I have to take this matter into my own hands. . . please advise

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't believe in feral cats, never have, never will.  These cats are mankind's creation and they were never intended to roam wild and fend for themselves.  When there's a dog on the loose, it's always a big deal and there's much attention brought forward to rescue the poor dog, I wish we lived in a world where the same could be said for cats.  No one deserves to live on the streets or in the wild.  Yes, we have humans living on the streets as well, but the ones who do not want to be there find a home.  It is my belief that the vast majority of humans who live in the streets are there by choice.  Cats and Dogs do not have the luxury of making the choice, we created them, the choice is ours to make and I say neither cat nor dog belong in the wild.

heh, ok, sorry about the rant. . . it just gets my dander up!
I could not agree with you more.
Me too!!! Well said, KateFriday!! My heart breaks over and over and over for the feral cats. In my perfect world we would be able to help each and every one of them. In my dreams. :9: It all comes back to irresponsible cat owners and that will never change - they will always be. I am just glad that we have people that are willing to try to help the feral cats. We just need more - so MANY more. Thanks for your post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Feralvr. We have a few teams of people here that go out and feed the feral cats and have made shelters for them.  I wish I could do more, but after having two brain tumours removed, I gave up driving because I noticed that I was too hesitant behind the wheel and that's not a good thing.  So, me living out of the city limits puts the kybosh on that, unless people want to come pick me up, as Joe works during the week and many weekends.  Also, I was born and raised in Ottawa Ontario, and moved to Brantford 2 years ago, so I don't know many people.  My best friend lives here, I call her my sister. .  she fosters twice a year, usually a mama and kittens, and she has 8 cats of her own, plus she works full time and has just become a grandma, so her time is very limited,... I try to raise awareness, it's all I can do for now and pick up a stray when I see them. . .and this is my first, but I will not surrender her, she's MINE! I tell ya, all mine! lol

I'm looking for one of these for my sister this Christmas. . . too funny

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hahahaha.  Love it. 

If you are serious, Amazon has it:  
If you order today, even with free shipping you should get it Wednesday or Thursday.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be a good idea to keep Ms.Cockshutt separate from Dali post spay for a few days because Ms. Cockshutt will smell different--like the vet's office. Wait until the smell goes away-in a day or two or three.
Love to read your updates.

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, 

Rubysmama, thanks for the shopping tip!

Ritz, thanks for the info.  I won't be introducing them until she is well healed, which will be longer than a few days.  Plus, I will wait until the adoption papers are signed because she is the property of the SPCA and if she sustains any injuries by Tabi, I will be held liable.

At the moment, I have another rescue situation at hand. . . Now I'm dealing with a stray dog issue. A couple folks have told me they've seen a dog in my lane, they said he's/she's totally emaciated. I found tracks, but I haven't seen him/her yet.  As soon as I catch sight of him/her, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will catch him/her and quarantine him/her in the Florida room with blankets and food and water until the SPCA get here. The Florida room isn't heated, but I have winter boards on the screens and I will put a good heater in there for him/her while we wait for the SPCA.  I've been out whistling so much I think I have a permanent pucker heh Good God why are people so (bad-word-goes-here) heartless!

P.S.  Miss Cockshutt has been giving me cat kisses. . . she puts her face to mine and touches her nose to mine. . . what a li'l darling!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Kate! It does seem to be like that - almost the minute one stray is taken care of, another shows up. Fingers crossed you find this poor creature and he or she is soon safe!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rubysmama, thanks for the shopping tip!
You're very welcome.  Amazon has become my go-to place when I want to buy something I can't find in local stores.

