IBD cat not eating

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's definitely possible to feed duck and rabbit white avoiding carageen. There are members on here who know which canned foods would contain those proteins and lack the awful stuff. Perhaps you could do a search for that on the site, if one of them doesn't show up on your thread. I'm a raw feeder, so I dont know which canned brands those would be off the top of my head. I do know they exist and you do not have to feed your cat food w/ carageen just because the vet said so. Years ago, one of my cats was needlessly placed on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Food and was in the hospital a week later due to that food (surprise, it caused inflammation). I found out that it had carageen in it (among other things) and told the vet. They didn't see that as a problem and I no longer take my cats there.

In the meantime, there are foods like Stella & Chewies or Primal which have rabbit and duck without the carageen. It's freeze dried raw, if that's something you're interested in.

Absolutely Rabbit Freeze Dried Dinner Morsels for cats (stellaandchewys.com)
Feline Freeze-Dried Nuggets Rabbit | Primal Pet Foods
Feline Freeze-Dried Nuggets Duck | Primal Pet Foods
Stella & Chewies has duck as well, but theirs also contains goose and turkey. I figured you'd want only rabbit and only duck since it sounds like your vet is doing a food trial.

Like I said, there are canned foods that you can try as well. I just dont know the names of the brands off the top of my head, but I know I've seen threads on here of people talking about canned food that doesn't have carageen in it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's definitely possible to feed duck and rabbit white avoiding carageen. There are members on here who know which canned foods would contain those proteins and lack the awful stuff. Perhaps you could do a search for that on the site, if one of them doesn't show up on your thread. I'm a raw feeder, so I dont know which canned brands those would be off the top of my head. I do know they exist and you do not have to feed your cat food w/ carageen just because the vet said so. Years ago, one of my cats was needlessly placed on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Food and was in the hospital a week later due to that food (surprise, it caused inflammation). I found out that it had carageen in it (among other things) and told the vet. They didn't see that as a problem and I no longer take my cats there.

In the meantime, there are foods like Stella & Chewies or Primal which have rabbit and duck without the carageen. It's freeze dried raw, if that's something you're interested in.

Absolutely Rabbit Freeze Dried Dinner Morsels for cats (stellaandchewys.com)
Feline Freeze-Dried Nuggets Rabbit | Primal Pet Foods
Feline Freeze-Dried Nuggets Duck | Primal Pet Foods
Stella & Chewies has duck as well, but theirs also contains goose and turkey. I figured you'd want only rabbit and only duck since it sounds like your vet is doing a food trial.

Like I said, there are canned foods that you can try as well. I just dont know the names of the brands off the top of my head, but I know I've seen threads on here of people talking about canned food that doesn't have carageen in it.
Thank you, I just feel worried I'm going to cause some weird rift with my vet as he is her IM and there does not seem to be a lot of internal medicine options for my area. So, I don't really want to burn bridges but also don't want my girl sick.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry about your kitty having difficult time :petcat:

My IBD cats are doing pretty good with Mouser Rabbit (Mouse plus Rabbit). They have Duck too but mine hates Duck. They use Tomato Paste as thickener.

Almost all the other rabbit foods are off their plate for various reasons;
  • Rawz - was their food but stopped eating earlier this year, around April
  • Instinct original and LID - has pea or flaxseed, they are allergic to
  • Merrick purrfect bistro - has flaxseed, and contains Chicken (not a issue for us)
  • Merrick backcountry - contains Chicken (not a issue for us but doesn't seem to agree with their tummy)
  • I and love and you Wabbit - has flaxseed
  • Dr. Elsey - flaxseed, mussel (they are allergic to)
  • Lotus - has pea
  • Freely - has pea
  • Nature's logic - flaxseed
  • Wysong - not a complete food
  • Identity - this is the only other possibility without problem ingredients for us, but human didn't like it much because it smells like pumpkin
Our Dr. says avoid carageenan.

Hopefully you'll find something agree with your kitty's tummy, very soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry about your kitty having difficult time :petcat:

My IBD cats are doing pretty good with Mouser Rabbit (Mouse plus Rabbit). They have Duck too but mine hates Duck. They use Tomato Paste as thickener.

Almost all the other rabbit foods are off their plate for various reasons;
  • Rawz - was their food but stopped eating earlier this year, around April
  • Instinct original and LID - has pea or flaxseed, they are allergic to
  • Merrick purrfect bistro - has flaxseed, and contains Chicken (not a issue for us)
  • Merrick backcountry - contains Chicken (not a issue for us but doesn't seem to agree with their tummy)
  • I and love and you Wabbit - has flaxseed
  • Dr. Elsey - flaxseed, mussel (they are allergic to)
  • Lotus - has pea
  • Freely - has pea
  • Nature's logic - flaxseed
  • Wysong - not a complete food
  • Identity - this is the only other possibility without problem ingredients for us, but human didn't like it much because it smells like pumpkin
Our Dr. says avoid carageenan.

Hopefully you'll find something agree with your kitty's tummy, very soon!
Thanks so much!