I lost my new cat... in my room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*UPDATE*

Unfortunately, I came to the painful conclusion to rehome Makko. After four days of refusing to eat, drink, or use the litter box I decided it would be best to give him to someone who would have more time to address his issues and focus all their attention on him with no other cats. I feel terrible, like I failed him. However I couldn't continue to let him urinate in my room or starve himself.

Sometimes pets seem like they're made for us, they can fit so perfectly into our lives/homes. And then, sadly, there are some that are not. Not every animal you get will be a match. It hurts but your job as a human being, decider, and as a animal lover is to make the tough decisions to sacrifice your own happiness for them to have a shot of their own.

I wish Makko and his new owner all the best. Truly, I wished it could have worked out. I wanted to be his refuge/friend but it simply was not meant to be. However it is his right to have a family, just not with me (and apparently not with Amira). With such sweetness that he possessed, I have no doubt he will offer someone years of unconditional love and companionship! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*UPDATE*

Unfortunately, I came to the painful conclusion to rehome Makko. After four days of refusing to eat, drink, or use the litter box I decided it would be best to give him to someone who would have more time to address his issues and focus all their attention on him with no other cats. I feel terrible, like I failed him. However I couldn't continue to let him urinate in my room or starve himself.

Sometimes pets seem like they're made for us, they can fit so perfectly into our lives/homes. And then, sadly, there are some that are not. Not every animal you get will be a match. It hurts but your job as a human being, decider, and as a animal lover is to make the tough decisions to sacrifice your own happiness for them to have a shot of their own.

I wish Makko and his new owner all the best. Truly, I wished it could have worked out. I wanted to be his refuge/friend but it simply was not meant to be. However it is his right to have a family, just not with me (and apparently not with Amira). With such sweetness that he possessed, I have no doubt he will offer someone years of unconditional love and companionship! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]
Who did you give him to?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was so soon. You put this post up two days ago, I thought he was simply hiding but eating and using the pan? was he not for four days? Did you tell the new owners this? If he wasn't eating or using the pan then I would think he is ill or will be by this point. I hope Makko will be okay.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you are moving very quickly here. This little guy needs to be settled. Maybe you can give him some more time? He hasn't even begun to come out of his shell.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Awww.......so sad. It'll be more stressful for Makko.

It's no point saying now since you've given him away already. I just hope the best for him. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was so soon. You put this post up two days ago, I thought he was simply hiding but eating and using the pan? was he not for four days? Did you tell the new owners this? If he wasn't eating or using the pan then I would think he is ill or will be by this point. I hope Makko will be okay.
Actually, I put this post up three days ago, implying that I had taken him in "yesterday". And yes, the now current owner was there with me everyday through the struggle, that's why she agreed to take him. She's indeed a dear friend that I tend to visit daily. So if there is any trouble, like she was for me, I will be there for her. [emoji]128578[/emoji]

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that you are moving very quickly here. This little guy needs to be settled. Maybe you can give him some more time? He hasn't even begun to come out of his shell.
Unfortunately, I couldn't stretch this out any longer. I live with a roommate and this is HER house. With him urinating under my bed the whole time, I had to mop the floor every day. One day I was out and came home and she said she could smell his urine from the living room and started complaining on how it was very bad for our health. She gave me the options of either taking him to the shelter, or I needed to find a new place to go. I gave him a better shot of finding a home then the shelter since they let out a report yesterday that they were overcapacity.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww.......so sad. It'll be more stressful for Makko.

It's no point saying now since you've given him away already. I just hope the best for him. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
I visit this friend almost every day. I'm sure he'll be fine. Just like she was there for me every day he was with me, I will be there for her. We'll work together to help him adjust.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I visit this friend almost every day. I'm sure he'll be fine. Just like she was there for me every day he was with me, I will be there for her. We'll work together to help him adjust.
[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Changing homes will be stressful, but going with someone he has spent a lot of time with helps quite a bit. Did the previous owner give you any medical history, what Makko ate and the litter used? The best of all would be knowing what vet had seen Makko, would have his records.

Medical history in so very important. Any changes in food (or litter for that matter) has to be done slowly. Makko really does need to visit a vet, he needs a check up.

Please contact the previous owner for those answers. Please make sure your friend doesn't change the food, again, unless it's back to what Makko ate before and can transition. Litter can be an issue, different textures, smells, many things can be uncomfortable.

You are trying so hard to "do the right thing", sometimes that is very complicated.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Changing homes will be stressful, but going with someone he has spent a lot of time with helps quite a bit. Did the previous owner give you any medical history, what Makko ate and the litter used? The best of all would be knowing what vet had seen Makko, would have his records.
Medical history in so very important. Any changes in food (or litter for that matter) has to be done slowly. Makko really does need to visit a vet, he needs a check up.
Please contact the previous owner for those answers. Please make sure your friend doesn't change the food, again, unless it's back to what Makko ate before and can transition. Litter can be an issue, different textures, smells, many things can be uncomfortable.
You are trying so hard to "do the right thing", sometimes that is very complicated.
When I texted him last time he never texted back. I'm not sure what else to do. I'll try texting him again and if he responds, I'll let my friend know. She plans to take him to the vet. Right now he's just too timid to take to a public place. I had to think of not only him but the threat to all my pets. With my roommate threatening to force me out, due to his constant urination in my room, my two chihuahuas and Amira, my other cat would have had to be surrendered as no one else would have been as lenient as my current roommate is with my three animals. So sorry if this is an unpopular decision.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you had any real choice.

