i need help! i dont know what to do

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I heard the vet say absess... and something else...

I heard the vet mention something about rabies....

I dont mean to be harsh... but you were so concerned about money to go see the vet... finally went to a vet... then didnt pay attention to what was actually said about your sick baby???? Again, something dont seem right here...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
please, i really dont want to hear more. i get it. i'm not old enough to own a pet yet to take responsibilities. i dont want to hear any more comments, i've been asking for help and some of you just give me comments, I started this thread to get help, advice, not to hear bad comments. I can care less about money, but i am concern for my parents as well. My cat is most important to me . All i'm asking right now is how can i find a no kill animal shelter in my area!

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, let's all just try to calm down here. We are all concerned with the wellbeing of this cat, but this is a minor we're dealing with, and she's doing the best she can under the circumstances.

I would just like to interject: do we know what is going to happen to this cat, given the quarantine order, if she takes her to a shelter (no-kill or not)?

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for areas in Liverpool or Syracuse. I'm also lookig for myself for animal shelthers. but i want to make sure they wouldn;t put her to sleep. Zip 13090

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you would be willing to give us a zip code or city(oops, we posted at the same time!), then we could help you find a no-kill shelter. However, it may be hard to do if rabies is suspected, because most no-kill shelters have the health of all animals in their facility at heart and cannot risk rabies coming into the shelter.

Please do not take this as a criticism, I don't mean it to be harsh. You will remember this heartbreaking experience forever, and it's very sad to me that you and Whiskers are in this predicament. If you decide to have pets again after you're on your own and financially stable, this is why rabies shots are required by law. I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but preventive treatment of pets is way better than having to deal with such a terrible problem.

Here is one shelter I could find near you based on the county in the letter:

Central New York SPCA - they became no-kill in the 90's
5878 East Molloy Road
Syracuse, NY 13211
Phone: (315) 454-4479

Please, call them and tell them your entire situation. Make sure to tell them who you are, that your parents are unable to afford veterinary care for Whiskers, that Whiskers has recently been seriously injured, and that the vet suspects rabies and you have been ordered to quarantine. Answer any questions they ask you honestly. They may be able to direct you to someone, or at least tell you your options. I don't know if there is anything anyone can do now, but if anyone will know it will be the SPCA.

Best wishes for you and Whiskers.

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, It will be hard on me. Its hard on me and whiskers right now. I just talked with my parents about giving her up so she can get help. If i'm giving her up what do I do with her medicine. I know i have to give it to her all the time, but if i'm giving her up to an animal shelther what do i do with it. so if my cat does have rabies no animal shelter will take her, what will happen to her then?

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appologize if I seemed harsh, I did not know she was a minor... that leaves me more surprised that her parents would allow her to have a pet, and not expect to have to help with the wellbeing and care for it.

best of luck to you, our shelter here is No kill.... and I have adopted both my furbabies from them. they are willing to help with anything, anytime... and will even give people food for their pets of they cant afford it. We can also get medical attention for our pets through them<their vet> for low cost.. I got my first kitties spayed, full shots, and microchipped for 40 bucks... and they gave me a pet carrier and a 40 pound bag of food as a parting gift

There are great shelters out there, and you will fine one to help. I will keep you in my prayers.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I didn't say that, don't lose heart and get discouraged already! It will be harder to find a shelter, because not all of them have the capacity to fully quarantine an animal that long. Just be honest, tell them your whole situation, and see what they have to say.

The medicine, just continue giving it to her as directed, and if you find a shelter, then bring it along.

Good luck, sweetie. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you.

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This kid probably can't turn the cat in without parents' permission. I just went through a whole saga with a 16 year old friend of mine, and her dog that her parents abuse. She wanted to give the dog to me, because it's her dog and she pays the bills for her. But the police said that she's underage, so everything she has, her parents own. The dog belongs to her parents and she can't give me the dog unless it's ok with them (which it is not).

So if this OP is 16, the cat belongs to his/her parents and they get to make the final decision on what happens.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've got to chime in again. It sounds to me as if the vet is just following the health dept. rules concerning animal bites. No vet in his right mind would send an animal home if he even suspected rabies as a possibility. He's doing what he's required by law to do.
Sweetie (I wish I knew your name), I think you're doing the best you know how. My daughter is 16, and I'm sure she has no idea how much care a sick cat needs or how expensive it can become. You've actually gone thru the hard part; I think I understand how difficult it was for you to get Whiskers to a vet. I know a lot of folks think you should give Whiskers to a no-kill shelter, and sometimes I feel that way, too. On the one hand it would be in her best interest to be given to someone who is better equipped financially to take care of her. On the other hand, she's your baby & I assume you love her to pieces. Do you REALLY want to give her up?
Look at it this way--can you keep her strictly indoors for 6 months? Can you take on her total care for that period of time? Can you get her back to the vet for her rabies shot (which, by the way, is inexpensive)? If you can't honestly say yes to these questions, then you have to do what you have to do.
I know some post have been a little harsh but everyone is truly concerned about Whiskers' well-being. Loads of luck with your decision.

