I know, but just wondering.....

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Baloo is a 6 month old DSH. We adopted him from a shelter. Of course he is so handsome. I hope these pics show his color well, but his coat has the most softest feel and is sort of a "silver/blue", funny thing is that when we first got him, he was this silver/blue all over and as he has gotten older, the classic stripes are showing through. The stripes are very dark blue or even black. They are getting darker as he grows. But when you see him one way, the stripes don't show and you see him in another way, you see the stripes. He has gold eyes with this definet green ring around the pupil and the green gets larger and larger. He has really dark pink paw pads, unlike Abby and Callie who have light pink paw pads.
Abby is a Red Mackeral Tabby (DSH) and Callie is a Torbie (DSH). I know that Baloo is a DSH, but hwat color would you call him?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A beautiful blue classic tabby
It appears to me from the pics that he may have silver tipping as well - very very nice indeed
Quick question and for my interest only... if you put your hand on the coat does it temporarily leave a hand print? His coat looks like it's double coated and very plush!

Lucky, lucky you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, gosh. I did it and yes, like if you put your hand in sand and take it out, leaves imprint. Wow!
Did it on Abby & Callie and nothing.
Yes, his coat is so soft and smooth and like you said, plush.

This pic really shows his eyes. They are so unusual, everyone notices them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a blue classic tabby and VERY handsome - unusual in the markings as its a little different then the normal blue tabby markings. If the coat is plushy and leaves marks - there's probably a good amount of Russian Blue in the background - those are one of the few cats that has this type of coat.

IMO I'd put him in a cat show in a heartbeat - bet he'd take a lot of awards. If you show him in CFA, try to get him in a show with Diana Doerenberg - she's a RB breeder and a sucker for blue cats - I'm sure she would final him

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG, you really think so? I would love to do that! Do I just find out where a show is and enter him? Enter him in the "non registered" group? Tell me a good website to start on learning how to do this. I could see him in a show, he is soooooo affectionate and loves everybody, but he hates to be cooped up, like when I take him to the vet, he meows and meows the whole way there and the whole way home
Here is an example, it takes me 20 minutes to get to the vets from our home, my daughter and I counted 52 meows in 20 minutes. Drove me nuts....hehe.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And here I am thinking LOTS of British SH!
Once of the main requirements for BSH is the imprint! Lovely amber eyes. I agree with GK in that he's HHP material definately!

Here's a link for CFA shows:

http://cfanewbee.org/

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him used to short drives now. I'm dead serious about showing him

Here's the webpages for CFA, ACFA, and TICA - you'll have to go to there show calendar pages and check for the nearest show.

Two rules: (1) over 8 months has to be neutered/spayed (2) not declawed - CFA bans any declawed cat; ACFA/TICA allow but don't encourage.

He would be entered in the Household Pet section - shorthair. If you need specifics, just ask your questions - we'll be glad to help you out. Too bad you are not in MN - I could help you a lot more

CFA
http://www.cfainc.org/ - go to the Cat shows button

ACFA show calendar:

http://www.acfacats.com/show_schedule.htm

TICA website:
http://www.tica.org/html/english/home/

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True enough - but we see pics, not the cat!
So we can't confirm the tipping at all. However, looking at that cute cute face, I may have to concur with the RB influence

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I'd put him in a cat show in a heartbeat - bet he'd take a lot of awards. If you show him in CFA, try to get him in a show with Diana Doerenberg - she's a RB breeder and a sucker for blue cats - I'm sure she would final him
Talking about judges, I'd bet CFA judge Donna Fuller would final him in a heartbeat too!

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is his discription:

When you run your hand backwards up his coat, the hairs are lighter silver at his skin and get darker about 1/2 way up the hair.

His pads are very dark pink (maybe a mauve) color.

He is about 5 months old now but will be 6 months in Feb.

He is neurtered.

He is ABSOLUTELY NOT declawed!!! (personal opinion-I hate that!!)

One other thing about him is that about the last 3" of his tail (which I feel is unusually long) can't stand straight. It's like when he is standing his tail looks like a " ? " mark, it falls over. Would that be a problem for him?

Went to CFA webiste shows and there is one in Houston the 5 & 6th, rats, missed that one. We live in East Texas.
There is one in Beaumont, Tx the 23 &24 of Feb and I talked to my daughter and we have decided to enter him!!!!

Will do my homework on how this is all done and don't either of you run off, cause now you both have ask for it.

This will be so much fun!!!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice list of judges for that show
Not to worry, I'm not going anywhere. I do sugget you read the new bee link I attached, it does have a lot of good information!

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not gonna agree with the others on this one and I'm 100% of what I'm saying (doesn't mean you have to believe me though). He's blue! However he does have "ghost markings" and they'll disappear with age. It's extremely common in red cats and quite common in blue cats, sometimes you can see it in black cats.

