I hit my cat. I feel terrible about it.

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I’m 16 and about four or more months ago, I hit my cat. It started off one day when he attacked me, the thing is, it’s when we were playing and he scratched me. I got angry and yelled at him and gave him a slap on the side. It wouldn’t happen daily but there were moments where I would also grab him by the scruff and put him to the ground and yell at him. I feel so disgusted and guilty, because even though this happened awhile ago. It’s just sickening to have to know that I did that to my own cat. I will not and haven’t done it again, but I don’t know if I should move on or get a therapist?

i have depression and recently got pills for it, but the times where I did hit him. I instantly felt guilty and would apologize and at times I’d cry because I knew what I did was wrong. I don’t want to grow up and think that I’m a Psycho path but I just feel so bad for hitting him.

other times I would hit him, and then repeat the same thing. My anger got the best of me, and I hate that. But, it hasn’t happened. I don’t think I deserve anything good to happen to me because of what I did. I know what if feels like to be hit and not know why but I did the same thing to him and it makes me so mad at myself. What should I do? He doesn’t avoid me or anything but I just want to know how to move on from this.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to a school counselor, a priest, a teacher you trust and respect, a family friend?

You need help with this issue. You say you have done it a few times. I think it may be likely it will happen again if you dont get help.

You need to find out WHY you are getting angry and physical. If you dont address this situation, it may get more violent and more frequent. You cat still trusts you....dont hurt it again.....talk to someone and get help......before you do something really terrible that you cant came back from.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Purr-fect Purr-fect - if you are doing things you regret and are ashamed about, talking to someone will definitely help.

For what it’s worth, you do not sound like a “psycho” - obviously we don’t know you, but you recognize harmful behavior and show remorse, concern, empathy, and a desire to change. This shows that whatever the reason for taking the actions you did, it was likely not malice. I agree that you need to seek help with why you get too angry so that this won’t happen again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have access to a school counselor, a priest, a teacher you trust and respect, a family friend?

You need help with this issue. You say you have done it a few times. I think it may be likely it will happen again if you dont get help.

You need to find out WHY you are getting angry and physical. If you dont address this situation, it may get more violent and more frequent. You cat still trusts you....dont hurt it again.....talk to someone and get help......before you do something really terrible that you cant came back from.
Thank you for replying to this post, I definitely agree. I need to get the help so my cat will be safe. I am on pills at the moment that have helped me, but I know I need something more and I’m on the verge of tears because of what I’ve done. What I did was no excuse for what I did to my cat, and I will do what I need to do to get better. Thank you.

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you for your reply to my post, I definitely agree with what you have said. No animal deserves to be hurt, and no animal deserves to be abused. I am sick to my stomach knowing what I had done, and I need to change. I needed someone to tell me this and I thank you for it. What I did was awful, and I will go to a therapist for the safety of my cat and others. He deserves the best, and that’s first starting with taking care of me and then him. Once again, thank you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that you know what it’s like to be hit and not understand why. Sadly, things like that are things we tend to pass on. I’m so sorry you experienced that but very glad that you are able to recognize that it’s a bad thing to pass on. As children, we love unconditionally and do does your kitty. You haven’t caused a physical injury and that’s a good thing. You can move on from this with some help. With therapy you can understand why the anger boiled up and erupted the way it did so that you can learn to alter the way you handle pain and anger. I applaud you for wanting to stop hitting and just give your kitty the love it deserves. Depression is a difficult thing. It takes time to work through these things. If you start to feel like things are boiling up inside you, be sure to find someone to talk to that can guide you through it. Lots of people do care and will want to help you. If you find yourself about to strike out, focus on hitting something that can’t get hurt. Someone close to me was given a pillow that he thought was very ugly. He was told to hit that pillow until he managed to work through his pain. I don’t know if that would work for you right now but if it keeps you from striking out or feeling guilty, it might help you until you work through this and the medicine helps. Go ahead and reach out to someone who can make you start feeling better. Sending happier vibes and healing wishes your way. :vibes::sunshine:

