I just seen something I wish I hadn’t…

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn’t sure where else to post this.
I was driving home today and I seen a cat run across the street in heavy traffic, and tragically it was hit by the car ahead of me. I tried not to look as I approached.. it was twitching… and I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t stop because of how congested traffic was.
I just got home… and I immediately broke down.
I have never witnessed anything like that and I was hoped I never would.
I feel guilty for some reason. Maybe I should’ve stopped. Maybe I should’ve done something. As much as I’d hate to say this but I hope death came quick, so it didn’t suffer for long. I wish I could just un-see that. & that the cat would have never ran across the street. It tried to cross the street.. and it didn’t make it. It fricken tried to run to safety across the street but they ran it over!!! It could have made it… it could have 😢
I wonder if the driver knew he/she hit it. Or if he/she even cared. It all happened so fast. I know if it was me I would have felt so distraught. I don’t think I’d ever forgive myself.
I hope I never get to see something like that again. I hope not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry, that’s horrible. I don’t think there’s anything you could have done - not that knowing that eases the distress.
Every time I’d see a dead animal, it would always break my heart. But now that I actually witnessed, it’s a whole other level. I don’t even know how I made it home. My mind sort of went in to shock, and it wasn’t until I got home when I actually broke down and cried. This also makes me glad that my cats are strictly indoors. I would rather come home and find my trash can tipped over than coming home to find my cat missing or to actually find them deceased. 😢
I will never know if that cat belonged to somebody. But if it did, his/her human will be heartbroken when they realize it didn’t come home. 😢

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
The image of it still moving after being hit haunts me.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have only once seen a cat that had been run over. It was nearly fifty years ago and I remember it all too clearly. Seeing it happen would be infinitely worse. One can only hope the twitches you saw were spasms after death and the poor cat knew nothing by then, that it was too quick.

Seconding on keeping cats indoors.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have only once seen a cat that had been run over. It was nearly fifty years ago and I remember it all too clearly. Seeing it happen would be infinitely worse. One can only hope the twitches you saw were spasms after death and the poor cat knew nothing by then, that it was too quick.

Seconding on keeping cats indoors.
I hope so too. I hope it didn’t even see the car coming. I take that same road every day to go to and from work. In order for me to catch the street I need I must go down that road because it’s the only one that leads to it. So now I’m really not looking forward to driving by there tomorrow. I hope it’s not there.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have noticed an increase of all animal traffic deaths. Since cell phones, the attention of the driver is lacking. I'm also beginning to wonder if some of them get some sick satisfaction. You got to wonder when the animal is in the middle of the turning lane.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I have noticed an increase of all animal traffic deaths. Since cell phones, the attention of the driver is lacking. I'm also beginning to wonder if some of them get some sick satisfaction. You got to wonder when the animal is in the middle of the turning lane.
I am not sure if the driver that hit the cat noticed. I was at a great distance when I saw it happen. It looks like it must have darted out from under some parked cars, and a car coming from the opposite direction hit it at the center divider. The view may have been blocked by other cars, so I don’t know if it would have given the driver enough time to brake. Now, If this person meant to hurt it then I wish nothing but bad karma for them. That little cat deserved better.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Was the road busy in both directions? The driver might not have been able to safely stop or slow if so, even if they saw the poor cat.
It was busier on my direction. My assumption is since there were cars ahead of me, the view may have be blocked. I think from drivers point of view, the cat must’ve “come out of nowhere” from behind the oncoming cars on the opposite side, if that makes sense?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was decades ago. One dark evening I went to get the newspaper out of our street side mailbox. My 72 pound lab weimaraner cross dog came with me. Went to sniff something across the street. I called her back so we could go back to the house. And a car came racing down the street and hit her. Never stopped. We lived on a loop street, there was no other traffic, the car was heading in so I'm positive it was a neighbor. Never stopped. Sheba was 72 pounds. They had to know they hit her. I can understand not seeing a black dog at night but they had to know they hit her. Never stopped. She died. No marks on her body.

I asked our vet. He said it would have been very quick, there would have been a moment of pain but then she would be dead.

Obviously this left a lasting impression on me.

Seeing this happen was dreadful for you lallorona lallorona But I'm sure that for the poor cat it was all over before it even realized what was happening.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
This was decades ago. One dark evening I went to get the newspaper out of our street side mailbox. My 72 pound lab weimaraner cross dog came with me. Went to sniff something across the street. I called her back so we could go back to the house. And a car came racing down the street and hit her. Never stopped. We lived on a loop street, there was no other traffic, the car was heading in so I'm positive it was a neighbor. Never stopped. Sheba was 72 pounds. They had to know they hit her. I can understand not seeing a black dog at night but they had to know they hit her. Never stopped. She died. No marks on her body.

I asked our vet. He said it would have been very quick, there would have been a moment of pain but then she would be dead.

Obviously this left a lasting impression on me.

