Iced In!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing here yet near Lake Ontario.....10pm is zero hour! We brought up 2 loads of wood, finished roof raking from the last snow...UGH! I can tell you though that the birds KNOW what is coming. It was a full time job today just keeping the feeders full. It' s frenzy out there.

Lots of schools are already closed....something that is seldom done the day before a storm.

We are all in this one together...it helps to read and keep in touch with eachother during this.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had about two hours of sleet and now we've got snow and sleet falling together, and it's falling FAST. We're far enough north of Indy that we're missing most of the ice, but Indy is pretty much shutting down. I'm hoping for a second snow day tomorrow just so I don't have to go out in this crap, otherwise I'm going to just call in.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's some bad weather, stay safe everyone, TCS will be sure busy over the next few days.xx

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the drive home was very bad. White out conditions, and no traction. But I'm home now. Can't see far down the street. I feel for anyone out in this, especially animals.

Robin

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the animals. I had a raccoon at the bird feeder yesterday afternoon. A rara sight in the middle of winter here. But he was so hungry, just a baby from last spring.

I threw out some bread with peanut butter on it. I saw his prints this am and the bread was gone.

Keep the critters in your thoughts and prayers.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Wonder how many of those trucks have jelled fuel? They don't put the additives in the fuel in the southern states. Friend of mine has his own anti-jell additives when he heads to the deep south, just in case; he knows as he heads north again, the fuel will jell on him.
None. Twenty degrees is well above the cloud point of virtually all the diesel sold in the U.S. Ten might be a concern, and we're expecting 15 degrees tonight.

The good news is that I'm taking the week off. I was afraid it would be warm all week, then be cold next week when I have to go back to work, but it looks like it's working out for the best now.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rolling power outages have begun here...sigh. Toilet frozen, cold water frozen in 2 bathrooms. No school for second day.

But, both fireplaces are going, cats are warm, plenty of food. Could be worse.

C

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

None. Twenty degrees is well above the cloud point of virtually all the diesel sold in the U.S. Ten might be a concern, and we're expecting 15 degrees tonight.

The good news is that I'm taking the week off. I was afraid it would be warm all week, then be cold next week when I have to go back to work, but it looks like it's working out for the best now.
I didn't know that; just know what my friend told me. Not sure he's been to Texas in winter but he does cuss about other southern states and their fuel. Our diesel is supposed to be good to -25°F but I don't trust them so put Polarmaxx in anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We, too, are having random power outages to help keep the power grid working due to the high demand on electricity. So far, we've not lost power, but that may be because we're on the same grid as the hospital and/or the fire station.

My thermostat is set at 66º and I'm so cold! The kitties are napping in their beds with their heating pads and the husband is taking a nap under the electric blanket. I'm getting ready to head to the kitchen and bake some cookies.

It's now 15º and cloudy. Thankfully, all our pipes are still working and not frozen. Travel on streets is somewhat improved, but still treacherous. I was supposed to work 1p-9p, but the store is only going to be open 10-5. My boss called me earlier and gave me the option of coming in 10-5 or taking a vacation day. Guess which I chose?!? I figure he's been off for 2 weeks and I've been managing the store, so he can man it for the next 2 days without me.

Should have great weather this weekend for the Super Bowl. Oh! And my tomatoes have sprouted, so hope springs eternal!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made caramel popcorn for the party on Sunday this morning, then some pocket sandwiches for lunch. All the laundry is washed, dried and folded.

It's bad when you are looking for chores to do! LOL

I'm hoping that school is going again tomorrow. I'd like some normalcy to return.

Stay warm!

C