I think she's pregnant...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can't hurt to check their weights. Then you have a baseline if there's a problem. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
#4 has just been born...another ginger :)
I guess there were more in there!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely get weights. That way you know in case anybody starts to struggle.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She only allowed me to take 2 weights before she stopped letting me weigh them.

ginger and white: 144g
Spotted: 143g

I have two more to weigh but I'm gonna wait a bit. Those seem like good weights for less than 24 hrs old.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it normal that she is being super protective of them...Even with me?

She lets me sometimes gently touch the kittens when they are in the box but it's a fight to get them out of the box to weigh them...

I only got the torties weight today and it was 157 so a 20g gain in a day.

Is it worth stressing her out if they're gaining nicely?

And well she eventuality start letting me handle them?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal. If you think they are gaining and doing well, and they do appear to be, then I'd leave them be. And yes, she will want you to interact with them around the 3-week mark. She really seems to want her peace now. Is she eating well?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
think she's eating well. She eats a little at a time because any time a kitten makes a peep she runs back into the box. And while she eats, she looks back to check in on them every few seconds.

It's very cute how she's such a good mom!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There has been a kitten meowing outside for two days now. My niece and my kids went looking for it and found it in my neighbors yard. I sent formula with them to feed it and the kitten devouered it. I havent gone out yet to see it myself and my niece was not able to assess how old it is. All she was able to say is that its bigger than Sophie's kittens. 

I want to bring it in and add it to the litter but im nervous for a few reasons. #1, Will the bigger kitten be a danger to the smaller ones? #2 Will sophie accept a kitten that is not hers? #3 How will I know that it is healthy enough to be with my kittens and not get them sick? 

I want to help the abandoned kitty but not at the risk of the kittens here. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to see how old it is first. You may need to supplement it, and take it to a vet before an introduction. Please do take it in though.

Sophie and her babies are adorable!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please take the poor thing in. Can you post a picture of the new kitten? If it lapped the formula on its own, then it's weaning age.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found the kitten. It's prob 5-6 weeks old and scared out of its mind.

It's hosting in the chasse of a car and every time it comes out to get the food I put down it ruins back into the car when it sees me.

I don't know how to get it out of the car to catch it. For right now it has a decent amount of food and hopefully with your help I'll be able to goop back and catch it soon.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It shouldn't take long to catch if you bring it stinky, tasty food. Any chance you can borrow a trap from that rescue you found?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a carrying case that I can set as a trap. I brought pretty stinky/yummy wet food and it came out for it but ran back in when it saw me. I can try and bring tuna and see if that works better.

For now the kitty has stopped meowing for a bit. Maybe it has a full tummy and fell asleep.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So are you feeding it in the carrying case? Once it gets comfortable eating inside, you'll just close the door of the case. Thanks for feeding the poor thing! Hope you catch it soon!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think (hope) someone found the kitten and caught it and brought it in because it hasn't meowed since yesterday and when I went looking for it today I couldn't find it.

As for Sophie and her babies, she is being an excellent momma and they all look to be doing well! She still won't let me handle them except once when I was sitting with her while she was nursing, she let me pick one up and put it on a nipple. Poor baby was having a hard time finding her belly to nurse and the other 3 were already latched.

I've noticed that the girl and the spotted boy are very close and a bit of bullies to the other two. When they're not all sleeping in a ball together, it's always the girl and the spotted together and the two gingers together. They're also porkers! They all eat enough but these two rugrats have snacks between meals as well. And all 4 are HUGE for being just a week old!!! I really want to get a weight to see how fat they really are.

Last edited:

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The babies ate starting to open their eyes! I noticed at least one with half open eyes when I was checking in her earlier. :)

I wish I could upload more pics of the pudgy fur balls!