I thought she's have them by now!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the 5 little kittens are 4 weeks and a few days old now. 

they're very active.  

we took them out of the nesting box, layed a blanket in the corner of my daughters bedroom

and enclosed the area w/ boxes. 

they're so cute to watch wrestle and play-fight and beginning to pounce. 

but today they broke the barrier close my daughters bed and escaped and were roaming freely around the room with the mama kitty close by watching them. 

2 of the kitties were near the litter box and EATING the litter grains that mama kitty had kicked onto the wooden floor! 

oh lord! WHY would they eat the litter????  we got the graunuals out of their mouths as best as we could. 

will this hurt them???  has anyones kittens done this before? 

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its pretty normal for baby kitties to eat the litter... thats why you want to make sure you are using non-clumping litter for them so they don't get sick!  Mine got over it pretty quick... hope yours do too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal for them to explore the room. You'll need a kitten sized box and non-clumping litter so they can safely learn to use the box.

Have you tried giving them soft food and kitten chow yet? They may be ready.

mother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

just look at these rotten little things! 

7 wks old tomorrow.  mama Avia has slowed down nursing. they lap up a big bowl of kmr each morning including mama

and eat a plate of soften kitten food twce a day.  they all had a bath 3 wks ago, but we've seen a flea on them again so bathtime again soon.

i figure they'll just get a bath once a month. everykitty seemed to fair well and the mama actually relaxed and sat calmly enjoying the warm running water. 

mama has them all litter trained and they are pure entertainment to watch play.  they go everywhere and arch and hiss at the dog, Duke feels so rejected. 

3 different families want one and my 2 children at home are each keeping 1 so everykitty has a home.  

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear all is going well.  Mamma and babies are all beautiful and it sounds like you have been having a grand old time with them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are adorable! So glad they all will be getting good homes. Try to keep them until they are 10-12 weeks so they learn their manners from mom.

Are you leaving kitten chow down for them at all times? Kittens need lots of food.

Glad they are all litter trained too!

At almost 8 weeks the kittens can each have a tube of kitten Advantage on their necks to get rid of the fleas.

Sounds like a happy house :).

mother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the advice on the flea treatment.  

We haven't let the mama cat outside much since she's had her kittens and she doesn't seem interested in going outside too often.  However, i have let her out a couple times because there was a time she wanted to go out and was meowing, when i didnt let her out, she urinated on my mattress!  i really felt this was her way of getting her point across to me.  there was no other reason for her to do that as we keep her litter pan cleaned daily.  

so she was on my bed meowing that certain type of meow like she wanted something. to me she was saying "u know what's gonna happen lady if u dont open that window!"  sometimes she sits in one of  the window sills in my bedroom, i have 6, and 1 window has no screen, so she loves to creep along the ledge via that window.  the ledge wraps around the entire outside of the house at window level and she loves to creep along that ledge.  the ledge is lowest in the front of the house and quite high in the back of the house.  

anyway... i've let her out a few times and twice now she has caught mice and brought them to her kittens!!!  GROSS!  she's just being a responsible mother and providing for them right?  it's so disgusting tho and i can't allow the kittens to eat the mice.  right?

i mean, i'm proud of her that she's, what the farmers call "a mouser" and will catch them as that's useful, but it's disgusting and could possibly make them sick, i think.

we're taking them all in to get fixed when they're 10wks. there's a clinic that does it for free or very low fees, u just tell them u rescued the kittens and they do it.  of course she was a rescue - we basically rescued her from having to be put down in a shelter so i dont feel bad about telling them that they're a rescue situation.

will she stop catching mice and bringing them in the house once she's fixed?   

mother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
taking the mother on monday and the kittens have to be 3 months