I have to take this matter into my own hands. . . please advise

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Brant County, Ontario Canada.  I have been feeding a feral/stray since July and she has learned to trust me a bit.  She follows me, loves for me to pet and rub her head.  She's taken her nips and claws to my hands, but I know this is a trust issue.  I tried to crate her as per the SPCA's instruction to get her into the foster program, where I would have adopted her, but  the attempt at caging her proved disastrous,  just as I had suspected.  I didn't see her from that point at the end of July, until 3 weeks ago.  She showed up pregnant and hungry.  I have a lean to behind the garage, so I made her a thermal shelter and I feed her there twice a day and pet her and the nips and claws attack me less and less.

I have an indoor cat, I don't believe in outdoor cats.  I don't believe in the "TNR" program.  The SPCA tell me they will not handle this cat because of safety issues that the nips and claws may present to their employees.  CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?  They are the SPCA for goodness sake!  Wussies!  So, tonight I didn't feed Ms. Cockshutt.   I am setting a raccoon trap for her in the morning with a can of salmon.  I hope to catch her and place her in a designated, secure room in my house.  She is very clean, clear eyes, clear nose, clean bum, I can't find flea crusts in her flesh. .  she had recently let me touch the sides of her belly, but today she let me touch the underside.  I'm sure she has worms, after eating mice, etc., . . .the scratches and nips I've received have not become itchy or inflamed ever.  So, my goal is this. . . to confine her to this "rescue room", exclusively dedicated for her and her eventual kittens. . . to calm her and socialize her enough so that a vet will pay attention to her so that I can get her vaccinated and spayed after her kittens are weaned.  But I have a house cat already. . . if Ms. Cockshutt is confined to a room, is my Ms. Tabi a high risk?

There's gawda be a way to out doooooooo the SPCA!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your resident cat will not be at risk unless they meet one another, so confining her to her own room is an excellent idea and one we recommend here.  If she has everything she needs, she should be fine after an adjustment period.

I would just be careful about handling the resident cat after handling her in any way.  Wash your hands, maybe cover your shoes with paper socks in the new cat's room and leave the paper socks in there when you leave - simple precautions like that.

I am not sure if she can be de-wormed while pregnant but talk to your vet.  He or she can also advise you of the signs of rabies, just in case.  I suspect that is what the SPCA was afraid of - having been loose outside all this time, there's a slim chance she got it.  You will be able to tell quite quickly, so I would not worry too much about it.  Just familiarize yourself with the symptoms.  It is spread through bites, so do be careful until you get the all-clear.  A tetanus shot for you wouldn't hurt.

Thank you so much for taking on this challenge.  You are her godsend!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response Odine.  I have had several nips and scratches since I met Ms. Cockshutt and crawled on my belly for 6 days to gain her trust enough for her to let me touch her, that was back in July.  My little wounds have had no infection or itchiness.  I had a tetnus shot in 2012 so I should be good.  I wash my hands all the time and have sprayed my boots with disinfectant/flea remedy before I've come in, I leave my boots outside.  The SPCA told me that they would deworm her themselves if she went through their program, and they know she's very pregnant.  I have set the trap at her shelter where I feed her, I saw her this morning and I know she's been in the lean to, but it looks a little different with the trap in there.  The trap is covered with a drop cloth and I have a can of salmon inside.  I put paper shaving on the floor of the trap where there's a plate of steal where she steps over to set the trap in motion, hoping that she doesn't feel the steel under her paws. . . .she came back out of the lean to. . . I walked into the house.  I didn't feed her last night, it broke my heart to do that, but I need her to be good and hungry.  I have had my hands all over her. . .I've been touching the sides of her belly. . . and yesterday I passed my hand along the underside of her belly twice. . . the third time proved to be too much and I got clawed.  But I don't care how much she claws and nips me, I know she's only doing so because she's scared.

I don't know if anyone here believes in a higher power, but I believe in God.  I am a non-de-nominal Christian.  It says in my bible that God tells us to be kind to all animals and that's what I've done all of my life.  This feral/stray cat problem is/has become an epidemic.  It's a man made problem and I don't think it can be helped at all unless we ALL stop turning a blind eye, whether we are responsible or not.  I truly love Ms. Cockshutt and have cried every day since meeting her.  If anyone here prays, please put one in for Ms. Cockshutt and I.  I need God's help to catch her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for both of you, it sounds like you have your hands full. I pray you will catch her and everything will turn out OK. I, too, have been bit deeply when catching feral kittens, even through gloves, and worried for the next few months about rabies! I found that welders gloves work the best. Surely you will be blessed for what you are doing, most people would have not helped her at all after being bit. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not giving up on her. Please keep us posted!

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ms. Cockshutt has been trapped!  She has been released into her own room that is especially decorated and furnished for her use.  She did not bounce off the walls and try to kill me.  She came out of the trap and came to me for lovin', and then she ate and now she's having a nap. .  I am just out to remove the trap and have a smoke break and then I'm going back in . .  my lovely husband to be has made her a scratching post and suggested that I play some elevator music for her at a low volume.  I AM SO THRILLED!

Thank you so so much for your prayers.  God Bless you Di and Bob.

I will keep you all posted on everything as it unfolds 

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Catwoman 707.  I promise to bring updates to the thread,  Right now, Ms, Tabi is still sleeping and has no idea that Ms, Cockshutt is in the house,  She's not going to like it, but in time, when the kittens have come and gone and Ms. Cockshutt is medically ok'd, they will be able to meet.  Ms. Tabi has only seen me pet and feed Ms. Cockshutt while perched in a corner in the Florida room and she's been very vocal with her disapproval.  Guess that's where the saying was coined, "jealous like a cat" hahah.  But I have no doubt that they will eventually fall in when the time comes.  Thanks again for your words of support.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Super. I too will be watching for updates. Based on her behavior, I think she was at one time owned, so she may become adoptable sooner rather than later.