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theres not much i an do since i am underage. I really don't want to give her up, but it's all i can do for her. My parents decided to take her to the animal hospital for 6 months, so i won't be seeing her for awhile then. My parens are also concern for whiskers, they are also concern about me. I really don't what my cat to suffer, and all can do is give her a pill and check up on her. I feel like she needs ore help then that.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they are just going to confine the cat to a snmall cage with little to no human interaction for 6 months? I still don't understand why 6 months, that is not the quarintine time for rabies, it's only like 10 days.

So what is going to be happening in that 6 months? Is your cat going to be receiving tests or treatments? Is he just going to sit there all alone? That is no life for a cat. If this is all that can be done I would probably euthanize the cat rather than have it go through this ordeal. that is going to be awfully hard on the cat.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like she needs more help then that.
Is there something more than the abcess going on? Are you sure Whiskers is healthy otherwise?
I'm having a hard time believing a 6-month quarantine for the vague possibility that an animal may have contracted rabies.
This just gets curiouser and curiouser.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Is there something more than the abcess going on? Are you sure Whiskers is healthy otherwise?
I'm having a hard time believing a 6-month quarantine for the vague possibility that an animal may have contracted rabies.
This just gets curiouser and curiouser.
Look back a page or two, she wrote a verbatim copy of the letter she received in regards to Whiskers quaratine time. It was very specific. I don't really know why so many seem "out to get her" after she provided a very sensibly written document from her vet/county animal control explaining their quarantine procedures.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are your parents affording a six-month stay in an animal hospital when they couldn't afford one vet treatment? Are you paying for it with the job you may get? I'm just concerned that that is a whole lot of pressure on a family's finances when things are so tight they can't get routine care for the pet. And it would be so unfair if you have to pay for it, to you.

I do hope Whiskers gets all better. Good luck.

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
http://nwco.net/031-ExcerpsOfNewYork...nitaryCode.asp

New York is now enforcing a 6 month quarantine period for all animals (domestics only) that may have been bitten by a rabid animal. Hissy mentioned above that they're having a rabies problem and are thus taking stricter precautions.

Given this, I don't think she has the option to surrender the cat to a shelter, as that would violate the terms of the quarantine.

~Julia

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
xxcragalxx,

HOW IS WHISKERS DOING RIGHT NOW?
Has she been eating, drinking, and using the litter box OK? How does she respond to you? How is she moving? She may be a little weaker than before, but I hope she's holding up OK.

She's probably still in some pain, but she should be eating, drinking, and using the litter box at least a little. She may be less affectionate towards you (vet visits and pillings can make anyone grumpy!), but not hiding all the time.

Do not lose heart. You are not a bad person. Even the most accomplished cat rescuers have moments when they think, "If only I knew this earlier, if only I had some more money..." We do the best that we can with what we have on hand.

You've done the best you can for your Whiskers. You saw she was sick, you looked for help, you found this forum and asked for help. Then, you followed advice and got her medical attention.

Before, you didn't know how important it is to get good professional veterinary care when a cat is hurt as badly as this, but then you found out. You were probably already worried over Whiskers when all this new information hit you, but you were still able to call on your family for help to get her to a vet.

Do you remember what the vet's exact diagnosis was?
It sounds like the injury on Whisker's back was diagnosed as a bite from another cat, and the vet treated her by putting an e-collar on her and giving you pills for her. The e-collar will keep her from picking at the wound, and the pills are probably antibiotics to fight the infection. An infected bite is definitely a serious injury but not necessarily a fatal one. If there are no complications, Whiskers should heal up OK.

xxcragalxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said it was pretty bad. I only have 6 days to be with Whiskers. She's staying at the hospital for 6 months, but I would not be getting her back. I decided to give up for her own health and a better home. So she's going to the hospital on Wednsday. next week is my last i can stay with her.. It's the best i can do so far. There is a lot of pressure, but itsmostly my fault. My parents gave up their anniversay plan to help whiskers, which i'm happy they helped. giving up whisker is the only choice i have, she need more help and my family is unable to afford it. My family is also in a procccess of moving. it's taking time to fix up the house. as long whisker is getting treated and a better home, i am happy. just hurts that i wont e able to see her again.

Whisker is eating, drinking, she doesn't like her pill very much. for some reason she doesn't use her kitty litter. She always seems not to use it and go anywhere. She does move around, mostly laying down. She still come to me when i walk in, but when it comes to the pill.. she'll try to avoid the pill by putting her head down. She does hate the Ecollar, hate hates the pill.