I lost 69.2lbs went from a tight 16 to a size 4!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Since I started working and being happy with myself, I gradually lost almost 70lbs

I went from a tight size 16 to a size 4
, and when I weigh in today, I was 69.2lbs lighter!!!!

At the beginning I was not feeling good about myself at all.... I know know a size 16 is not huge, but for me it was. I had never been that size, and I was feeling like a cow. I was not enjoying so many things I liked - like going to the beach, or to the lake, or feeling great and just proud to be me
Now, Who would thought, I look great in a 2pc bikini

Slowly, I started to watch what I eat.... This was a very slow process.
I know when people see me, they think I either did drugs, had surgery, or there is some magic behind it - "give me the magic pill"

Well..... The truth is, even though it seems that it was magic, because once they saw me fat and now they see me skinny, so for them the weight just dropped, it took 1 1/2 yr
Here is what changed in my life:
#1 - before I ate compulsively - I ate until I could not fit food in my stomach anymore.... just to eat.... then I ate some more.
Now I watch to really recognize when I am HUNGRY. If I am not hungry I do not eat.
I only eat what is really good and what is worthy - no empty calories, no more eating because it is in front of me - if I am full, I do not eat.
The food better be really good.... If I take a bite of a desert and it is not good..... to the trash it goes. No white rice, no white bread, no white anything - I went healthy - whole grains.
Yes, I eat a lot of frozen food - but I eat organic/healthy (healthier) stuff - Kashi and Amy's

And I also eat tons of salad now - especially at dinner - the greens I don't worry about, but all the added stuff - chicken, cheese, dressing, nuts, etc, is measured to make sure I don't eat a day's worth of calories in a salad.
If I go to a restaurant, The sides are salad with balsamic vinaigrette and steamed vegetables (or a plain baked potato) and the entree is usually fish, grilled chicken, or filet - I eat in restaurants a whole lot due to my traveling, so I usually ask to modify my meals, remove the sauces, etc.
Do I splurge? SURE - I am not on a diet - this for me turned in a way of healthy living..... Brazil was an example..... I ate everything..... I went for dinners, lunches.... It was very very calorie intensive - but I chose my calories well. If there was a Shrimp dish, I would eat it,but not eat the white rice - that right there, to me, is a waste of calories. Also, I would just eat until I was satisfied.
I would get a bit of each dessert and not a plate full....
Something else I have been doing, which I love and has helped me drop over 20points on my cholesterol, is take Flaxseed Meal before my meals. I take 2 flat TBS mixed with a bit of light juice followed by a glass of water before my meals. It has a ton of fiber and that alone already fills me u some before I start eating so I am not as hungry.....
Anyways...... Not going to bother you any longer............
I thought my experience would be good for some who are trying to lose some weight..... I just kind of wanted to share my success stories too -
Now on to rebuild my closet - I have NOTHING that fits me
I just bought 2 pants, 2 shirts and 1 suit at Ross to use at business meetings because my business clothes look like potato sacks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

That is awesome!! Congratulations!!
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Way to go, and what an inspiration!
Thank you guys

Oh, and I forgot to say...... I am off Cigarettes as well - been happily vaping since July - THANK YOU Jcat!!
And hasn't affected my weight loss in the least!!

What affected me is..... no more chronic bronchitis (my doc gave me the clear lungs last week!!) no more coughing, no more sleeping with cough meds!!!
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's so awesome!! Do you do any physical activity, and has that helped you as well?? Thank you so much for sharing this with us, because it definitely helps to hear of someone's success..

I am trying to lose about 30 pounds that I gained while I was looking for a job and being generally depressed..I ate compulsively too, but now I am finally somewhat happy in life as well and no longer eat compulsively, THANK GOD!! The thing that gets me still right now is social lunches/breakfast at work. I work in a corporate setting, and everyone is always eating, and the company does everything to provide food for us, they are probably thinking if they feed us we'll stay during lunch and get some work done

I also joined a gym and I'm loving that so much...I've been going every day and doing classes

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!!! It is a difficult journey!

