I won a contest! Is this for real?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Weve had those ones faxed through at work as well, usually from Nigeria. I file it in it's proper place...........The bin!!

I wouldn't be suckered into it Sabrina, but at the end of the day it's your choice.
Well it seems he has moved to England, has 1 month to live, and wants to share his 13 million.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Well it seems he has moved to England, has 1 month to live, and wants to share his 13 million.
I've lost track of all the people who have made me that offer or one like it.
Trash is the only place for those messages.

As for the "contest", my take on those is [1] the first request for any personal information, and/or a processing fee, gets them a hangup; [2] if they survive that test, if the information session/tour/whatever is not inconvenient and the "prizes" look interesting, I'd probably go; [3] no matter how interesting the prizes seem in the first place, be prepared to be disappointed.

I went to one of those things years ago, didn't spend a thing other than the time to drive out there and listen, came away with a cheap sleeping bag (I think it was billed as "camping gear") and a camera -- the cheapest Kodak on the market at the time. It was a nice drive at a time when I had lots of time for such things, but that's all.

It's all "grain of salt" territory.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I just haven't had a good feeling about it. I don't want to drive the long distance either.
A good way to earn some extra cash is by doing opinion/survey things. We have a facility here that conducts them.

If you have such a place in your town, if you ask to be added to their list, they will contact you via telephone from time to time when they are seeking people to participate in a group survey/meeting. They conduct a very short telephone interview with you to see if you qualify for that particular study. If you do you attend to their office for a couple hour survey discussion (in a room with a 2 way mirror) and answer questions in a group. You receive $25.00 or more depending on the study. And there is no hidden catch. Attend, give your opinion and get the cash.

The last one I attended was for "The Keg" restaurant. Another was for one of the local dairy producers looking for opinions on their commercials. Unfortunately we weren't supposed to know who had requested the surveys, but the facilitator of the group wasn't that good at leading the survey, and her questions were a dead give-a-way as to the companies seeking the results.

I used to do a number of them. I changed my phone number and never contacted them to give the new one, but it was a quick way to make some extra cash if I did manage to qualify for a particular study.