Seeing this happen was dreadful for you lallorona lallorona But I'm sure that for the poor cat it was all over before it even realized what was happening.
That’s horrible. It was bad enough seeing a random cat get run over. I can’t imagine my own pet. I’m so sorry you had to go through that.
In a situation like that, one can only hope death came quickly. I can’t believe I’m even thinking this way. But i hope this cat died instantly and didn’t feel any form of pain. I can’t seem to shake off that image of it. It haunts me.The way it was running one moment, and the next it was on the ground, dying. The street is pretty big, and usually traffic picks up in the afternoon. I have seen dead animals on that same street before but never actually witness it happen. That’s the worse part. 😔 I’ve been pretty sad throughout today. My cat, Aslan, probably senses it too. After I had my little cry session I laid in bed, and he came up to me and started rubbing his head on mine. Like he doesn’t know why I’m upset, but all he knows is that I am. If only he knew I just seen one of his kind get killed. 😞

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I was driving in heavy traffic in the center lane, 3 other lanes in the other direction,going about 30mph. From in front of the car to the left of me a big dog appeared which I hit with my left front fender, it just kept on going, don't know what happened to it. I felt bad about hitting the dog but what could I do? Every time I go down that street I think of that dog and what happened to it. Cats and dogs should not be allowed to run free, dogs in the yard or on a leash, cats kept inside. Period.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was busier on my direction. My assumption is since there were cars ahead of me, the view may have be blocked. I think from drivers point of view, the cat must’ve “come out of nowhere” from behind the oncoming cars on the opposite side, if that makes sense?
Yes, it does make sense. A cat dashed across the road during one of my driving lessons - no harm, thank goodness! - and I didn’t see it until it was on the road. And that was on a quiet street.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was driving in heavy traffic in the center lane, 3 other lanes in the other direction,going about 30mph. From in front of the car to the left of me a big dog appeared which I hit with my left front fender, it just kept on going, don't know what happened to it. I felt bad about hitting the dog but what could I do? Every time I go down that street I think of that dog and what happened to it. Cats and dogs should not be allowed to run free, dogs in the yard or on a leash, cats kept inside. Period.
Absolutely agree.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s horrible. It was bad enough seeing a random cat get run over. I can’t imagine my own pet. I’m so sorry you had to go through that.
In a situation like that, one can only hope death came quickly. I can’t believe I’m even thinking this way. But i hope this cat died instantly and didn’t feel any form of pain. I can’t seem to shake off that image of it. It haunts me.The way it was running one moment, and the next it was on the ground, dying. The street is pretty big, and usually traffic picks up in the afternoon. I have seen dead animals on that same street before but never actually witness it happen. That’s the worse part. 😔 I’ve been pretty sad throughout today. My cat, Aslan, probably senses it too. After I had my little cry session I laid in bed, and he came up to me and started rubbing his head on mine. Like he doesn’t know why I’m upset, but all he knows is that I am. If only he knew I just seen one of his kind get killed. 😞
Give it time. The images will fade eventually. You’ll remember, but they won’t always be playing on loop in your mind.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I drove down that way. It’s still there. 😔😢
I got a sunken feeling in my gut when was approaching that road. I could still see the little orange fur ball from a distance. I hoped it was just a sweater but it wasn’t. Whatever pain or fear it must have felt during those final moments, I’m glad it is finally over for him. I just hated the fact that it still there. Unaccounted for and alone.. I couldn’t help but cry when it reminded me.
I am going to try and see if I can contact the city so that they can pick up his body. Maybe it’s the least I could do for him. I’m not sure if they do this but I hope they can scan it to see if it’s microchipped, so that its owners can be notified.

Last edited:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Coming home one night in rural Pennsylvania, a black cat darted from a hedge into the front tire of my car. Poor thing was still alive but it’s skull. I hated to do it, but I had to put it out of its misery.

If you’re gonna be mad at anyone, be mad at who let their cat out unsupervised.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Coming home one night in rural Pennsylvania, a black cat darted from a hedge into the front tire of my car. Poor thing was still alive but it’s skull. I hated to do it, but I had to put it out of its misery.

If you’re gonna be mad at anyone, be mad at who let their cat out unsupervised.
I wish there were some type of animal emergency services, kind of like 9/11, but for animals. In my area if you need to report an injured/ dead/loose/sick animal you have to call the city but they will put you on hold FOREVER OR you can submit a request online. I had to call up animal control once to pick up a deceased animal that was in front of our yard. They never showed up, so my dad had to dispose of the animal himself. A few days later the animal control officer finally decided to show up, but my dad has already taken care of it. If they had such service available here I would have immediately called. Thing like these make me glad I have my pets indoors. I know animals get hit all the time but the thing is it shouldn’t be happening, especially when they can prevent these tragic incidents by keeping them indoors. I can’t stress enough when I tell my peers that indoors is safer. They can still
Live happy lives if they provide them with the right necessities. Oh, and spaying/neutering.