IBD with possible small cell lymphoma

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My goodness, I don't know where my brain is. :anon: Cypro is an appetite stimulant, and Cerenia is an anti-nausea med. Of course they can be used together. I'm so sorry for complicating things.

Is he feeling any better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bentley2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, Bentley took a turn for the better on Monday, exactly one week after his first chlorambucil dose. He is more energetic and I've gotten him to eat some canned food two mornings in a row. He will only eat it if its a freshly opened can, once refrigerated, he won't eat it. He still will eat dry duck/green pea.

I was thinking about taking his stool from this a.m. tp the vet to have a full fecal. He has never had that done. Do you think it would be important at this stage? I know the biopsies didn't show any parasites.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: I'm SO glad he's feeling better!

Is there a reason to suspect a parasite? (Diarrhea?) Does he go outdoors? Your vet is probably the best person to determine if this would be helpful or not.

And for the canned food, you can use baggies to portion the canned food and freeze leftovers. When thawed in warm water, it's fresh, not refrigerator stale. This can help reduce wasted food. :)

bentley2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bentley is inside only. I just saw that the fecal was always recommended as part of the diagnostic process. No diarrhea. I will check with the vet. I did divide the canned food and put it in small containers that I can freeze. I will try it again and see if he turns his nose up at it. He is slightly spoiled with all the steak venison and chicken breast he has been getting. I know I need to back off on it though and get him to eat a more nutritionally complete diet. Thanks for all your input! Our next hurdle is getting the labs to check blood counts before next chemo pill, hoping for good report.

bentley2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, he is not doing well again. He was very lethargic yesterday and is the same today. Not eating well again and he was trembling (pain) while tying to sleep. I will give him fluids as soon as my husband gets home, he hasn't had them since Monday. I did get some pepcid today and will give him 5 mg along with cerenia and cypro. Is it adviseable to give pepcid with other meds?

Vet called, it was confirmed that it is definitely T cell lymphoma (small cell). I just was so encouraged when he seemed so much better on Monday and Tuesday. The Chlorambucil that he took was 5.6 mg and I'm wondering if that is strong enough for a 12.5 lb cat. I saw Dr. Jory on the other site said that would be for a 10.3 lb cat. Don't know if it makes that much difference.

I will give this another couple of weeks. If Bentley doesn't improve I think it is cruel to make him live like this, he's not having fun. He didn't even get excited for steak last night or today. I did get a little more canned food down him. I can't figure out how he is holding his weight right now. He must eat during the night because he eats just small amounts of dry food several times per day. He is pooping every day so I know there is food going in.

Discouraged.....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I have ever heard about Pepcid is that it can affect absorption of some medications because it reduces the acid in the stomach.  I don't know what else he is getting orally but I don't think it would cause a problem with the cerenia and appetite stimulant.  I think Pepcid is one of those very safe medications that isn't a big problem with other medications.  I would wait for advice from LDG, she's been through this chemo and more medications than I have.  I have only given Patches the flagyl, steroid, and the pepcid.  I don't even know if he has taken an appetite stimulant.  He might have been when he was hospitalized.  All three times he wasn't  released home until he was either eating or had a feeding tube in.

He has really been up and down.  He is having good days rather than all bad now which I think is a good sign.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I wonder if lowering the dose but giving it more frequently would help? :dk: I know there's all kind of dosing info out there.

I'm so sorry.

As to the pepcid, I never gave it WITH the other medications. I gave him cerenia and the app stim in the morning before his meal. I gave him sucralfate after his meal, and I gave 10mg of pepcid a/c at night. It works for 24 hour coverage when given at least an hour after (or before) any food.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heart2:

bentley2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bentley is better again today. The fluids really helped. I also have him cerenia, Pepcid and a little cypro yesterday afternoon. I will continue with fluids every other day for support and maybe the meds too. I went back to giving 5 mg prednilisone orally and 5 mg transdermally because dr. Jory says that the transdermal doesn't work. I hate giving pills so I am compromising. I will have his CBC drawn on Monday before his next chemo. Hope blood counts are okay.

cuttycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

one of my Bengal boys has IBD, and bloody stools and watery stools are all too familiar. What we found to help is diet but also when he has his episodes supplementing with Purina Fortiflora and making a slippery elm bark syrup. The syrup is by far the most effective thing we tried, the recipe is simple, I found it online in a forum and later on in Anitra Frazier's book. 

Raw meat helped in the past , we had a whole year of rabbit, venison and veal but he eventually got bored. Foods that seem to agree with him are Katovitt, Ziwipeak (although he doesn't like it on a  regular basis), James Wellbeloved pouches, Royal Canin Sensitive stomach. I give him a little dry food in the evenings, Royal Canin Sensible, Canagan Chicken and Z/d and D/d special diets seem to be fine, but he is very fussy and need to constantly change the menu.

I hope this helps.

bentley2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If and when Bentley will eat canned food it has to be pâté he won't touch chunky canned food. I am happy to report that he is doing very well. He eats mostly dry duck/pea and Fromm grain free that unfortunately has several meat sources but he likes it. I still give him steak and roast beef every day in small amounts and his weight is now 12.9 so he gained back a pound since 8/19. Labs yesterday were excellent, in fact his hematocrit was 31.8 up from 28 on 8/26 before I started the chlorambucil. White count was 17, down from 23 which was high. I will give him his second chlorambucil tonight and will be dosing every 15 or 16 days instead of 14 so we can avoid a dose when we are on vacation in October. I don't want him to need supportive meds while we are gone. He is acting more like himself and I am now optimistic. I just hope that his immune system will be strong enough to ward off additional problems like infections and other cancers. Thank you everyone for all the encouragement that you offered when I was literally crazy with worry.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad he is doing so well.  I think he is going to beat this and be with you for many more years.