You are right that you have to think of your three pets first.  If the roommate said no urination and you are at risk of losing your housing, there is no sense in becoming homeless and trying to care for animals while homeless.

As you say, you don't have time to let him adjust.  And better now than a month later when he is settled.  Right now, as far as he's concerned, he's still in transit.

And there is no good reason to argue that the cat needs the additional stress of living with another animal that he is convinced is trying to kill him.  When taking in a cat, the goal should be to lower the stress, not increase it.

The ideal setup for Makko sounds like it's being the only cat in the household.  That level of fear.....no animal should be put through that.  There is no sense in keeping him and just hoping his fear level drops before the stress causes a physical problem or five.  The responsible thing is to find another house for him, it's being responsible to him and being responsible to your other three.

It's also part of being a good roommate.  And doing what's right for people does kinda rank right up there with doing what's right for pets.

I've had a cat terrified of another cat.  The cat that she was afraid of had no understanding of her fear level and ultimately it ended up at the emergency vet at one point.  His idea of play was her idea of being hunted.  She was constantly wetting our bed because she was too terrified to walk down the hall to the litter box even though he was snoozing two rooms away from the hall.

It's not pretty.  That level of fear.....no, it's not good for the health of the cat.

You did do the right thing.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you had any real choice.

You are right that you have to think of your three pets first.  If the roommate said no urination and you are at risk of losing your housing, there is no sense in becoming homeless and trying to care for animals while homeless.

As you say, you don't have time to let him adjust.  And better now than a month later when he is settled.  Right now, as far as he's concerned, he's still in transit.

And there is no good reason to argue that the cat needs the additional stress of living with another animal that he is convinced is trying to kill him.  When taking in a cat, the goal should be to lower the stress, not increase it.

The ideal setup for Makko sounds like it's being the only cat in the household.  That level of fear.....no animal should be put through that.  There is no sense in keeping him and just hoping his fear level drops before the stress causes a physical problem or five.  The responsible thing is to find another house for him, it's being responsible to him and being responsible to your other three.

It's also part of being a good roommate.  And doing what's right for people does kinda rank right up there with doing what's right for pets.

I've had a cat terrified of another cat.  The cat that she was afraid of had no understanding of her fear level and ultimately it ended up at the emergency vet at one point.  His idea of play was her idea of being hunted.  She was constantly wetting our bed because she was too terrified to walk down the hall to the litter box even though he was snoozing two rooms away from the hall.

It's not pretty.  That level of fear.....no, it's not good for the health of the cat.

You did do the right thing.
Thank you so much. I really do feel awful about the whole situation. I cried last night so much because he was so sweet but any noise coming from beyond my room frightened him (I have 3 other roommates right now so you can imagine). I related to him in that sense because I know what it's like going from household to household. Its just terrible, like you can't breathe. I just couldn't watch him be afraid anymore, but as I said, the person I gave him to was the one who went with me when I first got him and she visited everyday knowing he was having difficulty adjusting. She has her own house and owned cats in her childhood and currently had no other pets. I think that would be best for him. Others may not agree but it was WAY better than taking him to the shelter. That would have been even more damaging, in my opinion.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I really do feel awful about the whole situation. I cried last night so much because he was so sweet but any noise coming from beyond my room frightened him (I have 3 other roommates right now so you can imagine). I related to him in that sense because I know what it's like going from household to household. Its just terrible, like you can't breathe. I just couldn't watch him be afraid anymore, but as I said, the person I gave him to was the one who went with me when I first got him and she visited everyday knowing he was having difficulty adjusting. She has her own house and owned cats in her childhood and currently had no other pets. I think that would be best for him. Others may not agree but it was WAY better than taking him to the shelter. That would have been even more damaging, in my opinion.
I do think you made the right choice for both of you. Thank you for explaining more.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
People were coming down a little hard on you. I'm sorry you had to basically explain yourself instead of just being able to say "it's the best thing for all of us".

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People were coming down a little hard on you. I'm sorry you had to basically explain yourself instead of just being able to say "it's the best thing for all of us".
I agree. I think it sounds like Makko is in the environment that will be ideal for him. You got him out of the terrible conditions you found him in and quickly realized that your home would not be the best for him and ensured he now has one that sounds ideal for him. I agree that a lovely home with an experienced cat lover is far better than a shelter. Remind yourself of this when you feel upset: Makko is safe, warm, has food and love. He will adjust and his new, wonderful life will begin [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
arouetta arouetta hellomisskitty hellomisskitty Thank you so much for your support, I woke up this morning still feeling like I let him down but your replies made me feel much better. I truly appreciate it.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like I am being accused of being a bad guy. I will try to explain what I thought was clear. I am terribly sorry it wasn't clear.

Changing homes will be stressful- truth, followed  by going with someone he has spent a lot of time with, which helps quite a bit.  Lea98 I'm sorry if you didn't get that I was saying he was going with someone  he knows is good. I did not make out like you just tossed him out.

The questions I asked, should have been asked from day one. I'm sorry. I know that you care about Makko and still want to help him in any way you can. I was only trying to help you do just that.

I am sorry if I didn't explain my intentions very well. I didn't think I said anything that would make you feel like I was saying you had done something wrong. I think giving him to someone he knows was an excellent choice. He should be happier being an only cat. It did break your heart, because doing the best for someone else can take a lot of strength. You were thinking about him, you did good and I send out prayers that it works and seeing him thrive will help heal your heart.