I've lost 15 pounds since Sept 15th. I have a whole lot more to go, but I too am doing it sensibly. I'm following an 1800 calorie diabetic diet to maintain my blood sugars and since my leg has been feeling better, I've been doing a whole lot more walking at work. Instead of picking up the phone to phone someone in the next room to deliver a message, I get up and walk it there. Every step counts!

No chocolate, no sweets, no chips, no sauces other than plain tomato sauce seasoned with herbs. No fried food and I use no fat salad dressings. And because I'm diabetic I need to snack, so I've been choosing those snacks wisely. Things like a handful of peanuts, or peanut butter and a few unsalted soda crackers.

I've pretty much given up soft drinks (aka pop). I sometimes over did it on diet coke. But now I try to ony have it once or twice a month and the rest of the time I drink water or crystal light, or plain herbal tea.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!! That is amazing and such dedication!
Such an inspiration to so many people!

I decided to try and see if I could lose some weight this month - been eating salads for lunch with a fruit bowl instead of going out to eat daily, snack on some Boar's Head chicken lunchmeat instead of chocolate or chips or something, no sodas during the week (I allow myself Saturday and sometimes Sunday as a cheat day), cut out most alcohol for the rest of the month. (Til the bonfire on the 29th, then it's fair game!)

It started after I felt so horrible trying on a costume for Halloween my friend lent me that she wore 2 years ago - we both decided to "de-fluff" this month. So far the scale dropped 5lbs in the last week and a half-ish since I started eating better. I have a hard time being optimistic about things, so I'm convinced it's because I haven't lifted weights in a couple weeks and I'm losing muscle instead, but I'm not sure. I dont know if I'll remain as strict as I'm being on myself right now, but I noticed I don't crave soda like I used to (2-3 daily) and feel better not eating heavy fattening lunches.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is amazing Carolina! Congratulations to you! I know it couldn't have been "easy."

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's pretty amazing, as the cigs alone is hard enough and is a bit of an appetite suppressant. Grats, that's a serious accomplishment!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

fantastic, you should be so proud of yourself. That is a huge accomplishment
Thank you
Yeah, I am.... and I am very happy too! I feel happy, I walk "taller" - it's nice

Originally Posted by ut0pia

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's so awesome!! Do you do any physical activity, and has that helped you as well?? Thank you so much for sharing this with us, because it definitely helps to hear of someone's success.. I am ashamed to say that I didn't
I felt so bad at first about my body, I was always self-conscious about going to the gym - never liked all those skinny people jumping from one side to another at the rhythm of the music - always thought I would look stupid and out of place. I like sports, and hate gyms. BUTTTT...... I am getting ready to go now
I am going to check a yoga class with a friend of mine, and also a customer of mine from KS City (which is close to me) and happens to be a Zumba dance instructor is fixing me up with a friend of her here in Dallas, so I will check that out too, as I LOVE dancing!! I am feeling the need now to move move move my body, give more shape to it, get some muscles going... Don't know, just feel like going all the way now!

I am trying to lose about 30 pounds that I gained while I was looking for a job and being generally depressed..I ate compulsively too, but now I am finally somewhat happy in life as well and no longer eat compulsively, THANK GOD!! The thing that gets me still right now is social lunches/breakfast at work. I work in a corporate setting, and everyone is always eating, and the company does everything to provide food for us, they are probably thinking if they feed us we'll stay during lunch and get some work done
See, that's exactly what made me gain so much weight, and what made me lose - start working, being happy with myself, and liking myself again. IMHO that's the key.
I travel a lot, so I am always eating out.... talk about hard! Restaurants feel bad for you, I think - even when you ask them for the lightest thing in the menu, AND modify it to make it lighter, they still hide some butter to make it tastier.... It is hard, but it can be done. There is always something you CAN eat in every setting - even McDonalds - seriously. I am sure at your work too... Look at the lighest stuff, start with salads, stay with the lean cut meats, drop the white rice... Drop the butter, sauces, and the portion sizes - get little bits of everything and eat slowly... Go back to basics.... We really know what to do.... Can you take some fruit to work?
When you think that's about YOU first, and not about what you are missing, then it is easier to pass on things. When I see french fries today, or a pizza.... I don't think it is torture not to eat - because I know what it can do to ME. Once you get that ingrained into your brain.... it gets easier... I don't feel anymore I am depriving myself of it.