I've been following your progress with Miss Cockshutt and seems everything is going really well. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
P.S.  Miss Cockshutt has been giving me cat kisses. . . she puts her face to mine and touches her nose to mine. . . what a li'l darling!
How very sweet. :rub: :heart3: Love in the making. ;) :D AND - mega vibes for that poor little dog. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

p.s. I have this CRAZY CAT LADY figurine. Mine must the the older - more ugly model with the awful brown robe :flail:
View media item 244407

Last edited:

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.  Well, keeping an update going is the very least I can do as you have been here for me and have really helped me more than you realize.  My sister said I'm a natural at this but, I am still not very confident, especially with the pending introduction between Ms. Cockshutt and Ms. Tabi in about 3 weeks time.  You have been very encouraging and have kept me sane through this process thus far and for that I am indebted to you, and owe you a tremendous amount of thanks.

Feralvr I'm lol'n here. .  ya that may be an older version and you may think it's a more ugly model. . . but I can't help but think of Nicholas Cage in drag and wearing eye liner when I see either cat lady hahahahahahaah

Well, Tabi's playing in the barn, I'm off to spend an hour with Ms. Cockshutt.  Do you think it's enough that I spend an hour in the morning with Ms. Cockshutt and an hour in the evening?  Sometimes I sneak a visit in during the day and when Tabi is in the barn during my visits I have started to let Ms. Cockshutt have the choice of wandering outside the room. . . she's done so once, and come back to the room only moments later, , .I guess it's probably more attention than she got while living outside on her own but I worry about ample exercise for her.  Thanks again!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feralvr I'm lol'n here. .  ya that may be an older version and you may think it's a more ugly model. . . but I can't help but think of Nicholas Cage in drag and wearing eye liner when I see either cat lady hahahahahahaah

Well, Tabi's playing in the barn, I'm off to spend an hour with Ms. Cockshutt.  Do you think it's enough that I spend an hour in the morning with Ms. Cockshutt and an hour in the evening?  Sometimes I sneak a visit in during the day and when Tabi is in the barn during my visits I have started to let Ms. Cockshutt have the choice of wandering outside the room. . . she's done so once, and come back to the room only moments later, , .I guess it's probably more attention than she got while living outside on her own but I worry about ample exercise for her.  Thanks again!
:flail: OH I DO see the Nicolas Cage resemblance there!!!!! Now those Crazy Cat Lady dolls will always give me an even bigger laugh. :lol2:

Sure - an hour here and there is a perfectly acceptable amount of time that you are spending with Ms. Cockshutt. Soon enough - she will have lots more space and freedom. This confinement is always harder on US than it truly is on the cat. BUT - the more you let her roam out of her room, then the more she may demand it, carry on and whine about being let out. I usually just keep them in their room until we are all ready for more. Getting her spayed has to be the main priority right now. Hopefully soon too. :cross: Your doing great and I am sure Ms. Tabi is already getting used to the idea and accepting that another cat is "looming". :lol3: :nod: ;)

Last edited:

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hahahahahahah oh good! some one else can see the resemblance!  I'm not going nuts after all! hahahaha

Well, I'm afraid, Ms. Tabi just put the kybosh on her trips to the barn.   She slipped out of the barn door last night and left me looking for her in the dark. . . she climbed a tree beside the barn and took her time coming back to me.  I was outside for an hour in the cold, with tears streaming down my cheeks until they froze.  That's it!  Game over!  And believe you me, she KNOWS my nose is out of joint right now.  She meowed non-stop this morning for about an hour, but I had her on ignore!  I'm the boss!

Ms. Cockshutt is scheduled for her spay surgery on the 23rd, I will be bringing her in on the 22nd as per the SPCA's request.  I really freaking hate the idea of leaving her there over night.  I can only imagine how she will feel and what she will think of me then.  Hopefully she won't hold this against me for too long if at all, but again, I'm the boss   . . . I gawda keep telling myself this.

That poor dog hasn't shown up again to the best of my knowledge.  I am praying to God that he has been rescued.  I constantly look for him now, and with all this Christmas baking, I'm getting very tired, so I am giving up my walk abouts and whistling for him.  But my heart still aches, it always will.

