I learned how to drive 5 speed tonight!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Okay, I am kinda freaked out now about driving a stick..I remembered last night as I was falling asleep that a girl from my high school got hit by a semi because she turned in front of it and stalled her car..She was killed.

Am I freaked out for no reason? Now I am having second thoughts about owning a standard...:censor::censor::censor::censor:.
I think you will be fine - just take extra care while you are still learning.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We got an automatic last year, after 25 years of stick shifts. A standard transmission is just no fun for city driving, and yes, you do have to be very careful not to stall while learning.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, I am kinda freaked out now about driving a stick..I remembered last night as I was falling asleep that a girl from my high school got hit by a semi because she turned in front of it and stalled her car..She was killed.

Am I freaked out for no reason? Now I am having second thoughts about owning a standard...:censor::censor::censor::censor:.
No, I don't think it's an issue. That car obviously either had problems.. which would quite probably have happened in an automatic as well, or the girl didn't know how to properly drive a standard. It's pretty obvious, or at least it was to me, that I didn't have complete control/mastery of the clutch/gear shift yet when I was learning. It took me a while to completely learn it. I *never* felt comfortable enough to try something like that when I was learning. You just know you're not fast enough to do a speed start when you haven't mastered it yet.

I think it's just as possible to see that type of thing in a standard as it is an automatic, and I don't think it makes a standard any less safe. I also think that given you're already cautious about it, you're going to be mentally aware of the dangers and drive conservatively as opposed to aggressively. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well done Nat - you have done very well to master it so quickly - and don't let the scare stories in the new put you off - you have opened up a whole world of different cars to you now, and can really start enjoying the control you have!!

DH's car is a big lazy executive auto box and I hate driving it - I don't like the idea of the car being in control!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so excited!!

Now I can shop for all cars and not just automatics!! I am so thrilled because I couldn't find any automatics in town..

Now I can race my car

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
OK, now learn to drive a 6 speed and I will let you drive my new Porsche!