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You mentioned that you know what it’s like to be hit and not understand why. Sadly, things like that are things we tend to pass on. I’m so sorry you experienced that but very glad that you are able to recognize that it’s a bad thing to pass on. As children, we love unconditionally and do does your kitty. You haven’t caused a physical injury and that’s a good thing. You can move on from this with some help. With therapy you can understand why the anger boiled up and erupted the way it did so that you can learn to alter the way you handle pain and anger. I applaud you for wanting to stop hitting and just give your kitty the love it deserves. Depression is a difficult thing. It takes time to work through these things. If you start to feel like things are boiling up inside you, be sure to find someone to talk to that can guide you through it. Lots of people do care and will want to help you. If you find yourself about to strike out, focus on hitting something that can’t get hurt. Someone close to me was given a pillow that he thought was very ugly. He was told to hit that pillow until he managed to work through his pain. I don’t know if that would work for you right now but if it keeps you from striking out or feeling guilty, it might help you until you work through this and the medicine helps. Go ahead and reach out to someone who can make you start feeling better. Sending happier vibes and healing wishes your way. :vibes::sunshine:
Thank you for your reply to this post. I really appreciate your understanding about this, but I don’t want to make an excuse for myself. I know it’ll take a long time for me to forgive myself because I don’t want to be that person that hurts their pet and I thank you for sending me healing wishes.

sense I had only hurt my cat long ago, I have learned to cope. I’ve just started crying and closing my door, keeping him out. Other times I breathe or just get him out of my field of view. I’m scared if I’m a psycho path or something and I know that I’ll go to hell for what I did. But, I deserve it.

I wasn’t abused when I was younger, but my step father wasn’t someone that was a good person. He’d hit me, but sometimes he had a good reason and other times he’d yell at me and I get yelled at a lot. Though again, not excuses and yes, I understand that it’s easy to pass on but it’s not a good thing.

thank you for being easy on me, I also appreciate the advice, seriously you have helped me like the others on here have to.

depression is really scary for me. But, I need to control myself. I do. I can’t be this person anymore. I just can’t. Again. Thank you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand and putting no excuses out is admirable. The thing is that you have empathy. From my understanding, a “psychopath” would not. Depression is something that can leave a person sad, angry, feeling paralyzed, exhausted, feeling unworthy and so many other things. As someone who grew up in a religious family, I can tell you that in most religions, making a mistake that you work to correct and not repeat means you don’t go to hell. If you believe in hell and God, you seek forgiveness, do not continue the behavior you regret and look towards doing good things with your future. Look forwards with hope. You didn’t commit murder. I’m not excusing what you did either. I’m just saying that if you sink into a pit of despair and guilt, you won’t be able to move forward and give yourself and the kitty a happy life. You both need and deserve a happy life. Here’s a tip. Helping others can help you. Any little thing that you see to give someone else a small smile or a little assistance can make you start to feel better. Even if you just offer someone a smile it can make a bad day better for them. I hope things improve for you very soon. Keep on putting kitty into safe places whenever you feel the need. You’ll be in my thoughts so let us know how things are going.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, it's gonna be okay :redheartpump: I used to struggle a lot with management and had a similar issue in days past-
I never physically hurt any of my pets, but I've grown angry and gripped their scruff too forcefully, and I have hit a cat before for scratching me (not even that hard, but I felt angry doing so and was surprised by the scratch). In days past I really wasn't a good pet owner at all.
I know guilt can be overwhelming, because it was for me. If there's someone you can talk to, please do so.
And know that you CAN get through this! I did.
It's important to do everything you can to help this issue. For your sake and for kitty's. For me talking helped, and learning to process through my words rather than my actions.
I still work every day to forgive myself for it, and I'm doing much better. I'm sorry about your step father :redheartpump:
You are no psychopath, nor are you an awful person. It is serious, yes, and it's something to work through, which you've already realized. Realization is step 1 of change. You've got this :heartshape:
Putting kitty in safe places when you need to is much needing to ensure you are both safe!

