I think I work better under pressure!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm making my Brother's wedding cake for this Saturday. I'm also a guest, so not only do I have to get glammed up, but I also have to bake, decorate and cart a cake with me!

I made sugar roses last week and my pink ones faded to white!  So I had to remake them this past weekend, plus the ivory ones.

I made my fondant yesterday.

I need to have the cakes baked tonight so they can cool and be cut into layers, and then into the freezer until tomorrow.  Tomorrow I'll make the buttercream icing and fill and ice the cake because the cake has to go back into the fridge until Friday so it's nicely firm so I can put the fondant on it, otherwise the icing will slide off when I put on the fondant.

Friday all I should have to do is put on the fondant, stack the tiers, and add the decorations.

I have the 2 - 9" cakes in the oven.  Once those are done, I'll mix the batter for the 2 - 6" cakes.

I'm soooo stressed out!

I'm never making another fancy cake for anyone ever again, unless I initiate it as a surprise for them. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did one wedding cake years ago and I never did one again.  It got completely out of hand, 5 tiers and covered in roses.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm like that, too, Linda. I do my best work when I'm under the gun. While I've never done a wedding cake, Rick and I did an anniversary for his parents' 65th wedding anniversary several years ago. Nothing fancy, you understand; it was a simple four-layer cake with two large layers and two smaller ones. All vanilla with vanilla buttercream frosting. I attempted roses and Rick did the writing.

Was it perfect? Oh heck, no! But everybody did think it was adorable. Which may not have been a good thing overall. But we felt we got an "E" for Effort. 

I wouldn't even think about a wedding cake!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will post pictures.

Last weekend I was talking to my friend's Aunty and mentioned my Brother was getting married and that I was making their cake and was so stressed over it.  She told me that her and her husband are celebrating 30 years next year and told me that she will get my help with a cake for the event.

I told her plain out that I don't do fancy baking or bake on demand, and that the only reason I am doing my brother's cake is because, well, he's my brother and I didn't have the heart to tell him no, even though I wanted to.   I did offer to make her a couple dozen cupcakes if she wanted, but nothing fancy.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine making a wedding cake. My husband and I made my daughters first birthday cake last year (mostly him though). My sister said he couldn't do it, so he took that as a challenge. It was a disaster. Way too much work. Everyone kept saying they were going to get him to make their cakes from now on, he laughed and said never again.