I think McDonald's puts drugs in their broccoli soup

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there an idea for a substitute for velveeta as we don't have it here in NZ? That recipe sounds so good and it would go well in my household as my husband is a broccoli nut.

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

One word....MSG, a naturally occurring and added food ingredient that improves flavor, or increases our sensitivity to said flavors. It actually makes one's brain think that something is great, and want more and more, even if it isn't that good! (Don't get me started on MSG here though, or this will wind up in the IMO forum, lol!)

here's the list of ingredients from McD's site...
Water, broccoli, cream, modified food starch, cheddar cheese (milk, cheese culture, salt, enzyme), vegetable oil (corn, canola, cottonseed or partially hydrogenated soybean oil), contains less than 2% of the following ingredients: pasteurized process cheese spread (American cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes], water, whey, sodium phosphate, whey protein concentrate, skim milk, salt, milkfat, artificial color), dried dairy blend (whey, calcium and sodium caseinate), enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), salt, parmesan cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzyme), sugar, flavoring (natural flavors including dairy products and autolyzed yeast extract, disodium phosphate), potato starch, yeast extract, sodium phosphate, onion powder, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, spice. CONTAINS: MILK, WHEAT (Source: http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?...m&itemID=10123)

and a list of assorted names that MSG can hide under....
Food Additives that ALWAYS contain MSG

* Monosodium Glutamate
* Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
* Hydrolyzed Protein
* Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
* Plant Protein Extract
* Sodium Caseinate
* Calcium Caseinate
* Yeast Extract
* Textured Protein (Including TVP)
* Autolyzed Yeast
* Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
* Corn Oil

Food Additives That FREQUENTLY Contain MSG
* Malt Extract
* Malt Flavoring
* Bouillon
* Broth
* Stock
* Flavoring
* Natural Flavors/Flavoring
* Natural Beef Or Chicken Flavoring
* Seasoning
* Spices

Food Additives That MAY Contain MSG Or Excitotoxins
* Carrageenan
* Enzymes
* Soy Protein Concentrate
* Soy Protein Isolate
* Whey Protein Concentrate
omg i didnt know that, i am soooo glad you posted that, my mom is deathy allergic to msg, she can touch a food that has it to her tounge and her throat will swell shut and she cant breath.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a little cafe here called Mutha Shuckers (not kidding) that has the best clam chowder in a bread bowl. If any fellow Californians have ever had the clam chowder in Pismo, it is even better than that! It is a meal in itself and is quite yummy!

I don't really like cooked broccoli, but love cream of broccoli soup without the cheese... It has to be very creamy though

McDonalds here does not have soup.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A substitute for Velveeta? Uh...yellow elmers glue?

Velveeta is a soft "cheese food" that is high in oil content and low in cheese content. A prominent place-holder in the "yellow" food group.

Need any more Velveeta jokes?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Is there an idea for a substitute for velveeta as we don't have it here in NZ? That recipe sounds so good and it would go well in my household as my husband is a broccoli nut.
What do you use for grilled cheese sandwiches? I imagine any kind of "soft" cheese that easily melts would do, i.e., something with the consistency of mozzarella or the Kraft individually wrapped sandwich slices.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

What do you use for grilled cheese sandwiches? I imagine any kind of "soft" cheese that easily melts would do, i.e., something with the consistency of mozzarella or the Kraft individually wrapped sandwich slices.
We do have the individually wrapped sandwich cheese slices. I could try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

LOL here is the recipe!
Thank you.
The potatoes sound like a good addition! I'll probably use something other than Velveeta, too, or use less of it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally like Velveeta, but the soup is just sooo good!

If you can't get Velveeta, a mild cheddar or American cheese melted with milk might work, or yellow/orange processed cheese slices. Another possibility is if you can find a condensed cheddar soup perhaps, or find a recipe for cheddar soup, find out what they use to melt the cheddar into a creamy consistency for it...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I don't normally like Velveeta, but the soup is just sooo good!

If you can't get Velveeta, a mild cheddar or American cheese melted with milk might work, or yellow/orange processed cheese slices. Another possibility is if you can find a condensed cheddar soup perhaps, or find a recipe for cheddar soup, find out what they use to melt the cheddar into a creamy consistency for it...
Velveeta works well for these kinds of soups because it's not as oily as cheddar. I've got a recipe for a soup with frozen broccoli, carrots & cauliflower, southern hash browns, water & velveeta. It's amazing.