I need some vet advice..should I switch vets?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Jake, I took him to a vet in my area, and he was really great in terms of how affectionate he was with Jake and the prices were not extremely high, I found the office to be clean, everything new and in a good condition, and it didn't look like anything was being sacrificed to bring prices down. Then, some of the negative aspects were the fact that he recommended that I feed Jake dry food only, and the fact that he is wayy too strict on vaccination schedule: he wants Jake to get shots every single year, while from what I've read it is better to do them every three years while still doing a yearly physical exam..

My question is, should I look for a different vet, even though the price may be much higher?? I feel like I can't bring up things like when shots should be done and what kind of food to feed because the vet will think I'm undermining his qualifications and his years of education..He really is very instructive when he talks about when I should come back, he says "he is due back next year for his boosters" ...I feel like he doesn't leave it up for discussion at all..At the same time, I really like this vet..I don't know what to do. What would you do in my situation?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only due 1 year Rabies shots and they are Purvax.
My other cats do not need the Rabies shots here and do not get them.
Just the show cats do just in case they bite a judge.
The 3 year shots are known to cause cancer.
I only do he 3 in 1 Distemper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning on doing a rabies shot every year with the yearly health exam because it's the law, and I dont' want to take any chances of Jake biting anyone.
However, the distemper 3 in 1 can be done every three years..that is what the vet who neutered Jake recommends for indoor cats, and I feel like that vet is much more into her field, and that she reads the latest research more often, etc...unfortunately she only works at her own non profit neuter clinic and does spay/neuter and shots, so she wont' treat illnesses. I really want a vet I can call and ask if I have random questions and someone who keeps Jake's file and can give me attention over the phone..That's why I am thinking of sticking to this vet, he does all that.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that if you don't feel like you can talk to your vet about things, then you need to find a more understanding vet that you can talk to. I have 2 cats and I take them to different vets. My older cat (Callie) goes to a general practice vet and I LOVE him. He's so good with animals, so patient, listens, and is willing to try different things, BUT he was at a loss with what to do for my FHV positive cat, so I take her to a cat only vet. I've been to that office before and I will only see the main vet because the other vet is too skittish for me. She's kinda jittery and makes me nervous. No telling how she makes my cat feel! So I go to the older, more experienced vet and I LOVE her! She's been so wonderful with Hannah.

As for vaccinations, since Hannah has FHV, she won't get anymore vaccines. I might do the 3 year rabies for her, but it's unlikely. With Callie, she's approx. 13, and I only get the rabies shot for her yearly and the others every 3 years.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some FVRCP vaccinations are only yearly. Ask him if he has the 3 year vaccines available. I get my vaccines done at the shelter which is low cost, and they do 3 year vaccines, but I get my annual check ups at the vet.

As for food, just say you are happy with the food you give him based on your research
You don't have to agree with the vet, and it doesn't make him a bad vet if he tells you something you don't like. If you're happy with him in every other way, I wouldn't change.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As good as the vet is with Jake and with over the phone questions, if he's not going to allow you to make choices about your cats, whew, I wouldn't be seeing him.

However, like regular doctors, sometimes vets just get in the routine of "processing" patients.. one, two, three, NEXT! Breaking into the concentration of someone so focused can be intimidating, but once the train of thought is broken, they can then often focus on you.

Have you spoken to the vet about your vaccination concerns? I expected a fight when I broached this subject with my own vet, but not only did he accept my choice, he even offered to research the titer process (after I asked for the test) to see if I could get out of the rabies shot.

Give talking a try (if you haven't already); if he's unwilling to hear you, find a vet that WILL listen to you - you won't regret it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just going to say the same. Tell him you're a bit nervous about bringing this up, becuase you don't want him to think you have any issues with his knowledge - the issue is you want to be more informed, have been talking to other cat owners, and have questions about some things. See what happens!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Some FVRCP vaccinations are only yearly. Ask him if he has the 3 year vaccines available. I get my vaccines done at the shelter which is low cost, and they do 3 year vaccines, but I get my annual check ups at the vet.

