I have just found out that my kitten is an African Wildcat, Felis silvestris lybica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe. Is there any kind of permanent American presence nearby? Even if individuals rotate out occasionally she could be their compound cat. They may be willing to take her on if you tell them that not only is it for the good of the species but that she kills scorpions.

As I say, it's a difficult decision to make. Nothing about this is easy, and no one here will judge you, no matter which way you decide, but you should be thinking about this now rather than waiting for the last minute.

Margret

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@marget As young  as she is and as accustomed  to humans as she is, she really isn't wild any more.She wouldn't make it with other cats of her kind in the wild. The cat has bonded to Alkemist and if they hadn't saved this cat, I am sure, sad as it is, she would have been gone by now. She has a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, She is suchhhhhh a handful after the deworming, I miss her relax demeanor. As small as she is, she wants to constantly eat, today she climbed her first tree, I can't believe she got so high, & jumped down, did it about 5 more times. Keeps jumping, running super fast, & eats/tastes everythinggggggg. I got so tired of hearing her constantly cry, so today my friends & I decided to let her gorge (they kept insisting I was starving her) she's eaten over 1 lb of meat just this 1 sitting, her stomach is soo full, yet she's still play hunting etc. I don't understand why she constantly wants to eat! Oh, & she no longer listens to me as much, before she would respond & run to me like a dog when I said her name. 

As far as the ethics of letting her go, honestly, I've bonded w her; if I end up moving to Dubai, I will definitely bring her with me, even though my friends want me to get rid of her; Im leaving her for about a month, so hopefully I can find her a home for that time in June, if not, Ill start a kickstarter to pay for her to go & come back with me.

& I'm certain she could survive in the wild, I see her hunting & catching things, she hasn't lost her instincts. This area, Puntland, are all historically & now, nomads, goat/camel herders, these are the people responsible for domesticating the african wildcat, which in turn lead to all the domesticated cats ppl have around the world! 

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh she is beautiful, of course you're attached to her- you've raised her, and saved her as the others mentioned.

It's difficult to know how much an African wild cat should eat, and how much they should weigh.

Has the diarrhoea stopped completely, do you think you've resolved the worms?

I'm addicted to this thread by the way!

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats a pic of her now, overstuffed, its hilarious shes trying to play w me but can barely move & keeps falling asleep.

I know she still has diatrhea, she hates me looking at her defecate etc, like i like to say its shame haaaa. So ive only seen a few times, the stool is liquid, maybe bloody, but from what ive searched online, they say thats a deworming effect, so idk. But theres an exponential difference in her appetite, energy level & coat. So im sure its working.

Before eating, she weighs 4lbs max.
Anybody aware whether kittens are able to climb 15 ft up trees & jump down from about 10 ft? & i should record how fast she is, even when she gives me a long head start, i open the door & look behind, & shes already in the door, i wonder what her speed is, bc she walks like a cheetah, & when running fast, she king of gallops, her hind legs jumping in the air to the right; do other kittens do this?

Im just trying to ascertain the differences, if any, between her & reg kittens.
I so dont want her to grow, shes too adorable like this

Ahh she is beautiful, of course you're attached to her- you've raised her, and saved her as the others mentioned.

It's difficult to know how much an African wild cat should eat, and how much they should weigh.

Has the diarrhoea stopped completely, do you think you've resolved the worms?

I'm addicted to this thread by the way!

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes trying to play but then fell asleep midway bc shes overstuffed. Hilarious, but, she just got up looking for more food. I guess the let her eat till she throws up backfired; bc she can eattt.

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
& lastly, this entire time i thought i was buying/eating goat filets; i was suprised of the lack of gaminess bc goat usually has a goat taste hence why its needed to be cooked extra. My friend told me nala & i have been eating CAMEL meat. So much for lost in translation. If anyones wondering, camel meat is super tasty, no gaminess at all, just a bit tough tho, wish I had a pressure cooker at times but i made florentine steak, amazing. I just wish i knew earlier

sheila0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't precisely followed what medications you've given her, so I haven't researched those meds to see which worms they treat.  Personally I think it's risky to give her medication unless you are sure that she actually needs that medication and you are sure of the dose, especially in kittens. In the US she would get a stool analysis, but she would also be automatically assumed to have round worms and tape worms (because of the fleas), and treated for those if she is deemed healthy and big enough for the treatment.  Is it possible that the local vets who treat livestock may be able to help you with this?   It could be that the diarrhea is from something else.

Round worms are usually treated in two phases because during part of their life cycle they are not in the intestine. (An exception to this may be the drug Profender, but I'm not positive).  Also, animals get round worms from eating infected prey, so she may reinfect herself periodically.   You may see round worms in the stool or she may vomit them up.  they look like short pieces of angel hair pasta, maybe two inches long or so.  After she is dewormed for roundworms you will likely see a lot of them in the stool, alive.

