I think my cat might be blind

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick recap of the story so far (the detailed version can be found here):

I am taking care of a male feral cat which I've named Mith. Over the course of 4 months that I've known him and been feeding him I've bonded greatly with him and consider him to be my cat.

Ever since I met Mith one of his eyes was bad ( video can be found here) , it would always be semi-open or closed and would leak. His other eye though was fine. I wanted to take him to the vet but I failed to trap him.

Recently, Mith dissappeared twice, the first time it was for three days. My parents who were home at the time he first came back (I was away) said he looked bad and both his eyes looked "injured" although they didn't observe him from close enough. They said he was just standing in the rain, being soaked.

Then he disappeared again for the Second time for about a week. I was heartbroken, from my parents accounts I assumed he went somewhere to hide and die. But one afternoon, six days ago Mith came back!

I was shocked: He was dirty, starved and so thin that I could feel each and every bone in his spine. I gave him his favorite wet food and he barely touched it. His eyes were now both open but his pupils were totally dilated, as if it was pitch black. Little fellow was very weak so I trapped him immediately and scheduled an emergency appointment with the vet.

The next morning I took Mith to the vet. He sedated him, deflead/dewormed him (using stronghold) and took a look at his eyes. He found nothing but said it was probably some sort of grass particle that caused his injured eye. He prescribed eye drops (tobradex) twice daily for his eyes and a vitamin paste to help him get back on his feet.

I took Mith home. The first days were an uphill battle as he wouldn't eat or drink on his own. I knew feline hepatic lipidosis would be a real concern if he didn't start eating again, and fast! So I force-fed him a mixture of wet food, the vitamin paste and water using a syringe. After many attempts to entice him to eat on his own during the next couple of days I found a method that worked and eventually his appetite returned to almost normal. He is still thinner than he should be which makes me wonder how long the poor fellow was out there, starving.

He is now eating normally, almost 400 grams of wet food a day and I also put some additional, vitamin-enriched, water in his bowl with his meals to make sure he is properly hydrated and getting all the essential nutrients. He started grooming again and he is now defecating once a day.

What worries me a lot is the fact that his pupils are still dilated. I've been putting eye drops on him twice daily as instructed but neither his bad eye is improving nor the pupils in either eye seem to shrink.

I keep him in a shack next to the house where it's quiet and the light is low since I am afraid his dilated eyes might hurt if exposed to bright light, however a more terrifying thought is going through my mind these last few days. What if he has gone blind? His eyes have been like this for days and he won't even come out of the trap when I open the door!

Please, please if you can offer any suggestion about his dilated pupils, his bad eye, the possibility of blindness or anything else do post.

He is a wonderful and kind kitty, I don't want anything to happen to him :-(

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of course he follows your voice when you visit him, so that's not a test you can do, but do you have a laser light you could use on the floor in the shed to see if he can track it.  Or have you tried shining a light in his eyes to see if they change it all?  If you move your arms quickly, does he move his head at all to follow your arm.

If it turns out that he IS blind, can you bring him into the main house to live?  There are many blind cats out there who do just fine.  They adjust, better than people, probably. 

One of our former Advisors has a blind cat.  Here is her facebook page:  www.facebook.com/jennytheblindcat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keeping him inside is one of the key problems: I am temporarily living with my parents and they don't want a cat in their home. However I'm moving away for postgraduate studies in September and I'll have my own apartment again in which he'll be welcome. The thing is he can't come inside until then, they absolutely insist on that :-(

I've scheduled an appointment with the vet to check on his eyes again (and possibly also neuter him, it depends on his situation). If I'm mistaken and he can still see, he can stay an outdoor cat until I move and take him with me. If he can't, I'll have to find some other way to keep him safe. Possibly by keeping him in the shack and allowing only supervised play outside?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully he'll be strong enough to be neutered, AND hopefully he's not blind, but if he is, I'm sure he'll adjust.  At least he has a safe environment, albeit not the best until September.  Hopefully it doesn't get too hot out there in the shack. 

Both he and Cheddar are so lucky to have you, but Mith particularly.  He probably wouldn't still be here if not for you. 

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would not allow him to explore outside at all, just not worth the risk since you will be taking him with you to the new apartment, hopefully soon. If he is blind, even one day outside exposed, could be all it takes for something bad to happen, and nobody wants that. I don't think the determination of his eyesight should dictate whether or not you keep him, it sounds like he is already yours, and more importantly, you are his. Just keep him and love him forever, you won't regret that decision. Sincerely, the kittykeepers. (we have 30 cats, most are feral rescues).