As for food, just say you are happy with the food you give him based on your research
You don't have to agree with the vet, and it doesn't make him a bad vet if he tells you something you don't like. If you're happy with him in every other way, I wouldn't change.

Purex DOES make a 3 year rabies though it is harder to come by
Do you change doctors due to the dr suggesting a diet that you do not like?> Drs and vets have about the same nutrition education , more if they Choose to and research for themselves. Today vets and drs are learning more on their own and taking more classes so hopefully in the future this area will be better covered

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew about rabies shot having a 1 year and a 3 year option, but I had no idea FVRCP shots are the same. I was under the impression they are all the same, but some vets recommend doing it once a year and others once every three years...
The food issue isn't really bothering me as much as the shots, because I'm very big on not overmedicating and injecting unnecessary things into him...
I think I'll make an appointment with him for this upcoming yearly physical exam this month and try talking to him about the shots and explain to him my budget and how I dont' like wasting money so he doesn't take offense when I buy revolution online rather than from him..I hope he doesn't think I'm being difficult..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
..perfect. And add... Telling him you'd prefer to buy it from him - can he provide it for the same price you can purchase it online. ? Obviously you understand if he can't, so you hope he understands the budget problem....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

..perfect. And add... Telling him you'd prefer to buy it from him - can he provide it for the same price you can purchase it online. ? Obviously you understand if he can't, so you hope he understands the budget problem....
well put Laurie....

Many do not mind... lol.. My vet told me where I could get a medicine cheaper and took the rx and met me there...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Utopia - I am with Sarah... you don't need to agree with him on everything... God, especially nutrition and vaccination...
He CAN NOT force you to do anything - that is the bottom line. Do your research, and make your decisions, and that is that... But if he is a good vet in all the other areas, IMHO, That is where I would stay, because when the problems arise, when Jake gets sick, HE is the one you want to have around to trust.... Who cares what he thinks about vaccinations and diet when that happens? When the "S" hits the fan, and Jake really needs help, and you need someone who is REALLY good to count on, diet and vaccination opinion will be the least of your concerns...
So, my two cents, for what is worth is, if you trust this guy on everything else; if you know he is a good vet, do your research, make your decisions, tell him what you want to do, and work things out with him.
That's all...
I don't agree everything with my vet... But in the end the decisions are mine.
Anyways, just my opinion

Oh, as far as vaccination goes: Purevax every year for both Rabies and RCCP for me for the first 4 years, then no more

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

But if he is a good vet in all the other areas, IMHO, That is where I would stay, because when the problems arise, when Jake gets sick, HE is the one you want to have around to trust.... Who cares what he thinks about vaccinations and diet when that happens? When the "S" hits the fan, and Jake really needs help, and you need someone who is REALLY good to count on, diet and vaccination opinion will be the least of your concerns...
So, my two cents, for what is worth is, if you trust this guy on everything else; if you know he is a good vet, do your research, make your decisions, tell him what you want to do, and work things out with him.
These here are exactly my concerns, I want to have a vet I can count on because in a time of illness, showing up at a new vet randomly will not make that vet empathetic towards me for how I love my pet and vets who strictly follow procedure without being friendly or anything really make me uncomfortable, which is what a new vet will do, and at a time when Jake is sick the last thing on earth i would want is to be made uncomfortable by a vet..
This is why I'm thinking of staying because the other option is the vet at the non profit spay and neuter clinic who does routine stuff but doesn't treat illness...
The thing is, I'm never very aggressive and I let people lead me into things I don't want when it comes to any type of sales, and the same thing happens at the vet. I'm too afraid to voice my opinion thinking I'll be rude..I can feed whatever food I want once I leave the vet, but when it comes to the shots that's where it's a problem and I feel like I can't refuse what he is recommending.. I really hope it goes well because I'm nervous!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

