I want to make this work!

hellochester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a third cat a few weeks ago and he's been aggressive with my other cats.
Some back story: I have a territorial female, Greta, who needs to be the boss, and a laid back male, Chester. It took the two about a month to get used to each other, and they fought..but never to the point of danger.

My new cat is Philly, he's the youngest and was originally found as a stray and I had never seen him around other cats before I took him home.
Letting him out of his 'safe room' has been the hardest, he explores the apartment, then begins stalking my original cats and if I let him..he'll aggressively attack. Now Greta will only growl at Philly and Chester hides.

Things I have tried:
-I switched the cats' rooms, but my two were so stressed, I switched them back.
-Tried cracking the door so Philly couldn't get out and used toys and treats with everyone at the same time.
-Tried feeding all in eye view of each other, Philly ignored his food, and tried to steal everyone elses.
-I brushed everyone with the same brush.

My next step is to rig some sort of gate on the door, so Philly can see out of the bedrooom, but can't come out. He is so eager to come out!

Is there anything else I can do? I've read about Feliway, but I can't afford it.

Will Greta ever accept him? Does Philly hate other cats?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, it sounds like normal behavior as they're trying to work out who's the boss. I'd monitor them and use a towel to separate them when it gets to be too much.