Well, I'm off to spend my morning hour with Ms. Cockshutt.  Have a great day!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been one of the most interesting threads i have read so far.
You certainly are a remarkable lady.
I'm sure Ms. Cockshutt will not hold anything against you. She'll just be pleased to be home. How will she manage with the Victorian collar on? And will they see a scar telling.them that she's already been spayed?
I had two cats, obe went to rainbow bridge age 16 and the other last year age 20. I didn't think I'd get over that.
These Two Did Not Like Each Other - I Apologise For The Capitals. My phone needs fixing - but they Co-existed even sleeping on my bed at the same time at night. The two I have now even eat out of the same plate at night they love each other so much. One is an abandoned siamese and the other a black and white street cat. When the street cat, blighty, was a baby, whisky wouldn't stop washing him.
hopefully your two will get it together and become 'besties'.
Your Joe is definitely a keeper :-)

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Stewball, thank you so much for your kind words and your story that has given me a sense of encouragement and enlightenment.  The two you have now sound positively sweet!

It's very possible that they will shave Ms. Cockshutt's belly and find out she's been spayed, that's what I'm hoping for.  As for the collar, Ms. Tabi didn't have one when she was spayed and she came to me two days post surgery. . . so I am not sure if the SPCA give them out unless there's a problem.  I guess I will find out this Tuesday.  

I'm sorry to hear you lost your fur babies, and I truly don't think we ever really get over the pain, we just adapt.  I have a few dogs and cats waiting for me at rainbow bridge and that thought alone helps me pull through.

Well after 2 full days of Ms. Tabi being grounded with no barn time, she was not a happy girl, she was glum.  She started to go to Ms. Cockshutts door and howl at her and growl.  I do not want Ms. Cockshutt to be her whipping post.  With all that is happening, Joe and I have decided to keep Tabi's routine stable so Ms. Cockshutt doesn't get caught in the crossfire right now.  Joe said he will accompany me to the barn from now on when it's time to bring her in.  Yes, he's definitely a keeper, thank you, that's why I am planning our wedding for this coming June.

I've got Ms. Cockshutt eating in her carrier again, so it will be that much easier on Monday night  when I have to bring her in.  THIS was a Godsend of a tip indeed, thanks everyone!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure we're going to want to hear about the wedding as well as how the two Ms'a are. :-)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GOOD luck and try not to worry about her on the 23rd. She will be alright and just fine. :nod: :alright: AND - actually, she will be bonded to you more closely now once you go and RESCUE her the day after her spay to pick her up. She will be so happy to see you and even more so that you will be bringing her home to her safe place.

Glad the crate feeding idea is working for you. It is a great way to get a kitty into a carrier that is a bit tough to handle. Just don't use a lot of food on vet day - use something really yummy such as a few pieces of tuna in the back of the carrier to get her to go in and then calmly shut the door. She WILL forgive you and you will not be setting back your progress with her. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the 23rd.

Last edited:

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!  Well, Ms. Cockshutt wasn't cooperating when I wanted to get her in the carrier. . . so I slid it up to her and poofed her inside lol  She is at the SPCA over night now. . . they will do surgery tomorrow and I was told that I can pick her up any time after 3pm.  

I still hate the thought of having her there all night . . . I know, I know, I know. . . but it still doesn't make it feel better.  I will give you an update once she's back in her room here at home.  Thanks!

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YaY!  I'm a happy happy girl!  My Ms. Cockshutt is home and is a very happy girl too!  They shaved her belly to find a scar, she's already spayed!  They micro chipped her and gave her another dewormer, and another shot, and they clipped her claws.  They said she's 2 years old, and she's in great shape!  She is resting in her room now.  I will clip Ms. Tabi's claws tomorrow to avoid major blood shed when I remove the screen door on Christmas morning.  It's just Joe and I here, so doing this at Christmas is ok this year as we don't have a house full of people.  

I am soooooo thrilled!  Thank you all so much and I will update you asap!