I think someone stole Mufasa! What do I do??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

that is a very good idea. I'm going to make up a contract for both of us to sign and take it over when I go to see him. Thank you for the idea. I'm just trying to do everything right this time.
Bless you for not giving up & for keeping an open mind. I'm one of those people who can have the darnedest luck, too, so I can understand that her excuses could be valid reasons. Besides, your attitude is keeping her appeased; since she has Mufasa, it's best to keep on her good side.
Sending prayers and vibes that your visit on Sunday brings happiness to you all
And if all is well with Mufasa, then I send blessings on the lady who took in your kitty during your hour of dire need

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It might be a good idea for you to start looking for another foster home, especially if this is going to last for another three months. Try to find someone who lives closer to you where you can visit 3-4 times a week. Then you can present it to this woman as a valid reason to take Mufasa out of her home without accusing her of anything.

It does seem strange that EVERY means of communication was cut off. Okay, I can understand her losing your phone number. I seem to do that fairly often if I just wrote a number on a scrap of paper. But no email and messages not getting passed on? Did you ever actually talk to one of her roommates asking them to give her a message? If you only left a message on voicemail or an answering machine, were her roommates erasing the messages before she could listen to them?

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm just happy that you've finally managed to get in touch with this lady. Bet you're looking forward to seeing your darling boy again. All's well that ends well (although it hasn't officially ended yet), and I think everyone has a lesson to learn from this incident.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very pleased that you know where your kitty is now!!! He is absolutely gorgeous by the way, lovely looking boy. I would definately have something in writing with regard to owner and agreement with this lady. If she has the right intentions then she should be happy to sign it. How long are you planning on him staying with her? He is sooooo gorgeous, I wouldn't let anyone havemy aby for too long

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I called the police station, and the office said that since it was a civic manner, they couldn't help me and that I would have to hire a lawyer and take them to small claims court. She gave me a few things that I could try (which everyone here has already mentioned) and told me to just keep trying her number.
Anyways, I was really upset after getting off the phone with her but decided to try this girl one more time.
It rang, and rang and rang, and I was just about to hang up when she answered the phone!!!!! She knew it was me straight away and started appoligizing and saying how sorry she was. She said that what had happened was that she couldn't access her e-mail account anymore for some reason (she gave me her work number) and that she wanted to call me, but had lost my number. Her roomates hadn't been giving her the messages, and her cell phone message system wasn't working for some reason.
Anyways, she kept appoligizing and telling me that she was so sorry for making me worry. He's doing great, and she said that he's the king of the house, lol.
I'm going over on Sunday to visit him
I can't wait. I'm just so happy to know that he's healthy and ok. It makes me almost want to cry.
I've definatly learned my lesson about trusting people though. Even if this turned out to be a happy ending, it very well could of ended up in heartache.

I just can't stop smiling.
I'm just catching this and boy what a lucky ending! The police are right though. When Frankie was a kitten the guy I was dating at the time broke up with me (in a note). He was then surprised when I took Frankie with my last trip to get my stuff. He did show up the next day with his mom, best friend and a county cop. Unfortunately for him, my dad's a lawyer and found out my ex lied to the cop to get him there. The cop felt stupid, I gave my ex his pet carrier back... empty! Frankie and I have lived together for 10+ happy years.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sincerely hope everything turns out ok, and that Mufasa is happy & healthy. As someone else said, tho, I'm be taking him out of there---to another foster or even a boarding situation. It just sounds hinky to me that this young lady didn't have any way what-so-ever to get in touch with you. Are you sure you can't take Mufasa home with you and just keep your Mom away from him (well, that sounded funny, but you know what I mean
)
I'd be really nervous about leaving him where he is.
Good luck.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really glad to hear that you go a hold of this person.
I'm inclined to agree with those suggesting you find another foster home. Is there anyway that you could find a foster through your local shelter? This way their information is on record, they have references, etc. Fosters at the shelter that I use to work at were required to provide personal references, their drivers license and social security number, as well as passing a home inspection to prevent situations like yours from occurring. Whatever you decide, make sure you have typed, signed documentation of every detail.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can go to petfinder.org and find rescue groups, who will know of fosters in your area.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

I agree with everyone else... it sounds like you've been robbed. Get all the documentation together, confront them with a friend when you have the address, go to the police if they refuse to let you have Mufasa back.
I'd suggest a large, muscular friend if you have one.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I called the police station, and the office said that since it was a civic manner, they couldn't help me and that I would have to hire a lawyer and take them to small claims court.
I'm glad to hear that, but why would you need a lawyer for small claims court? It may be different in Canada, but here in the US, small claims courts are set up for lay persons to manage their own cases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you don't neccesarily need a lawyer for small claims court, the police officer had just suggested it. I can't wait to go to see him this sunday. I'm reluctant to find another foster home because she said that he's doing really good there, and they love him so much. She did seem very very sorry on the phone when I was talking to her. She was almost crying to me, telling me how sorry she was for not being able to get a hold of me and for putting me through all that. I am the queen of bad luck, so I can see this situation happening to me and do have a little sympathy.
What I think I might do is make up a contract and get my father's lawyer to look at it before sunday, and do a house inspection once I get there, just to make sure everything is ok. And also whether or not he's happy.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

You do not need a lawyer for Canada - I have relatives in Quebec tho it does depend on the jurisdiction I believe and the amt? Sometimes, it is wise to have a lawyer even in US small claims courts for large amts.

