I think my cat might be blind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh but they don't scratch me when I rub their bellies, they scratch me when I rub their heads while whey are presenting their bellies :-S

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds great, Mith seems to be well on his way to recovery. The headbutting thing is very normal, and a good sign as well. Cats do this to transfer their scent, and in some cases, claim ownership of the object/person they headbutt. Most cats, even ferals right from the street, will take to a litter box like a duck to water. When I have a kitten that is too young to understand the instinct, I watch them carefully, and when I see them getting ready to have an accident, I pick them up and place them in the box. Then I take their front paws and manually replicate the digging action, that is usually enough to stimulate and teach them where to use the bathroom. When you get another kitten, try this, you won't be disappointed.

Also, if possible, use filtered water for Mith. Stay away from distilled water, this strips the cat of nutrition. Mineral filtered water is best. We are all certainly happy that things are looking up for Mith, can't wait to see him in his new surroundings when you move to your own place. Keep us updated, the kittykeepers.

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had to use the shack for little chicks so for the time being I've let him out in the yard but I'm putting him in his cage every night to keep him protected. So far no fights with Cheddar, just some hissing from Cheddar's part while poor Mith is just meowing at him. No fights have taken place these last couple of days that he's been out. Cheddar is mostly ignoring him.

The yard is relatively secure. Mith could easily escape if he could jump but he definitely can't see well so he just walks slowly and makes no effort of escaping.

I'm luring him in his cage with food every night. We are currently in the middle of a heatwave and it gets rather hot in the shack so I guess he doesn't mind staying outside at night when it's cool, even if he is confined in his cage.

On a different note, I think he might be limping a bit, he doesn't walk as "gracefully" as Cheddar. I'm wondering if I should dicuss it with his vet. The ongoind difficulties with his vision are also pretty worrying.

Last edited:

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

Mith managed to escape the yard but came back. Apparently I underestimated his vision, maybe he can't see too well but he can see well enough to jump. Anyway, he's back now and he no longer leaves the yard.

I can confidently say he is no longer feral. He loves petting (just his head though, touch the tail and you're dead!) and he will rub on and headbump various people, even those who don't feed him or pet him. I think it's safe to say he's now as tame as it gets.

What saddens me is he fights with Cheddar. Actually, he doesn't just fight, he chases Cheddar until he runs far away or gets cornered and turns to defend himself. I'm deeply troubled about this. I already had plans for neutering both but I'm considering maybe I should do it faster. Does neutering help with male-to-male fights in your experience? 

Also, which one would you recommend I neuter first? Mith is the one initiating the fights so I'm thinking maybe he should be the first to be neutered

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, getting them fixed might help out, as it does calm them down. But it may be too late, sometimes it works to stop infighting, but there is no assurance of this. Two of my cats are brothers, they were inseparable when they were young. But once they both came of age, they began fighting a lot. We got them both fixed, but the hatred had set in. Even today, they can't stand to be in the same space together, it is also a sad thing, since the were so close as adolescents.

Hope you get a better result, good luck, sincerely, the kittykeepers.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Neutering should definitely help.  I believe Toms instinctively fight each other.  Not sure who should go first though.  Can you possibly get them both done at the same time? 

I'm hoping The Kitty Keepers' experience isn't the norm.  I have 2 neutered males who have been together almost their entire lives (at least since they were 6 weeks old) and they have their issues, but soon afterwards they'll be cuddling again.  However, they were neutered pretty young - probably around 8 weeks old (before they adopted us
  - long story)

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Neutering should definitely help.  I believe Toms instinctively fight each other.  Not sure who should go first though.  Can you possibly get them both done at the same time? 

I'm hoping The Kitty Keepers' experience isn't the norm.  I have 2 neutered males who have been together almost their entire lives (at least since they were 6 weeks old) and they have their issues, but soon afterwards they'll be cuddling again.  However, they were neutered pretty young - probably around 8 weeks old (before they adopted us
  - long story)
I too think (and hope) it's a sex thing. Mith chases males but leaves females alone, apart from begging them that is :p

But from his prominent "stud jowls" I estimate his age to over 3 years old and I don't know how much his behaviour will change after such long term exposure to testosterone.

Cheddar is afraid of him because he chases him around and does a meow-hiss mixed sound when Mith gets too close. Of course Mith, having survived in the wild for so long isn't afraid of him.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it might take awhile for all that testosterone to filter thru his system after the  neutering.  Maybe a month or two...not sure.  I know it won't be instantaneous