I have to take Jake to the vet.....because of Reilly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

I am just now catching up to this. Wow-a cat allergic to dogs? I have never heard such a thing. Can you get a second opnion?! I hope that you find her a good home and can go see her when you want to. And thats great that shes gettin spayed tomorrow!!
I thought about it but I trust my new vet 100%! The vet bills for the last 2 days (Not including Jake's) have run me close to $500!

I can't afford to take her to another vet. This one has been very good with her and Jake (along with the rest of the animals
) that I don't doubt anything he says. Once I thought about it this afternoon, this behavior started after I had to start keeping her and Tiger in the house because of the neighbors, and she was around Jake 24/7
At least before it was in spurts because she would go outside to play. They told me they were able to put her in the play area (they do adoptions also there) and she was being very loveable and calmed down ALOT. She's not the same cat I took in. Once they gave her a bath and washed her towel (she's had it since we got her) she was doing great. Apparently it must have had some dog hair on it and her also. I am going to visit her tomorrow and I have to bring a fresh laundered set of clothes with me.
I dropped off an outfit at my mom's so I can have her wash it and I'm going to have her take me. I know there is dog hair in my truck (Jake's a longtime passenger in there
) and I don't want to take any chances in making her sick again. Our friend is also going to meet me there. She knows Reilly and has been to the house with her on many occasions.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dixie, I am soooooooo happy that you have figured out what it was.I know you're heartbroken to have to rehome her,but with it being with a friend....you'll be bale to check on her and keep updated about her.
I would keep the kits with you and socialize them.
HUGS!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sooooo happy to hear about this! I'm sure she will find a wonderful new home with your friend
I'm glad this story has a happy ending so far

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering this afternoon if she could have been allergic to the birds as they were a recent addition but not to Jake!!
I hope this works out well for everyone. Will you be able to visit her?? The kittens should do well now at 7 weeks they should be just about weaned and eating pretty well on their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I was wondering this afternoon if she could have been allergic to the birds as they were a recent addition but not to Jake!!
I hope this works out well for everyone. Will you be able to visit her?? The kittens should do well now at 7 weeks they should be just about weaned and eating pretty well on their own.
That's what I was thinking myself. They eat well on thier own

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, what mixed emotions!!! I'm so pleased they figured out the cause, and doesn't need to be put to sleep, and they can see now how wonderful a kitty she is! I'm so sad she has to be rehomed though
Poor little girl!

I can imagine that if she's allergic to dogs, that being near Jake would have made her feel horrible, and not understanding it, linked Jake to feeling yucky.
Poor Jake!!

Good luck with it all, and keep us updated!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

The vet said that if it turns out to be what he thinks it is Reilly would need an extensive and expensive surgery. Around $2,300 dollars! He might be willing to work out a payment plan also, which is good. But he's not 100% sure it's going to do any good for her.
What does he think it is?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

It's an allergy!
But guess what it is?

To JAKE!
Go figure! She's allergic to dogs! ......

This afternoon they took her out, she was a little aggresive but not near as bad, gave her a good bath, washed the towel I left with her, and she's fine!

I'm just happy Reilly is not going to have to have a surgery or be PTS..

Oh, and she's being spayed tomorrow morning!
That's great news!

I haven't read this thread until now and I was worrying and worrying with each post and page that I read. I'm so glad that she will be alright!

Poor baby! She's been through so much!

I'm sorry you have to rehome her though
But at least she has a chance at living out her life happy. And because it is your friend you can still get updates and see her. So that's good news

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too bad you have to rehome Reilly, but otherwise good news!!
i'll bet you are plenty relieved!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so weird...I've never heard of such a thing. But I suppose another vet would have just advised PTS. By contrast, this sounds like a lovely option, although I'm sure it will still be hard to give her up.

As for the kittens, while at 7 weeks it is not ideal to be separate from Mom, with their Uncle Tiger caring for them, I'm sure the babies will do just fine.

I'm chalking this up to another TCS miracle. No way is this just a normal occurance.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
phewwwwwwwwww !!! oh wow what a crazy few days you´ve had

But theres an answer, obviously not the one you would have preferred but its one quazzillion times better than the other option we dont mention !!

Reilly has a new home all sorted and Jake wont have any more cat-attacks
and kitty babes going to be good too !

Big hugs all round

phew ! ! !

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I never would have thought that allergies would cause aggressive behavior.
I'm so glad the vet determined her problem and that you can deal with it by rehoming her. I know you don't want to give her up but she'll be with your friend so you can see her often. It's also good to hear that the kittens are doing well.
Here's some vibes for Reilly that her spay surgery goes well and that she does well in her new home. And vibes for you for all you've gone through in the past few days.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like everyone else, mixed feelings here. I'm so glad that you've figured out what's wrong and that it won't result in her being PTS, but so sad that you have to give your girl up. She's been through so much.

I hope your friend can home her - at least then you can still visit her lots.

Good luck with the kittens.

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only just got round to reading this thread, and it is frightening and also informative. I am so sorry that you will have to lose Reilly, but pleased that the vet has identified the problem and she will be able to have a happy and normal life. We know that many food allergies cause aggression in children, so I guess it is not that improbable that al allergy can have a similar effect in cats. One more thing learned! Good luck to Reilly in her new home.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew animals had alergies... but to other animals?! Good thing she's not allergic to cats.
At least she can live out the rest of her life and you have the relief of knowing what caused her beahvior.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad that it wasn't anything unfixable or too serious, so sorry you have to rehome her, but if that will help her
how very odd, but hey nothing with the kitties surprises me anymore

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dixie, can your friend join TCS too? We will surely miss Reilly pics.... It's so weird, but I just had a feeling that this was not something that she could control. I just felt like she went from normal to spooked, and freaked out big time....and the vets office, well that makes the most calm kitty freak out, how else is she supposed to act? I'm glad that they were able to tell it was an allergy, thank GOD they didn't enforce PTS, and thank you thank you that Animal Control was intelligent enough to realize that it was a traumatizing place for her to be, and her natural animal instinct was to attack....
Poor Reilly, she has been through so much in this last year....who can blame her for being on the defense (having 1 baby is enough to make you crazy, let alone being falsly spayed, giving birth to many babies, then having to be spayed again).... and poor Jake, he can't help that he's a dog.

I'm so happy that your friend will take her! Please give her a big TCS thank you from all of us!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sooooo glad Reilly can be rehomed with your friend! I do believe (from my own experience) that the kittens will be fine without her. They have you as well as their feline and canine big brothers to take care of them. (Besides, I had a female that as soon as her kits reached 8 weeks she refused to have anything to do with them! That was fine with the male as he loved his kittens.
)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

We know that many food allergies cause aggression in children, so I guess it is not that improbable that al allergy can have a similar effect in cats. One more thing learned! Good luck to Reilly in her new home.
i have food allergies that have emotional or psychological effects, so i can't say i'm surprised that Reilly has one!
glad to hear the good news part/sorry about the bad news part - but at least you'll be able to visit [wearing freshly laundered clothing, of course!]