You will probably not see tapeworms, but you may see an egg case that looks like a grain of rice on the fur near her butt.   But usually there is no evidence of tapeworms, even in a stool analysis.

I don't know anything about hook worms or other types of worms.   Here is a page that has some info:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/worms

About bringing her to the US and back -- it's a huge undertaking.   Travelling with an animal is so stressful.  And the rules in Somalia may be tricky to deal with.   they may give you a list of things you need to do to bring her into the country and then when you show up at the airport with the cat they may say, "Oh that list has been revised", or "Didn't we mention there is a 6 month quarantine period?"    I don't know I'm just imagining that you could run into problems.    If you are able to get her into the US you'll all probably be better off if she stays.  Eventually you will return permanently?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is that way, he'll keep eating until he is sick. I figure you could try to divide her meals into several smaller ones? You are giving her chicken bones right? Uncooked, because she needs calcium. She really is a beauty.

sheila0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She could be going through a growth spurt and is just hungry all the time.   Also, if she has worms the loss of nutrients might make her hungrier.

I've been taught since I was a kid not to feed chicken bones to cats or dogs because they are sharp and can pierce mucosal membranes or intestine.  Was that misinformation?   Chicken bones do soften a lot with cooking.  Why is it preferable for the bones to be uncooked?     Calcium is an element and can't be destroyed by cooking.  In the US we don't eat uncooked chicken because of the possibility of microorganisms like salmonella but maybe that is not a concern in somalia where the chickens probably are not forced to wallow in their own feces.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the pictures, she really is stunning. She's looking so much better than she did on the pictures at the beginning of this thread.

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Havent given her any chicken bones for a few days, i havent bought chicken. But shes getting calcium from the whole eggs she eats w shell. & def the several huge crickets moths lozards she eats daily.

Yes shes doing a lot better, her color is diff as well & shes so much softer.

I dont think ill have to make a decision as to whether or not to keep her. I think shes going to end up leaving me; which is best bc i wouldnt be able to.

Shes maturing real fast, i have a few trees in my yard, 30-40ft high. She learned to climb yesterday, got up halfway jumped etc. But now shes hooked, cant stop climbing, she went to the top of another tree. Her instincts are piercing through.

I can barely keep her in the room at night at this small size, she wants to hunt & climb all day & night; what a life.

So yeah, ill miss her if she does decide on leaving. Theres a male wildcat thats been coming in & out my yard, could be her father for all i know, but i guess its just a matter of time before shes deflowered.

& i like the fact everyone is enjoying this thread as much as Im having to post my queries.

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I truly respect her fearlessness, climbing so high, & coming back down being so small. She even looks like a cheetah way up, i had to zoom in to catch her.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most adult cats are lactose intolerant. Goat yogurt, maybe? Since we know she has no problem with goat milk. The question this brings up is whether it's available.
Margret
What about probotics if you can get them in Somalia. Supposed to be good for digestion and tummy things.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be going through a growth spurt and is just hungry all the time.   Also, if she has worms the loss of nutrients might make her hungrier.

I've been taught since I was a kid not to feed chicken bones to cats or dogs because they are sharp and can pierce mucosal membranes or intestine.  Was that misinformation?   Chicken bones do soften a lot with cooking.  Why is it preferable for the bones to be uncooked?     Calcium is an element and can't be destroyed by cooking.  In the US we don't eat uncooked chicken because of the possibility of microorganisms like salmonella but maybe that is not a concern in somalia where the chickens probably are not forced to wallow in their own feces.
Cooked chicken bones are not advised because they are soft. I suggest you Google it. Raw chicken wings are advised.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How will she manage in the wild having been brought up by you. The gentleman caller is probably waiting for her signal and then you'll have babies :-)
Be prepared for her to leave you. ¿:'(

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before i would have to look in crevices, now i look up to find her.

I think her tummy will be fine once the meds take their course. Albendazole & ivermectin shes been given, proper doses.

Trust me, me raising her for the past 2 months havent taken away from her wildness, i see it.

I so dont want her to get pregnate; but i guess her species need to procreate.

How long do they leave for when in heat? Also, how long does it take to give birth? Will she give birth at home or some secret area?

Thanks

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

cooked bones are sharp and pierce intestines. Raw bones don't. Edible bones for cats are the small ones like chicken wing tips, chicken ribs, or any small birds like quail.

If you are interested, google around a bit. Bones have much more nutrients than calcium. Anyway we're talking cats eating, not humans, entirely different in everything including germ loads

Status
Not open for further replies.