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, it's gonna be okay :redheartpump: I used to struggle a lot with management and had a similar issue in days past-
I never physically hurt any of my pets, but I've grown angry and gripped their scruff too forcefully, and I have hit a cat before for scratching me (not even that hard, but I felt angry doing so and was surprised by the scratch). In days past I really wasn't a good pet owner at all.
I know guilt can be overwhelming, because it was for me. If there's someone you can talk to, please do so.
And know that you CAN get through this! I did.
It's important to do everything you can to help this issue. For your sake and for kitty's. For me talking helped, and learning to process through my words rather than my actions.
I still work every day to forgive myself for it, and I'm doing much better. I'm sorry about your step father :redheartpump:
You are no psychopath, nor are you an awful person. It is serious, yes, and it's something to work through, which you've already realized. Realization is step 1 of change. You've got this :heartshape:
Putting kitty in safe places when you need to is much needing to ensure you are both safe!
Thank you for your reply to this post. It means a lot that you have replied to this because you have been through it and it means a lot that others have replied to this post as well.

I understand that what I did was serious because it was and I’m glad I’m deciding to get help. Thank you for the support, I just don’t like making excuses because I definitely could’ve avoided the situation I was in. I hurt my cat, and that’s something I can’t forgive myself for because I’d know the feeling of getting hit and not knowing why and I do understand it. Though, again, not an excuse.

thank you for giving me hope. I will make sure he gets the safety he deserves. I feel a bit better now knowing that I can get through this but every time I look at him, I feel like I am capable of something lot more awful and it makes me feel so terrible. So, that’s why I’m deciding to. I’m telling my mother that I need a therapist or go to a sort of thing to help me with my anger. Again, thank you.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply to this post. It means a lot that you have replied to this because you have been through it and it means a lot that others have replied to this post as well.

I understand that what I did was serious because it was and I’m glad I’m deciding to get help. Thank you for the support, I just don’t like making excuses because I definitely could’ve avoided the situation I was in. I hurt my cat, and that’s something I can’t forgive myself for because I’d know the feeling of getting hit and not knowing why and I do understand it. Though, again, not an excuse.

thank you for giving me hope. I will make sure he gets the safety he deserves. I feel a bit better now knowing that I can get through this but every time I look at him, I feel like I am capable of something lot more awful and it makes me feel so terrible. So, that’s why I’m deciding to. I’m telling my mother that I need a therapist or go to a sort of thing to help me with my anger. Again, thank you.
You've taken the first step, you've owned up to your mistakes and you're moving forward. You can do this!! I'll be here if you ever need me, just send over a message.
We, as humans, are created capable of the greatest love, the greatest fury, and the greatest passion. This is both our downfall and our beauty. Learning to choose love is a process and you are not a lost cause :redheartpump: Keep taking steps and ensuring that you and kitty are safe.
Forgiving yourself is an important choice too, even if you don't feel like it. I had to work very hard to make that choice, but I felt so much freedom to love and grow once I did.

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've taken the first step, you've owned up to your mistakes and you're moving forward. You can do this!! I'll be here if you ever need me, just send over a message.
We, as humans, are created capable of the greatest love, the greatest fury, and the greatest passion. This is both our downfall and our beauty. Learning to choose love is a process and you are not a lost cause :redheartpump: Keep taking steps and ensuring that you and kitty are safe.
Forgiving yourself is an important choice too, even if you don't feel like it. I had to work very hard to make that choice, but I felt so much freedom to love and grow once I did.
Thank you. So much. Once again, thank you. I don’t think I’d be able to move past this without a lot of everyone’s advice. I’ll try my best, I’ll do what is it right.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Depression is a nasty thing. I, for one, have been dealing with depression and anger issues for many years, but whenever I feel that my anger or extreme sadness boils up, I leave the house for a while, or lock myself in my room. There I would cry for an hour or more - until the pain subsides.

