I lost my new cat... in my room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like I am being accused of being a bad guy. I will try to explain what I thought was clear. I am terribly sorry it wasn't clear.
Changing homes will be stressful- truth, followed  by going with someone he has spent a lot of time with, which helps quite a bit.  Lea98 I'm sorry if you didn't get that I was saying he was going with someone  he knows is good. I did not make out like you just tossed him out.
The questions I asked, should have been asked from day one. I'm sorry. I know that you care about Makko and still want to help him in any way you can. I was only trying to help you do just that.

I am sorry if I didn't explain my intentions very well. I didn't think I said anything that would make you feel like I was saying you had done something wrong. I think giving him to someone he knows was an excellent choice. He should be happier being an only cat. It did break your heart, because doing the best for someone else can take a lot of strength. You were thinking about him, you did good and I send out prayers that it works and seeing him thrive will help heal your heart.
Oh no, I didn't think you were "a bad guy" at all! Of course, I was feeling bad about the situation and seeing other people agreeing that I rushed him didn't exactly help. You, however were helping me from the beginning and continued to give me guidance. I appreciated the continuous support. Unfortunately the past owner, once again, has not answered me. But I did take your instructions to heart. So thank you.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
iI do tend to be blunt, and sometimes it can sound harsh, and there are situations, like yours that need a more tender touch. I wish I could give you a hug, I do know how much "doing the right thing" can be way painful. I hope you have been able to heal, some. It takes time. Of course when (I am being positive here!) Makko does thrive you can be happy.

There wasn't one single thing you did wrong. There was no way you could have known a female cat would be that upsetting, I thought she would be a great help! Sometimes even a cat you know well, you think, can totally prove you wrong. I'm hoping sharing this with you can make you feel less alone.

My neighbor rented his house out, temporarily. When the renters moved out they left two litters of kittens with one of the mothers. The kittens of the mother taken were already weaned, about 14 to 15 weeks old. A lady with a brand new teaching job was in an apartment where she could have one cat. I thought Mr would be perfect, he is very outgoing, confident, not afraid of much. He could handle being an only cat. It was about a month later the teacher called and said Mr wouldn't eat, he wouldn't play. Litterbox was not a problem but he was noticeably thinner. The teacher asked if I would really take him back, I had said that every time, and was surprised when I said yes. I know she was heartbroken and felt like failure, but she was wanting to do the best for him. I wish I had gotten her contact info and could have let her know Mr was okay, I'm sure she thought about him. It's been 12 years and I still think of her with sadness, you could feel her pain so much I remember. Any time I have placed a kitten I raised (sort of), it hurt; not as much as you hurt, but it's not easy.

So, my total misread of Mr. I remember being in the kitchen, had noted Mr was curled up under the table, there was a pitiful cry, I turned around to see Mr looking around, frantically, looking downright scared. Before I could get to him two cats came trotting into the kitchen, straight over to him and licking him, comforting him. Even the cats were worried, hearing him cry, knowing he needed to know he wasn't alone. Could I have misjudged this kitten any worse? I sent him to the wrong home, hurting Mr and that poor young woman.

You saw a young cat that had been bullied by male cats, and believed he could be helped by a female, which I thought you had right. How could you have known different?!

Every move you have made was in his best interest, hen it hurt. Like I said earlier, I would love to give you a hug.

Have you gotten any news yet?

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
iI do tend to be blunt, and sometimes it can sound harsh, and there are situations, like yours that need a more tender touch. I wish I could give you a hug, I do know how much "doing the right thing" can be way painful. I hope you have been able to heal, some. It takes time. Of course when (I am being positive here!) Makko does thrive you can be happy.
There wasn't one single thing you did wrong. There was no way you could have known a female cat would be that upsetting, I thought she would be a great help! Sometimes even a cat you know well, you think, can totally prove you wrong. I'm hoping sharing this with you can make you feel less alone.