I looked at the video, and his eyes look way better than you described them to be. Eye infections are common, and as a stray, he could have gotten an injury from a fight as well. Hope the eye drops help out, keeping the eyes clear of debris will also aid in healing.

Did you get the trap to work yet? You have made good progress in showing him love, he will get better with time. I just hope you can get him indoors ASAP, that is the best way to get him healthy and keep him that way.

Last edited:

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Updates: I took him to the vet today. Apparently he is not blind but still hasn't recovered from whatever happened to him when he was gone for a week. We took a blood test and his white blood count was on the high end of the normal range. The vet injected antibiotics and said to continue the treatment with the eye drops.

We also (finally!) found the probable cause of the problem in his left eye (right from our point of view). Apparently there is some hair growing inside his lower eyelid which scrapes against the eye causing the irritation. My vet said he could surgically fix it when we have him neutered.

We also did an FIV/FeLV test and he was negative for both :-D This was the most welcome news as I want to bring him and another cat both inside eventually and it would be hard if either of them was positive and could infect the other.

The vet commented on how much better he looked this time which was very encouraging.

I did something wrong however, I fed him a couple of hours after we got back from the vets office while he was still woozy and then I read on the Internet I shouldn't have :-( Poor fellow hadn't eaten in 16 hours (the 12 hours to undergo anesthesia plus the commute and visit to the vets office) and now I'm worried he might puke :-( I was worried because he has hungry and had blood drawn and made the mistake of assuming that feeding him was the right move :-(

---------

Dear Thekittykeepers, thank you for caring so much. The trap works but I didn't have to use it like that because when he came back last week he was extremely weak and could barely stand. He now lives in a shack next to my house in the very same trap, which apparently he loves so much that he won't leave even when I leave the door open. Please note however that the video in the link is from an older post when only one eye was damaged. His eyes looked much worse a week ago than they ever did.

Of course I'll keep him and love him forever! He's my sweet, loving kitty and sighted or not this won't change! Mith is gonna grow old with me and I want to be his furever human :')

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are all happy to hear about his outlook turning North, that's great. As for the eating after surgery, probably not that big a deal, but he certainly needs to be monitored until he is back to his old self again. Good luck with the rest of your plans, you two were made to find each other. Sincerely, the kittykeepers.

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night he was so weak from being sedated that he could barely move at all so I put a warm water bottle next to him to keep him warm through the night. He didn't puke (thankfully) although he couldn't control his bladder.

Today he finally overcame the sedation and started eating almost normally (still below ideal but at least he's recovering). I took him out of the trap and played with him to help him relax. He was extra cuddly. I've even been able to pick him up, which would be impossible in the past :-)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last night he was so weak from being sedated that he could barely move at all so I put a warm water bottle next to him to keep him warm through the night. He didn't puke (thankfully) although he couldn't control his bladder.

Today he finally overcame the sedation and started eating almost normally (still below ideal but at least he's recovering). I took him out of the trap and played with him to help him relax. He was extra cuddly. I've even been able to pick him up, which would be impossible in the past :-)
Why exactly was he sedated?  I don't see where he had any surgery yet.  Was it just for his exam?  I can understand a SLIGHT sedation for that, but gosh,it seems like he was sure out of it was a long time to just have been sedated for a car ride and exam.  

But the good news is that you say he's recuperating AND should get his vision back.  I've actually heard of that issue he has with his eyelashes. 

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy that he made it past the sedation, and I hope the doctor was able to remove the eye irritants to allow his eyes to fully heal. You would be surprised at how bad a cats eyes will become, and then bounce back to normal with the right intervention. I have seen eyes that looked like the we're ready to pop, and today, they are totally normal.

Anyway, keep us posted on his progress, and when you can finally give him an indoor life, I am sure he will be very happy to stay inside, safe from all the stresses and dangers they face in the outdoor world. Sincerely, the kittykeepers.

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Why exactly was he sedated?  I don't see where he had any surgery yet.  Was it just for his exam?  I can understand a SLIGHT sedation for that, but gosh,it seems like he was sure out of it was a long time to just have been sedated for a car ride and exam.  

But the good news is that you say he's recuperating AND should get his vision back.  I've actually heard of that issue he has with his eyelashes. 
I'm afraid sedation was nessesary. Mith is a former feral with claws and jaws to match, he won't stand there and take anyone (most of the time, not even me) messing with him.  Given that the vet had to draw blood for tests (we did a complete blood analysis and FeLV/FIV tests) and a thorough examination of his eyes, sedation was pretty much unavoidable. I don't know why he reacted so heavily this time though. Last week when we first visited the vet he came out of sedation pretty quickly.