What are ghost markings? Well, all cats carry some kind of pattern: either classic tabby, mackerel tabby or spotted tabby. Not all cats carry the dominant agouti gene though and it's the agouti gene that makes a cat truly patterned.

In some cases though, especially in red cats and kittens, you can see the pattern the cat carries even if they don't carry the agouti gene and that's what we call "ghost markings". Red cats usually live with the ghost markings through all their lives but black pigmented cats pretty much always lose the pattern with age and they become completely solid in color.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more "unusual" things on a cat in a HHP class, the more likely to get the judge's attention - so a ? tail would be a plus

Don't worry we'll help you out with any and all questions. There's several threads in here on bathing cats, and some basic cat show stuff. On the CFA website, you can read about how to show cats (for the novice) which will give you some idea of what's going on.

The Feb show sounds good - will give you time to get things ready. For a first timer, I recommend taking:

4-5 matching towels (to complement your cat) to be used on the inside 3 sides, top and bottom of the cage. Club will provide the cage - you provide everything else.

Grooming supplies (q-tips, cotton balls, nail clippers, comb/brush)

Cat food and 2 dishes (one for food, one for water). Bottled water from home.

Litter pan (small) and bag of litter. Clubs have litter, but I like bringing my own.

Pens, a book to read if you get bored
, small cat toys, feathers.

Wear comfortable shoes! You'll be walking a lot.

At the show, after you fix up the cage for him, then mark your catalog of when the HHP's will be in each ring - this will help you know which ring you need to be watching and approximately when. Be sure to write your cat's number on the catalog or your hand so you know when he's called.

I would give him a few trial baths (at least twice) before the show so you know when to wash him. Usually show cats are washed 1-2 days before a show. You want a clean, soft coat. I recommend you wash him in Nexxus Simply Silver shampoo with a little Nexxus conditioner (you can get Nexxus in your salon shops). Or you can order this: (its what I use on Charlie)

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...HC3&pf_id=1253

Order the Sno-Flake Pet Shampoo - its great for ALL colors

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said the markings have gotten darker. They may or may not be "ghost" but I think they will stay. I've seen "ghost" striping on kittens, but if the markings are getting more, then its not "ghost".

You never know with mixed breeds - how do you explain a blue mctabby/white kitten who changes to a pointed (blue point, then seal point) and then into black/white cat?????

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

She said the markings have gotten darker. They may or may not be "ghost" but I think they will stay. I've seen "ghost" striping on kittens, but if the markings are getting more, then its not "ghost".

You never know with mixed breeds - how do you explain a blue mctabby/white kitten who changes to a pointed (blue point, then seal point) and then into black/white cat?????
This cat also lacks all of the typical tabby signs such as the light "eye liner", lighter ear contours, the white hairs around the mouth and the pinkish nose leather seen in blue tabby cats. This cat simply displays NO tabby signs except from ghost markings.

The phenomen you mention may be caused by many things. Infections in the mother while she's pregnant can affect the pigmentation in kittens causing fever coats and other similar funky phenomenons. Usually the end result isn't funky at all, but the whole pigmentation process can be disturbed and take longer time. Some cats display a strange coat texture which can make the color look strange. I have blue spotted cat in my lap as we speak, he's got no spots and is very pale blue, almost white, on his body but his legs and face are deep blue with tabby markings (the spots could be seen when he was a kitten). This is nothing strange in a Devon Rex because the coat itself makes colors and patterns look different than in other cats and the pigmentation is often bad, making it harder to determine what color they are.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was from barn cats (Ling and her brother/sisters) - every kitten was this way - went thru the same color changes. I bred rexes and never had this happen. I've seen the "fever coats" - this was the weirdest thing I've ever came across in all my years of owning/breeding cats.

Even today in the right light you can still see the "points" around Lings face and legs - and the tabby markings on the side. We figure dad was a tabby - mom was a calico, but we didn't get the normal "calico" litter - they were all the same!

Will be interesting on this kitten tho - if he does keep those tabby markings on the body only

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this kitten would have been red the ghost markings wouldn't have been anything strange since red cats almost always show them (due to the red pigment). I'd say this is one of the few black pigmented cats with the same phenomenon. Time will tell if the ghost markings will stay or go but I'm sure it's ghost markings.

When it comes to your barn cats I can't really say anything as longs as I don't have any pictures, however there are many things that can happen during the foetal time and during the kittens development that can cause strange color phenomenons, I just don't think this blue kitten is a one of those strange phenomenons.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was kinda hoping that my kittens would have stayed with the points and the tabby body stripes
You never know about Mother Nature sometimes

I've also seen a "reverse" blue cream calico barn cat. She was basically white and cream but either had blue or blue tabby on her. However it was only 2 spots of the blue - on her ear and a very small patch on her back - so little of the other color you could not tell if it was a solid or a tabby.

Very unusual coloring and it was a male instead of female, I would have adopted her and shown her - I just prefer males to show