My neighbor rented his house out, temporarily. When the renters moved out they left two litters of kittens with one of the mothers. The kittens of the mother taken were already weaned, about 14 to 15 weeks old. A lady with a brand new teaching job was in an apartment where she could have one cat. I thought Mr would be perfect, he is very outgoing, confident, not afraid of much. He could handle being an only cat. It was about a month later the teacher called and said Mr wouldn't eat, he wouldn't play. Litterbox was not a problem but he was noticeably thinner. The teacher asked if I would really take him back, I had said that every time, and was surprised when I said yes. I know she was heartbroken and felt like failure, but she was wanting to do the best for him. I wish I had gotten her contact info and could have let her know Mr was okay, I'm sure she thought about him. It's been 12 years and I still think of her with sadness, you could feel her pain so much I remember. Any time I have placed a kitten I raised (sort of), it hurt; not as much as you hurt, but it's not easy.
So, my total misread of Mr. I remember being in the kitchen, had noted Mr was curled up under the table, there was a pitiful cry, I turned around to see Mr looking around, frantically, looking downright scared. Before I could get to him two cats came trotting into the kitchen, straight over to him and licking him, comforting him. Even the cats were worried, hearing him cry, knowing he needed to know he wasn't alone. Could I have misjudged this kitten any worse? I sent him to the wrong home, hurting Mr and that poor young woman.
You saw a young cat that had been bullied by male cats, and believed he could be helped by a female, which I thought you had right. How could you have known different?!
Every move you have made was in his best interest, hen it hurt. Like I said earlier, I would love to give you a hug.
Have you gotten any news yet?
I am planning to visit him and his new family tomorrow as a matter of fact. I'm excited (about little sad too) but I heard he was doing fine, adjusting but actually coming out and using the litter box. I guess here, perhaps, he was too afraid of running into Amira so he was reduced to using the bathroom under the bed. I'm sorry to hear about Mr, as I said in an earlier statement not every animal is a correct fit for someone's family. Every animal fits in somewhere but it may not be with you, or in my case, me. I can't wait to see how he's doing! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning to visit him and his new family tomorrow as a matter of fact. I'm excited (about little sad too) but I heard he was doing fine, adjusting but actually coming out and using the litter box. I guess here, perhaps, he was too afraid of running into Amira so he was reduced to using the bathroom under the bed. I'm sorry to hear about Mr, as I said in an earlier statement not every animal is a correct fit for someone's family. Every animal fits in somewhere but it may not be with you, or in my case, me. I can't wait to see how he's doing! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]
Oh please let us know how Makko is doing after you see him. It does sound like he is making good progress towards settling in, which is just wonderful news [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are so right! I misread Mr and sent him to a bad fit. He is still here, with his sister and adopted siblings. He needed company and here he gets plenty. :)

Whenever I hear about litter boxes and multiple cats, one reason they say to have one box per cat + one, is because some cats will attack another cat as it is using the box, and the cat that was attacked will be afraid to use the box. Afraid of being attacked again. Maybe he'd been through that often enough that just the presence of another cat kept him from the box. With your friend, and no other cats, he now feels safe. Immediate proof that you did the right thing!

Every time I think about you, I hope, so badly, that Makko is thriving. For him, and for you.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Every animal fits in somewhere but it may not be with you, or in my case, me.
More true words have never been spoken.

That's also why I had to sign a legal contract with the SPCA shelter I adopted from that if the cat didn't work out in my home, I would bring him back.  They recognized that there can just be a bad match between home and cat.  My youngest kitty Midway did have one of those bad matches; he had been adopted out and returned 6 weeks later because he didn't get along with the owner's 4 black labs.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*UPDATE*

I went to see Makko today annnnnd I could not believe it was the same cat. I had to ask twice if she didn't just replace him with another black cat. He greeted me at the door, came and sat on the couch with us soaking in all the love, being petted and purring endlessly. He was completely in his own element, you would have never been able to tell that he was ever afraid of anything. He roams the house freely and looks very content. I'm so glad I made the decision to let him go, it really was for the best. I see that now.

Thank you all for the advice and responses, the support from this community is amazing. Your love and guidance made all the difference. Now I can sleep better tonight and know everything worked out in the end![emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji]

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the best news EVER!!!!! Thank you for sharing the update, it really made my day [emoji]128522[/emoji]

I know this whole situation was really hard on you but this was all for Makko for without you, he would not be blossoming into the cat he is supposed to be but never had the chance to be. If it were not for you, he may never have had that chance. YOU saved him [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hellomisskitty hellomisskitty

Once again, thank you for being there![emoji]10084[/emoji]

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just so thrilled this story seems to be having such a wonderful ending. Your update on how Makko is doing was exactly what I was hoping for.....no, it was way better than I was hoping for [emoji]128522[/emoji]
If you think of it, please keep us posted on how Makko is getting along.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*UPDATE*

I went to see Makko today annnnnd I could not believe it was the same cat. I had to ask twice if she didn't just replace him with another black cat. He greeted me at the door, came and sat on the couch with us soaking in all the love, being petted and purring endlessly. He was completely in his own element, you would have never been able to tell that he was ever afraid of anything. He roams the house freely and looks very content. I'm so glad I made the decision to let him go, it really was for the best. I see that now.

Thank you all for the advice and responses, the support from this community is amazing. Your love and guidance made all the difference. Now I can sleep better tonight and know everything worked out in the end![emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji]
Tears of joy! Amazing the difference of being the only cat. I never would have thought it would be so fast, shows what I know.
You saw his story, you went and picked him up, you introduced him to your friend. Without you none of this would be possible.<3