i need help! i dont know what to do

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm truly sorry that you're in this predicament. I think you've made a very difficult, but very mature, decision about Whiskers' future. (((hugs)))

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update - eating, drinking, and even hating pills are healthy signs. Laying down is OK - she's saving her body's energy to heal. Moving around a little and coming up to you shows that she's in good spirits and she knows you're still her friend.

Whiskers not using her kitty litter - is this her usual behavior or only since she got hurt? (Big changes in excretory functions can be a warning sign, but a small change is no big deal.)

Hating the e-collar is pretty normal for cats and dogs, but it's only for a little while. Sometimes wrapping a kitty up in a towel so that only her head sticks out can help in getting the pill down. Praising Whiskers afterwards and giving her extra affection and/or treats can also help her feel better about pill time.

I don't know what the 6-month rabies quarantine process is like, but it sounds like she'll have to be isolated from human contact. However, you can ask about it when you turn her over next week - get her intake # so you can have a way of checking up on her.

(According the New York State Dept of Health, rabies has been mostly carried by wild animals, especially bats and raccoons <http://www.wadsworth.org/rabies/history.htm> - it's rare among housecats, but they can be endangered if bitten by a raccoon in a fight.)

You've done right by Whiskers - not only have you gotten her the necessary medical attention, but you've also taken good care of her all these years. If she wasn't a strong cat, she might have died from the fight instead of just getting injured.

Your parents are to be congratulated as well, helping take care of Whiskers in the midst of moving house which is very draining in of itself. And to give up their anniversary plans - one way to look at it is that they sacrificed their original plans in order to do something selfless and deeply humane. It reminds me of the story of Tetsugen <http://www.inspirationalstories.com/3/346.html>. A single act of kindness can transform a moment of disaster into a moment of grace.

As for these last few days you have with Whiskers, they are precious days, no matter what will or may happen. Play with her, cuddle with her, take lots of pictures with her. As much as you can, don't let the sadness take away from the joy of being with her, because days like these are days that will stay crystal in your memory.

I wish the best for you and Whiskers and your family.

P.S. It may be a little late at this point, but petfinder.com has a pretty good list of rescue organizations. Go to <http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=5> and put in your zip code.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, Whisker usally does use her kitty litty litter. When she got hurt, i hardly see her use the kitty litter. Then she started to use it at times. But after the vet, she still uses the kitty litter at times, but i always find her not using it.
She is not allowed to have any contact with animals, or humans only at certain times.

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds OK - injury can change a cat's litter box behavior temporarily. Whiskers' behavior improving after the vet is a good sign.

Even though Whiskers has to be in isolation, you can probably still talk to her and she'll find comfort in your voice. She might also appreciate an old t-shirt of yours to cuddle up with.

Keep your spirits up - even if you can't be with Whiskers all the time, you know that she's getting better thanks to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeling bad about whiskers. Whisker has been getting better now. She's been acting more like her self now. She doesnt run as much, maybe a little fast walking. but how to I clean her injury, or do I not touch it?? ((or am i not allowed to touch it)) It looks like it has dirt on it from the floor. I'm not sure if it will hurt either if i tried.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, you have found a place which can quarantine her before adopting her out, or are you paying for the quarantine for six months and then getting her back?

You have three days left, right? Make the most of it!
I don't know about cleaning it. You aren't technically supposed to be around her at all...she's probably doing a pretty good job of keeping herself clean.

Good luck Whiskers!

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that Whiskers is improving! As she recovers her strength and the pain goes away, she'll have more energy to be herself again. At this point it sounds like she's doing fine, even if she's not running around all the time.

As for cleaning her wound, did the vet's office give you any specific instructions? You can also give them a follow-up call - tell them that the wound looks a little dirty and ask them if they have a recommended aftercare procedure.

Was the vet's diagnosis an abcess? On July 18, right after taking Whiskers to the vet, you posted: "they said she's probably been bit and theres in infection." <http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1260991&postcount=34> And you also posted: "I heard the vet saying somthing about abscess." <http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1264044&postcount=63>

If it's an abcess, the vet visit, the pills, and the e-collar are the 3 major components in helping Whiskers heal. The vet's office would have taken care of any deep cleaning and draining of built-up fluids; the antibiotics help fight any remaining infection; and the e-collar keeps her from picking at the wound. There's also her body's intrinsic healing power, which is fine as long as she gets good food and water. And she is helped psychologically by knowing that you're caring for her.

For now, you could try using some sterile gauze and warm water or hydrogen peroxide - don't scrub at 1st, just let the water soak in and dissolve the dirt a little bit before gently wiping off with another wet gauze. Clean cloths and water w/epsom salt is OK, too.

Just keep an eye on Whiskers to see if she gets uncomfortable.

Here are some webpages with information on cat wounds and abcesses:
http://pethealth.lifelearn.com/pract...geid=100002491
http://www.petplace.com/cats/bite-wo...ats/page1.aspx

And some pictures here [caution: some look v. nasty]:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=189&A=550&S=2

P.S. If you're still interested in animal shelters in your area, use your zip code to "Find a Local Shelter" at PETS 911: http://tinyurl.com/flf7r

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I don't know about cleaning it. You aren't technically supposed to be around her at all...she's probably doing a pretty good job of keeping herself clean.
Minor cleaning of abcessed wound sites can be beneficial in removing dried pus leakage and can aid in the comfort of the feline. Dirt in the wound needs to be addressed; ignoring it doesn't usually make it go away.

Technically, if Whiskers had already developed rabies, then she would have been isolated immediately and not just treated at the vet's office and then sent home to recover. Her upcoming quarantine is required by New York State as a precautionary measure - due to the recent high incidence of rabies among raccoons in the region, the state health authorities have been erring on the safe side even if the risk of contracting rabies is miniscule.

While healthy cats do a superb job of maintaining personal hygiene, Whisker's natural tendency to clean the wound site would put her at risk. She would be trying in vain to "clean" the infection deep under her skin, digging into her body to no avail. That is why the e-collar needs to stay in place until she heals completely, to keep her from unintentionally and unkowingly hurting herself.

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

So, you have found a place which can quarantine her before adopting her out, or are you paying for the quarantine for six months and then getting her back?
It is quite possible that the State of New York provides the facilities for and underwrites the cost of all hospital quarantines of domestic animals with possible rabies exposure, as part of their strategy to address the raccoon rabies epidemic.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PlanetOfTheCats

For now, you could try using some sterile gauze and warm water or hydrogen peroxide - don't scrub at 1st, just let the water soak in and dissolve the dirt a little bit before gently wiping off with another wet gauze. Clean cloths and water w/epsom salt is OK, too.

[/url]
Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide without first diluting it. It burns the flesh.