I also joined a gym and I'm loving that so much...I've been going every day and doing classes
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Congrats!!! It is a difficult journey!

I've lost 15 pounds since Sept 15th. Yey Natalie!!
I have a whole lot more to go, but I too am doing it sensibly. Yep, I also believe in going slowly.... the diet thing doesn't really work because you always drop.... you need to go.... and keep going.... until it is just part of life... and that takes time! But too, it is much much harder to gain it all back, unlike a crunch diet!I'm following an 1800 calorie diabetic diet to maintain my blood sugars and since my leg has been feeling better, I've been doing a whole lot more walking at work. Instead of picking up the phone to phone someone in the next room to deliver a message, I get up and walk it there. Every step counts! Yep, that's the kind of stuff I do too... stairs at the malls, parking the car farther at supermarket, even going back and forth to the kitchen helps....

No chocolate, no sweets, no chips, no sauces other than plain tomato sauce seasoned with herbs. No fried food and I use no fat salad dressings. And because I'm diabetic I need to snack, so I've been choosing those snacks wisely. Things like a handful of peanuts, or peanut butter and a few unsalted soda crackers.

I've pretty much given up soft drinks (aka pop). I sometimes over did it on diet coke. But now I try to ony have it once or twice a month and the rest of the time I drink water or crystal light, or plain herbal tea.
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That's fantastic, Carolina!!! Especially doing it while quitting cigarettes!!!
Thank you

Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Congratulations!!! That is amazing and such dedication!
Such an inspiration to so many people!

I decided to try and see if I could lose some weight this month - been eating salads for lunch with a fruit bowl instead of going out to eat daily, snack on some Boar's Head chicken lunchmeat instead of chocolate or chips or something, no sodas during the week (I allow myself Saturday and sometimes Sunday as a cheat day), cut out most alcohol for the rest of the month. (Til the bonfire on the 29th, then it's fair game!)

It started after I felt so horrible trying on a costume for Halloween my friend lent me that she wore 2 years ago - we both decided to "de-fluff" this month. So far the scale dropped 5lbs in the last week and a half-ish since I started eating better. I have a hard time being optimistic about things, so I'm convinced it's because I haven't lifted weights in a couple weeks and I'm losing muscle instead, but I'm not sure. I dont know if I'll remain as strict as I'm being on myself right now, but I noticed I don't crave soda like I used to (2-3 daily) and feel better not eating heavy fattening lunches.
Be positive!!! If you are eating salads instead of eating out everyday.... you are for sure losing - there are soooooo much calories you can't control in restaurant food, as healthy as they might seem! Keep going slowly.... One day at a time.... take a bit here, a bit there....... you will get there!!

Originally Posted by My4LLMA
thank you hun

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

That is inspirational!
Thank you

Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

That is amazing Carolina! Congratulations to you! I know it couldn't have been "easy."
Thank you
I did it slow... paying attention to me, more than anything.... While it wasn't easy, I can say that today it is, as I am not only afraid of going back, but I am also used to doing it

I am not in a diet - who can stay that long in a diet? So I do allow myself things.... If I am dying for a burger, I go ahead and I eat the darn burger - I have that one meal as my splurge meal - Did that last week. It is not too bad to give your metabolism a shock every once in a while, and also it keeps me from eating everything else. I am not hard on myself either - I don't feel bad about it, don't punish myself... Just know it was that one time. Back to being healthy. Being gentle like this on myself keeps me going... Diets keep you out of life, I think.... I don't like the "D" word

Originally Posted by Ducman69

Wow that's pretty amazing, as the cigs alone is hard enough and is a bit of an appetite suppressant. Grats, that's a serious accomplishment!
Thank you Ducman