The fact that he was sedated twice in 7 days might be related to the extreme lethargy he exhibited this time but my knowledge on anaesthesia is pretty limited so I can't really tell. However the vet did say he would neuter him in one month at the earliest, so I assume there might be some reason for this related with being sedated too often?

His eye will be fixed during his neutering surgery as the eyelid has to be lowered a fraction to prevent the hair from touching his eyeball and this would require pre-planning and... anaesthesia, so it's best done all in one go. Since you mention you've heard about it, could you possibly remember anything related to the issue? I'd really like to know as many things as possible ahead of time.

Thanks for caring :-)

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just make sure that you let the vet know about his reaction this time to anesthesia, maybe he used too much or the type of medication is not suitable for your kitty. Hope it all goes well, and just be vigilant of the instructions given post-op. Good luck, glad things seems to be getting better each day. Sincerely, the kittykeepers.

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll make sure to let him know and this time I'll do my best to read up anything I can find before and after the procedure.

He is now back to eating normally for his current weight and I'm working on getting him back to what his weight was before this adventure. He should be at least 1 or 1½ pounds heavier than he currently is.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For his eyes, was he diagnosed with Eye Agenesis, or Entropion?  Are they going to FREEZE the hair follicles, or actually perform surgery on his eyelids?  I can't really find much on either of these accept the either freezing or surgery is normally the "fix". 

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know as he didn't tell me the scientific name for it. What he suggested was surgery for lowering the eyelid to move the hair away from interfering with his eyeball (the problem is at the very tip of the right eyelid). He said he could do this the same day we perform the neutering.

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looked much better today. I think his pupils are a tiny bit less dilated (could be my imagination though) and he was much more active. He also seems better groomed than the previous days :-)

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyday seems to be an improvement, we are all happy to hear this. Hopefully his new indoor life will begin sooner rather than later. Good luck. Sincerely, the kittykeepers.

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, as long as pupils contract and he gets his eye fixed he should be ready to start his transition to home life :-)

Today he started meowing to be petted! I love that kitty :-D

feralsrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update time!

Environment

This week I've cleaned the shack, secured any loose or possibly hazardous objects and let Mith out of his cage to wander freely in the shack. He didn't look too interested but got out and explored a bit before going back to the safety of the cage. Silly kitty

He is now free to roam inside the shack as the pleases but still likes to sleep in his cage most of the time. I think he considers it his "safe spot" now.

I've placed a crude litterbox made out of an old wooden box inside and he took to using it immediately! I was quite surprised, I was hoping to get him interested but immediate success was not something I was expecting. Since then he has been using it daily without fail or accidents.

Health

I'm very happy to say that Mith has gained back all the weight he lost. He now looks just like he looked when he was healthy.

His food intake is now up to 500grams (1 pound) of wet food per day and I'm adding extra water in his plate with every meal in an effort to get him to drink more. This is especially important since he was a bit dehydrated last time the vet checked him (his HTC was a bit on the normal-to-high end) and we did not test his kidneys. In an effort to play it safe I'm keeping his water intake high.

His pupils are still dilated though but I've determined that he can see even like this since he responds to the position of my hands. I'll be checking with another vet for his pupil issue in order to get a second opinion.

Behavior

He is becoming the sweetest, most cuddly kitty, even though the poor fellow doesn't know how to express his affection safely! He loves having his chin scratched and will purr loudly, which he had never done in the past. After some scratching he will go belly-up and roll around

Of course if I don't pull my hand back ASAP when he does this I get a taste of his claws (Cheddar does this too, I'm thinking this might be general cat behavior and I might be misinterpreting the fact) so for now I'm pulling my hand back and resume the scratching when he gets up.

He also headbutts and rubs on me REALLY HARD. I'm almost a 200 pound (90kg) guy and it still feels pretty strong! No other cat has ever rubbed on my hand this hard before so I'd like to think he really likes me

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful update

Not ALL cats scratch when you rub their bellies, but lots of them do.  Many of them lure you in looking all cute and demure when they roll around on their backs, but it's mostly "look but don't touch"
.  I'm not surprised since these cats are semi-feral that they don't let you rub those furry tummies much.  It takes true trust for them to do that, and some cats never let anyone do that, even after a lifetime with their "servants""