I was going to say I agreed with GoldenKitty45 over calling and pretending to be the foster person. That would make you look bad in the eyes of the law if yu did end up in court and wit privacy laws enforced these days, you'd have a tough time of pulling it off. And ethically, it's just wrong.

In any case, I am happy to hear you have made progress! I would get there asap though to ensure your cat is fine. Next time, get references and make sure the sitter is bonded or is at least somene credible. This person may very well be but I do not like all these excuses.

I have discovered in my new vet practice that people actually are cruel to third pets (or their children are!) and just like parents who abuse their children, they lie about it. Cats - unlike children (A roommate in college is a social worker now). They will claim their kitty was hurt by jumping from something when you just know from looking at the ultrasound or the Xray that this was NOT the way an injury occurred. We had heard that in vet school and there were a few while I was doing my internship and I still work in the univ's ER now and then (they are short staffed amazingly and call me in often - like don't have enough to do, lol) but I never dealt with their humans. Now I have to and I confront them with it.

I know this is a digression and I apologize for that but those excuses sound familiar and so if I were you, and it may very well be nothing and this person is OK and I am basing my response on these recent experiences. You should get a contract with her when you go too - just explain you forgot when you brought your cat over (too much on your mind, whatever) and also you might think of having kitty injected with a microchip so anyone will know without a doubt he cat is yours.

Also re emails- they are useful in court and nothing really is private online. (My bf is in IT and the subject interests me as well now, lol ) So, her ISP 'Hotmail or not- would tell anyone what IP was used to send the email and any forensic computer person can figure out where she is from given enough info. (Especially when you have a phone number).

I hope your cat is fine and am glad to find the result of all this is GOOD news!!

I would like to see laws that

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

you don't neccesarily need a lawyer for small claims court, the police officer had just suggested it. I can't wait to go to see him this sunday. I'm reluctant to find another foster home because she said that he's doing really good there, and they love him so much. She did seem very very sorry on the phone when I was talking to her. She was almost crying to me, telling me how sorry she was for not being able to get a hold of me and for putting me through all that. I am the queen of bad luck, so I can see this situation happening to me and do have a little sympathy.
What I think I might do is make up a contract and get my father's lawyer to look at it before sunday, and do a house inspection once I get there, just to make sure everything is ok. And also whether or not he's happy.
You need to be very careful. You've told us that you tend to be too trusting and have had people take advantage of that before.

The point here is that you don't want to do anything that will jeopardize your cat just because you feel sorry for the woman or don't want to offend her.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am definatly going to get him microchiped now. That is a sure way to prove that he is mine. I think I'm going to wait until I go see him to make a decision on whether or not to move him I guess. I'll have to contact the SPCA for foster homes, but I'm not sure if they can help since he cannot be in a house with other cats, and they are very short on foster homes at the moment, but I will see what can be done.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of something else. Even if you go over there, with a contract, and have ALL info on thelm (phone number, house addresss, etc.); what happens if you leave and they pack up or move him out of there? Something just is not right about their story. I would not trust them to "disappear" after you leave the house - and disappear with the cat.

If it were me, I'd be taking the cat with me then and taking it home and explain the situation to your parents. Keep the cat at home with you until you can find another temporary home and you do all the right things first.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of something else. Even if you go over there, with a contract, and have ALL info on thelm (phone number, house addresss, etc.); what happens if you leave and they pack up or move him out of there? Something just is not right about their story. I would not trust them to "disappear" after you leave the house - and disappear with the cat.

If it were me, I'd be taking the cat with me then and taking it home and explain the situation to your parents. Keep the cat at home with you until you can find another temporary home and you do all the right things first.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your mom is very allergic to cats? Have you thought about keeping your cat only in your bedroom with the door closed? There are many products that you can spray or brush on cats that helps with the dander. Keep him brushed. There are ways to work around the allergies. My daughter is highly allergic and she has two cats. She visits home with my many.

Cats do fine living in one room for a period of time. Why not ask your mom if you can keep him closed in your room until your living arrangements change or until you can find something suitable for your cat.

It might work. Better than the situation you have now. I agree that something's off. Hope you can get your baby home.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tried keeping him in the bathroom and using this stuff that you rub on his fur, but it still didn't help. Im in a tough situation right now. I can't bring him home with me right now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bathing the cat regularly (once a week or so) usually solves the problem, but I can't imagine bathing your long-haired cat. Although come to think of it, my mother used to bathe her Angorra every week.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I had Spartakiss(my himmie) I used to bathe it every month and it wasn't too much of a hassle, but the problem is that its my mothers house, and since she is allergic, her answer is no. I can't make her change her mind.