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Well done hun,i wish I had your willpower.xx
Yes you have it Ruthy! It is just to not do it as a diet.... Do a little here and there.... Eat a salad... Add fiber to your diet... Get a little healthier... Little by little.... You don't even need to get into the scale at first - I didn't for the longest - I just started to slowly paying attention to me.... Then when the weight started dropping, I started making more changes to my diet... Started weighing myself... Paying more attention to what I eat...
There are so many little things you can do to cut calories that in the long run will add up and make a difference.
My thinking is, if you diet, if you lose too fast.... if you make too many changes at once and deprive yourself too much... Then how can you hold that for long? Then you NEED will power! But look - I started 1 1/2 years ago.... it was slow.... But then again, Hadn't I not started.... I would still be 70lbs heavier

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations.

I need to lose the same amount of weight, I am a size 14-16. I have stopped buying processed food. I used to buy boxed mashed potatoes a lot because they were convenient. Now I make my own mashed potatoes if I want them. My cupboard and freezer look so empty without tons of processed food. I used to have a shelf just for canned food, and now all that is on that shelf is a can of pineapple slices.

I have an appointment with a local 24 hour gym on Monday. I like the idea that I can go whenever I want and don't have to worry about having to be done before they close.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Congratulations.

I need to lose the same amount of weight, I am a size 14-16. I have stopped buying processed food. I used to buy boxed mashed potatoes a lot because they were convenient. Now I make my own mashed potatoes if I want them. My cupboard and freezer look so empty without tons of processed food. I used to have a shelf just for canned food, and now all that is on that shelf is a can of pineapple slices.

I have an appointment with a local 24 hour gym on Monday. I like the idea that I can go whenever I want and don't have to worry about having to be done before they close.

I will say, I still eat processed foods
, and I eat a lot of it
. Yep, I don't really cook

I did make the change of switching to Kashi and Amy's - they are organic and use no preservatives - they are also found on Walmart and Target, which helps a whoooooole lot! Amy's is frozen food - they started selling at Trader Joe's, and I always LOVED their food, so I was just thrilled to see them at target and Walmart!
Kashi has everything - from crackers to cereals, that are great to snack on, to cereal bars, to frozen food.... They are awesome.
Then my salads I just buy the huge trays of washed mixed greens or spinach (did I say I am lazy?
) packs of cherry tomatoes, cooked chicken breast, feta cheese (or mexican fresh white cheese), nuts, cranberry..... and dressing...
The fruit I usually buy cut too - the trays..... oh, and yoghurt!!
I never have much food at home... Sometimes I run out of food (like tonight)- yep, I am a bachelorette
- tomorrow is store day!

I definitely need to follow suit on the Gym thing! Way to go for you!!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can so relate to being intimidated by joining a gym. I'm so happy I found the gym I go to now- as soon as I walk in I feel this positive energy in the air, everyone is so happy and smiling all the time,, because we are all there for the same reason, and everyone is willing to offer support...Besides, people who exercise generally have more endorphins in their brain anyway so they are less likely to be in a bad mood, so they won't be as judgmental and negative towards others! I go to zumba three times a week, a toning class that's both cardio and strength on Fridays, and a spinning class on Mondays...Zumba can make you feel a little strange at first when you're trying to get the moves right, especially for me because I never dance otherwise, but it's tons of fun and time goes sooo fast..

I've been trying to cut down on simple carbs and fat, and eating more lean protein and whole grains, but somehow I'm just not able to do that 100% of the time, and even a small deviation can throw things off balance and fat loss won't happen, especially since I have trouble with portion control too
I guess I just need to be more organized and count my calories, carbs, fat and protein....I really just don't know what else to do, because I do love to eat, and while I don't eat compulsively anymore ( never eat until I'm uncomfortable) I still find it hard to find out exactly when I'm full..Or I can be full and stop eating, but then two hours later I'm ready for a snack again....and small snacks really do add up