The thing is, I'm never very aggressive and I let people lead me into things I don't want when it comes to any type of sales, and the same thing happens at the vet. I'm too afraid to voice my opinion thinking I'll be rude..I can feed whatever food I want once I leave the vet, but when it comes to the shots that's where it's a problem and I feel like I can't refuse what he is recommending.. I really hope it goes well because I'm nervous!!
This is easy - before you go in, research, put a thread in here, decide what you want to do, and write it down in a booklet to take in...
That is what I did when I went to my last visit... I went in for their shots, and I said I want purevax Rabies and RCCP, no Leukemia, and no FIV vaccines. He said "ok"! The girl at front, the one who gets the shots ready asked me if they went outside at all, and I said they do with me, on a leash - and she said they NEEDED leukemia and AIDS... So I told her to stop what she was doing, and I was going to discuss it with the VET.
He was in total agreement with me. So... That was that.
Just write down on a piece of paper all the things you want to discuss and do.
The vaccines you want to get, How you want to get Revolution - BTY, I get it online too, as it is much cheaper..., etc. Just write down.
Utopia, it is not about being mean, or anything like that... For Jake you are his mom... You are the parent - you are the decision maker. Your vet can give you opinions, and all that, but YOU make the decisions...
So, don't ever feel that you are in the wrong by telling him what YOU want done as far as vaccine and such. This is your right, and he is used to it... there is nothing wrong with it - I promise you

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will follow that advice and write things down!! That will help in another way too, because last time he asked if I had any questions and I was kinda blank even though I was thinking about asking stuff beforehand..He even looked at me like "i know you have questions" and paused for me to think of stuff...
Anyway, I guess I'm a little confused about how much of it is my decision, and how much would make it seem like I'm disrespecting his education...But I see now that it's normal to have my opinion about shots..

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's absolutely not being aggressive asking questions. I have a great relationship with my vet because I ask questions, she answers them to the best of her knowledge and either looks it up or asks other vets if she doesn't know the answer (like when we were dealing with Smudge's behavioural issues). When I had to get rabies vacc's for possible titer tests for quarantine purposes she had me follow her into her office and we both looked up the quarantine regulations to make sure we were doing it right. She knows I love my kitties, and she treats me with respect and explains everything because she knows I like to be informed. She knows I research options and treats me accordingly.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Thanks, I will follow that advice and write things down!! That will help in another way too, because last time he asked if I had any questions and I was kinda blank even though I was thinking about asking stuff beforehand..He even looked at me like "i know you have questions" and paused for me to think of stuff...
Anyway, I guess I'm a little confused about how much of it is my decision, and how much would make it seem like I'm disrespecting his education...But I see now that it's normal to have my opinion about shots..
That is absolutely your decision! The ONE thing a vet can do is to refuse to treat your pet is his/her Rabies vaccinations are not up to date... Then at that time you make the decision on what type of vaccine you want to give - but aside from that... Your baby, your call.
Before my last trip to the vet, I put threads about all my issues up here to discuss... PMd people, researched past threads, researched the net... Got there with all questions/topics written down to discuss. It was a GREAT consult.
For vaccines, you can call ahead and ask them what they use then come back and post it here... Ask them if they have non-adjuvanted (these causes less risks of cancer) FV-RCCP and Rabies - also, if he has 1, and or 3 years, so you can make a decision in advance so you are not put in a spot in there. From there you both can discuss what the best decision is...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

T
For vaccines, you can call ahead and ask them what they use then come back and post it here... Ask them if they have non-adjuvanted (these causes less risks of cancer) FV-RCCP and Rabies - also, if he has 1, and or 3 years, so you can make a decision in advance so you are not put in a spot in there. From there you both can discuss what the best decision is...
I will definitely do that...Since I know Lucky, Bugsy and Hope go outside occasionally too, I want to know your opinion on your chlamydia shot, do yours get it?? I know it's been known to cause reactions and is not recommended for indoor cats...but he goes outside with supervision for 30 minutes to an hour in an enclosed fenced area that he never leaves with no contact with other animals....I am not sure if that is reason enough to get the chlamydia shot just in case.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What they get is the Purevax 4 Combo, RCCP - so that is for rhino, calici, panleukopenia and Chlamydia...

Other members might have a better opinion if that is really necessary... I Know for a fact that FIV and FeLV are not (nor recommended), but I don't really know about Chlamydia... They do get it in the combo, and never had a reaction to it.