Our cat/s (or any pet) trust us, and will continue to trust us with no judgement whatsoever no matter how we treat them. So try not to punish yourself more by regretting any actions you do to your cat. As others said, it is good that you recognize that hurting your cat is wrong. The next step is therapy. Please seek help as soon as you can, before it could escalate and will end up with you regretting more.

My suggestion for now is each time you feel you get upset over something and would want to lash out - leave. Go to your porch, to your backyard, to your room, or wherever that is far from your cat or anyone whom you may vent your anger to.

You are still young. When I was at your age I was already experiencing depression, but I fought hard to get the quality of life that I deserve. You, too, can rise from all these. You are not alone. We are here for you. If you need someone to talk to - we are here for you.

You can also write poems, paint, learn piano or guitar or something, photography - anything that will help you express your emotions.

Hang in there.

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depression is a nasty thing. I, for one, have been dealing with depression and anger issues for many years, but whenever I feel that my anger or extreme sadness boils up, I leave the house for a while, or lock myself in my room. There I would cry for an hour or more - until the pain subsides.

Our cat/s (or any pet) trust us, and will continue to trust us with no judgement whatsoever no matter how we treat them. So try not to punish yourself more by regretting any actions you do to your cat. As others said, it is good that you recognize that hurting your cat is wrong. The next step is therapy. Please seek help as soon as you can, before it could escalate and will end up with you regretting more.

My suggestion for now is each time you feel you get upset over something and would want to lash out - leave. Go to your porch, to your backyard, to your room, or wherever that is far from your cat or anyone whom you may vent your anger to.

You are still young. When I was at your age I was already experiencing depression, but I fought hard to get the quality of life that I deserve. You, too, can rise from all these. You are not alone. We are here for you. If you need someone to talk to - we are here for you.

You can also write poems, paint, learn piano or guitar or something, photography - anything that will help you express your emotions.

Hang in there.
Thank you for a reply to this post. I’ve decided to try new things, like leaving and taking a bike ride when I get mad or even just taking a small walk. Whenever I ride the bus home, I listen to music and when I get home. If I get angry, I’ll just do the same thing. Depression truly is a terrible thing, and I wish I could change time and undo things I had done.

thank you for giving me advice and I will seek therapy, I’m not going to let this take a big toll on me but I can’t push away my regret and guilt. I just can’t, I hate being a person that hits their animal. It’s like how a drunk parent hits their child, it isn’t okay and I hate how I was like that.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
but I can’t push away my regret and guilt
Do not dwell on these negative feelings. If you do you won't be able to move on. Learn to forgive yourself so whatever it is you are dealing with right now, you can also learn to forgive others.

Once you forgive yourself, it gets better.
Sending you all my hugs. :vibes::redheartpump:

Roxyrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not dwell on these negative feelings. If you do you won't be able to move on. Learn to forgive yourself so whatever it is you are dealing with right now, you can also learn to forgive others.

Once you forgive yourself, it gets better.
Sending you all my hugs. :vibes::redheartpump:
Okay. I will be sure to try and forgive myself. Yank you. Seriously, Thank you and everyone else. It truly means a lot.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say that you are on pills. If you tell your doctor about your feelings, they can probably get you help.

In the meantime, if you feel anger and think you might hurt your cat, remember the shame you are feeling about hitting your cat and simply walk away. Go for a walk, go for a bike ride...just get away.....and then come back when you have calmed down and give your cat a hug. You will feel great, you will feel proud of yourself and your cat will love you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good that you realized your mistake and want to change. Just remind yourself to never hit anything living, human or animal. I was hit as a child and it only harms, regardless of what some people think. So good job for wanting to change and breaking the cycle. Keep working on it. :hugs: