has been lovey to me then when she got pregnant she was 100x more lovey will she stay that way even though after she gives birth or will to go back her her being just sorta lovey w me
Well, of course after the kittens are born she'll have to care for them instead of loving on you, so I'm sure a lot of that will change. Having her spayed when the kittens are old enough will keep her from having wild hormonal mood swings.

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed if I'm in the her room just to see how she is and leave the room she gets up from feeding her kittens and follows me. Will that result in her losing interest w her kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Through their Community Cat Control program, the city of Lakeport, CA, animal control will spay and neuter for free. They do require that appointments be made.

Here is a link:

Stray Cats

It's about 30 minutes from Clearlake, and in the same county.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To your scary questions:

Moms MAY kill and eat her kittens in two rare situations: 1 If she is in extreme stress. Comparing with enemy soldiers storming your house, and you decide its less evil you commit suicide together with your daughters rather then them killing, etc, you.
This is rare but not unheard of.

2. If the kitten is sick or dying. Momma want to be sure predators wont feel the smell of decaying corpse, nor ants coming in... But it is more common momma abandons it, and perhaps carries away.
But this is rather rare too, and doesnt happens with normal, healthy kittens.

Danger from her bro? The danger from fertile toms is if they are newcomers from the outside, newcomers to the are whom arent friends with momma. If they are friends with momma, they arent dangerous at all. Biological fathers or not. Not so few friends even helps out with caretaking of the kittens.

What CAN happen, is many cats arent accustomed to kittens, dont know what they are - and thus are afraid of them. So they hiss, and run away. But if unlucky they may swipe with the paw in pure self-defence, and if maximally unlucky, may hurt a kitten.
As the bro is hissing, I think he is one of those afraids, But he wont hurt them on purpose.

Separate them of course, to calm down both for momma and bro. IF they meet, if he become curious and wanna meet the newlings, be sure its ok for momma, and supervise the first meetings...

You tell he is tricolored. Is he a tortie / calico? If so, he has the genes to give them black and white. BUT most male calicos / torties are sterile. There are few male calicos, and almost all of them are sterile...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens less than 70 days apart, so they can become pregnant immediately after giving birth. There will be so many kittens you won't know what to do with them all, and THEY will start having kittens. I found out long ago it is cheaper to spay than to feed and care for all those cats. Finding good homes id not easy either, and I weep when I think of all the ferals trying to live. Their kittens could be socialized and giving the home all those kittens will take up.
I truly don't think your cat will harm her kittens, she would most likely move them to safer place if she becomes upset. Brother most likely won't hurt them either, a hiss is fear, a growl is what you look for. I have had war torn, MEAN old tom cats gently cleaning and playing with kittens that can't hardly walk, they seem to enjoy small kittens around. You need to start playing with and socializing those kittens so they are not raised wild and can find homes, mama might become concerned if they start screaming, but just calm her by holding them to her or giving them back. They will learn to love humans with handling. Thank you for giving these cats a home, you are an angel to do so. I hope everything turns out well!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shouldn't think so. She maybe just wants some attention from you as well - she sounds like she's very bonded to you :redheartpump:

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 has more experience in this area than I do, though. She may be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat's first priority right now is to care for her kittens. She is in an exceptionally loving, maternal mode now as a result of her hormones.

You should enjoy 2-3 short sessions of affection with your cat each day, yet encourage her to stay in the room with her kittens for now until they are older.

She will still love you after she is spayed eventually, but her hormones will calm down.

My cat is very loving more than two years after raising four kittens and having been spayed. :)

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How fun! You get extra lovins from your baby, and you get to play with KITTENS!!!!
I'm not sure from your comments, but you are going to have her spayed now, correct? I don't mean NOW now, but as soon as recommended for a momma cat whose given birth. A quick internet check shows "it's usually best to wait until the kittens are weaned at 6-8 weeks post birth. Some females can become pregnant very quickly after birth, so don't wait too long." We have a horrifying but solvable problem in the US regarding cat/dog overpopulation.
From the Humane Society:
About 2.4 million healthy, adoptable cats and dogs—about one every 13 seconds—are put down in U.S. shelters each year. Often these animals are the offspring of cherished family pets. Spay/neuter is a proven way to reduce pet overpopulation, ensuring that every pet has a family to love them.

FlippinEh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple questions. I looked it up on Google but it didn't really answer my questions. 1) My cat(Puddin' ) gave birth to her very first litter she isn't even a year old.She and I are very close pre pregnancy ,during pregnancy , and post pregnancy .I've been reading I shouldn't we handled ng her kittens. But she let's me and is okay with it. Is it OK to hold her babies even though article say not to but she let's me. I don't go crazy I hold(10mins) them or watch them(30mins) .2) how does my first time momma cat know when her babies have to pee does she have like potty radar .3) I let her kittens and her lay on my childhood blanket and in an article it said when ur trying to adopt the kittens out to take the blanket they slept on to their new homes.But I don't want to because my blanket(10+years old) is very precious to me. Do I just find another blanket or towel? 3)How old do the kittens have to be to see the gender of kittens. 4) How can I tell if kitten is a boy/or girl? 5) Are the kittens eyes suppose to be all the way open by a week and four day after birth or does it just depend on each kitten. 6)Since this is her first litter and first time mommy will she get her pre pregnancy body back 7)Will she to get pregnant if she goes outside and is not fixed(I know she'd get pregnant if not fixed )or she won't get pregnant til she goes back into heat?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may handle the kittens, esp as you are best buddy with momma. Dont overdo it, but there is no real problems with it. With a shy semiferal momma you must be more cautious of course.

Re blankets: a week before the adoption, you let them use adoptions blankets... :)

Eyes opening is individual, most opens around day 10-12, but it may vary before and later.

Gender decision not always easy. Easiest if you have several, boys and girls; compare them with each other.
Boys openings tends to be further away, girls nearer...

She will prob get her previous body back, more or less. Young mommas may grow up!

Yes, she isnt protected against new pregnancies, nursing doesnt not protect cats. Humans are somewhat protected, not cats. Pregnacy isnt not only heat, but if she is mated, she will get preg. Its inductiory conceptions with cats, so heat really not necessary.