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ritz.  She will be adoptable, only to me heh 

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Later, I went up to bring her supper and check on her,  and got a repeat performance.  When she went to lay down, I took out my sketch pad and started to sketch, I want her to get used to seeing me do other things.  Ms. Tabi, my house cat figured out that Ms. Cockshutt was in my studio room (which no longer looks like a studio, and all my stuff is put away)  There was some himmin' and hawin' at the door, but not too much and only by Ms. Tabi.  I have installed a latch lock on the door because I know they will jump at door knobs too.  

At the moment, Ms. Tabi has had her same routine as she likes every day, she had breakfast, sat on her perch in the florida room and she has been taken to the barn to have some time in her play ground.  She only goes to the barn when she wants to.  I just have to ask her using the word barn and jiggle keys and touch the doorknob and she will come for me to pick up.  So I went to see Ms.Cockshutt to see how she is and feed her.  She was hungry for lovin' and couldn't get enough.  She had used her litter box and enjoyed her breakfast.  She gave no nips or claws today and rolled over and I stroked her belly.   I will be making some calls on Monday with regard to her Medical appointments.

Ms. Tabi is napping now, so I will bid you good day and go visit with Ms Cockshutt.  BTW I have a pair of slippers that I wear in Ms. Cockshutt's room and that's where they stay, right at the door on the inside of the room.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, this little kitty really lucked out with you.  Once she is medically cleared, you can slowly introduce her to Ms. Tabi.  If they get to know one another slowly, there will be less adjustment issues.  Lots of info on intros on the site.  Just plug in "introducing cats" in the search space above and you will have at least an afternoon's worth of reading!

Your home sounds like kitty paradise!

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words Ondine.  And thanks for the heads up on intro info, I'll be sure to check that out!

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no intention of introducing Ms. Tabi and Ms. Cockshutt for quite some time.  But at 3 am this morning Ms. Tabi was obviously annoyed, to say the least.. . . now I must line the bottom of the door with some bricks. Tabi is at the door with her paw under it, hissing and growling and doing some gnarly moaning and terrorizing poor Ms. Cockshutt. This just started at 3 a.m. . . . I am waiting for first light to go out to the lean to to get the bricks. I think their introduction will be a very long process, when that time comes.  Nothing has changed in Ms.Tabi's life, by way of attention, play, food, affection, games. . . she's even still having her treat hunts.  I am making doubly sure that she isn't out anything by taking in Ms. Cockshutt.  But I cannot have her terrorizing Ms. Cockshutt.  

Ms. Cockshutt is not coming to the other side of the door.  She doesn't want to fight, thankfully, because they are to have no contact until Ms. Cockshutt is medically approved.  I'm sure being pregnant Ms. Cockshutt would avoid fighting unless she was cornered into it, so to speak.  But she must be frightened.  As soon as Ms. Tabi is out playing in the barn, I will try to soothe Ms. Cockshutt.  

I've had cats before in my life. . . and dogs.  But I've never been through this situation.  I feel stupid. . .  like when I was a new mom.

Last edited:

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a big soft heart.  When I was a child I spent many hours in the forest and bush alone.  Watching the animals and birds.  When I would find a dead animal, reptile or bird, I would take it to a particular spot and bury it, say the Lord's Prayer and put a marker on the grave.  I had a pet cemetery long before Stephen King wrote the book heheh.  Right now I feel like an emotional basket case.  I pray I am doing the right thing by both kitties. 

I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't found this site and you people.  I am so thankful to read the stories that are posted.  I am so thankful for all your help and support.  You are all a Godsend.  From the bottom of my heart I thank you.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had cats before in my life. . . and dogs.  But I've never been through this situation.  I feel stupid. . .  like when I was a new mom.
Ah, yes, the uncertainty of a new baby!  I both loved and hated it.  But recognizing that both cats will soon get used to the new system always helps.  Ms. Tabi sounds more like she's just aware of the "new" on the other side of that door and she is going to find out all about it!

I wouldn't worry too much - enjoy the process if you can.

I, too, grew up out in the country and spent more time alone than with people.  I am convinced that's why I like animals better now!

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reassurance Odine, it helps me more than you know.  While Tabi was out in the barn, I went in to see Ms. Cockshutt.  She seems purrrrrfectly comfortable.  The more I'm with her, the louder her purr seems to get.  I usually get down on the floor with her and she snuggles up to me and I pet, stroke and scratch her and she falls asleep for awhile, just listening to me talk to her (I'm a big talker with cats and dogs) and listening to classical music in the background.  I eventually left her room, and fetched the bricks and put them in place at the bottom of the door.  Tabi can no longer terrorize her with her paws and Tabi is protected.  Tabi is now inspecting my handy work with the bricks, the house is quiet.  I NEED coffee and a smoke (yes, I smoke and I don't think I'll quit cuz I heard aliens don't like smoked meat hahahahahahah - I wrote that one myself and had the doctor in stitches hahahahahah)

Again, I thank you.  Doubting one's self is such a struggle in itself.

Last edited:

katefriday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Big day tomorrow. . . I must get Ms. Cockshutt into a carrier, and she has an open appointment at the vets, as it is kind of hard to set a time because she is all new to the carrier thing.  I hope all this works out.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Good luck tomorrow! I hope it all goes well at the vets! :cross: