IBD cat not eating

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Dude started vomiting this a.m., is just sleeping & isn't eating. Hopefully just from the Solensia shot on Friday. So I started SEB as a precaution. Another tip: I massage Dude's belly. You can feel the ropy intestines. It seems to help him, or maybe helps me to feel like I'm doing something to help him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I hope he feels better soon!

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Dude started vomiting this a.m., is just sleeping & isn't eating. Hopefully just from the Solensia shot on Friday. So I started SEB as a precaution. Another tip: I massage Dude's belly. You can feel the ropy intestines. It seems to help him, or maybe helps me to feel like I'm doing something to help him.
Is Dude feeling any better?

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Dude feeling any better?
Hi, thanks for asking. He's not eating very well even with stimulants & is sleeping a lot (of course except at night when he keeps me awake). It's hard to tell if this is still from Solensia/cyproheptadine/Elura side effects or advancement of his CKD/IBD. He hasn't lost weight in the last week, so he's eating enough for his activity level.

How is Chatchka adjusting?

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a rough go of it the past few days. She's really started to hate pilling and I do too bc of that. Her eating also dropped and has me more stressed than I want to be. However, I finally found a gel capsule today that is vegetarian truly (was instructed not to use a traditional gel cap bc of IBD protein sensitivity) and is size 4, so a reasonable kitty size. There is hope again, bc she handles those so much better than the straight pills. Cerenia is the worst one bc it's so small and tastes so bad. She came around a bit today, so I do also wonder if it is the Chlorambucil first day that really knocks her appetite out. I'm sorry Dude isn't eating well either. Hopefully, he will come around too.

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, Chatchka loafs/hunches every time after she eats. She did not used to do this growing up and it has been observable ever since the IBD journey began. It pains me to see her doing this. My IM vet's solution or answer is that he can only really know the nuanced symptoms origin if he biopsies her again, but surgically this time. Last time it was endoscopic. He's happy with where she is now based on her weight, but for me watching her hunch after every meal doesn't feel like she's doing great. Muddling through maybe, but not great. We have her on Prednisolone and Chlorambucil (nausea meds as needed) with HP diet of wet and dry, but she really eats mainly dry-preference not availability. The wet zd she really only eats when I top it with nutritional yeast. And lucky cats seem to really only have one or two otpions for HP diets, so that's fun. I've been scouring the internet for any options on this but I am hitting dead ends every time. If anyone has some thoughts for what to do, I'm all ears. Thanks!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi T Tummytrouble !

Have you heard of or had any experience with any of the online groups/communities for chronic feline health conditions?

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi W whiteshadow !
I have heard of the groups for IBD but have been reluctant to join bc from what I can gather they are adamant about raw food only and don't take well to people still giving their cats dry food. Maybe I have the completely wrong impression, but it put me off from joining to be honest.

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi W whiteshadow !
I have heard of the groups for IBD but have been reluctant to join bc from what I can gather they are adamant about raw food only and don't take well to people still giving their cats dry food. Maybe I have the completely wrong impression, but it put me off from joining to be honest.
I did go and look at the IBD kitties on Facebook and sent a request to join. After reading their description they seem very open and on the same page I'm on, thanks!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not been a member of that group so no recommendation/dissuasion from me! From direct experience and from listening to what others have had to say about certain specialized groups, I understand the potential benefits of membership in them. And, I believe, it's only from direct experience that one can understand their value.

For years, the founder of ibd kitties sent out a newsletter (I subscribed just to learn) and that was always 'chock full' of quality, "wow!" material. That person is/was a "saint" (as certain folks are called in the cat community), and what I will call, a zealot, in the best of ways! Often, head-turning!

I just read through their membership rules - if you haven't, you should read them - some of those, themselves, are head-turners! BUT, I saw nothing whatsoever about any raw food mandate. In fact, I read this: "NO food shaming....NO bullying...don’t badger". There's a lot more (!), but it's all here.

Why not take it for a 'test drive'........there's little to lose, I'd say. Then it's your judgement on value/benefits.

Hmmmm - seems you're way ahead of me!

All right, then......we'll need a full report about them

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We may not be talking about all of the same groups here, just to clarify. I know of four IBD groups, one exclusively for raw feeding. I think that the IBDKitties on FB is related to the IBDKitties site, which would mean that you are both talking about the same group. I have never joined any of them, although I did join the FDMB with my diabetic cat (the last one) and a Cushing's group for dogs. These very specific interest groups can be helpful, but there is certainly no obligation to continue or put up with any group that is less than helpful or supportive.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:Forgive me,I'm not good at following long conversations,but my 11 year old cat would be too nauseous to eat or throw up her food. Her regular vet checked her teeth and did an xray of her teeth and discovered she had a lesion so she had tooth resorption done. Now she can eat minced but not pate and an elevated bowl. Also intolerant to chicken. I have also been giving her purina pro plan calming care. If you have another cat,feed her in a separate room. Hope she feels better

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Chatchka has been having a bad two days. She's barely eating even with Mirataz. She is also only peeing once a day instead of her normal two times. Additionally, her poo today was dry and clay-colored. She's on Ondansetron, Mirataz, Chlorambucil and Prednisolone.
I'm trying not to panic but I will most likely look to taking her in tomorrow. She was just at her IM last week, but they didn't do the urinalysis I requested or a blood panel.
's

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I broke down and gave her gastrobiome which is chicken stew. She wolfed it down. It hurts so much to know how much I'm depriving her being on this HP diet. I broke all the rules today after 13 weeks, but she was barely eating. I'm afraid of the fallout now, but too late I guess.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Not eating is a problem all of its own, and I can certainly understand why you wanted to give her some food that she would eat. This is a huge longshot, and I’m not even sure that it holds weight medically, but I have used both forms of mirtazapine, and I had better luck with increasing the appetite when I use the pill form.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not eating is a problem all of its own, and I can certainly understand why you wanted to give her some food that she would eat. This is a huge longshot, and I’m not even sure that it holds weight medically, but I have used both forms of mirtazapine, and I had better luck with increasing the appetite when I use the pill form.

That makes since cats do not like the taste of meds. Then the taste is in their mouth after swallowing like people having coffee. Capsuls desolve fast. I am having my vet order capsuls online and already put together. Hopefully the capsuls will be made better than what I bought on amazon

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been prescribed Royal Canin novel proteins, duck and rabbit which both contain carageenan. I discovered that after ordering them. Anyone have any luck convincing their vet to avoid carageenan? Or is this going to be the struggle I think it may? So defeated again. I know that a lot of vets, like doctors aren't nutritionists-which when it comes to GI disease can be very challenging. I'd love any and all tips. Thanks!