If one kitten is FeLV negative, is the whole litter?

smithm1612

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just took in a kitten a week ago who is 10 weeks old. Her mother was an indoor/outdoor cat but was made permanently indoors before she gave birth. The mother is under a year old. I have two adult cats who are current on their vaccinations, but am hesitant to introduce the kitten to them beyond visual and smell introductions as I’m worried about feline AIDS/FIV and feline leukemia.
She went in for shots today and the vet did not test her, but two of her siblings did receive FeLV tests which came back negative. Does this indicate that my kitten does not put my current cats at risk and they can be introduced to each other with relative safety?
Thank you very much!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just took in a kitten a week ago who is 10 weeks old. Her mother was an indoor/outdoor cat but was made permanently indoors before she gave birth. The mother is under a year old. I have two adult cats who are current on their vaccinations, but am hesitant to introduce the kitten to them beyond visual and smell introductions as I’m worried about feline AIDS/FIV and feline leukemia.
She went in for shots today and the vet did not test her, but two of her siblings did receive FeLV tests which came back negative. Does this indicate that my kitten does not put my current cats at risk and they can be introduced to each other with relative safety?
Thank you very much!
Hi and Welcome to TCS! I would have your new kitten tested so you can have some peace of mind.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!
Isolate her until she is tested neg. kittens can clear felv in time if transmitted by mom etc. keep in mind the vax is only about 75% effective and there is more chance to transmit if cats are sharing food, litterbox and grooming etc.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
According to DVM 360 it is risky to accept one cat as representative of the entire litter in the case of FeLV.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Each cat’s immune system handles the virus differently. So while the other two kittens might have cleared the infection if exposed- it’s possible your kitten did not. I would definitely test!