I have just found out that my kitten is an African Wildcat, Felis silvestris lybica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm inclined to say female, because I don't see any testicles, but things are very swollen and nasty back there, so I can't be positive :(. Poor girl, once she's been de-wormed, is living in decent conditions, and is eating good food hopefully she'll heal up nicely. Have you gotten rid of the fleas? That's probably part of the problem, definitely why she's missing so much fur on her stomach.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Looks like a girl from here. There should be two openings, the lower dark patch looks like it would be the anus and the higher one looks like a vagina, unless this is a male after all and the lower dark patch is concealing his testicles. Try to feel what's hidden in that dark patch. If there are two or even just one soft marbles in there then this cat is a male. On this small a cat it would be hard to find the little penis.

re: female cat  being in heat: she will roll on the floor, yowl as if she was in pain, try to get outdoors whenever you open the door to the outside, try to scratch out screens, anything to get outside. Also, intact toms will be outside singing, well, yowling would be a better word as it would be loud and there would be cat fights between the toms, each one trying to be more attractive to your female.

If it is indeed a tom he would start spraying walls (and other vertical things including your legs)  and also try to get outside to court a female.

So don't let this cat outside, be very sure there are no small places she can squeeze through to get outside. A small tear in a screen will be an ideal way for her, she will just poke her nose in there until it is big enough for her to get through. When heat strikes her she will find any possible way to escape.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding her a raw meat diet, (theres no petstore pet food etc here) so she eats raw goat meat, chicken, tuna, chicken sausage & eggs.
congratulations!

you're doing great - keep it up with raw goat, chicken and eggs. I don't recommend sausage because 1. you never know what's in there, but almost certainly too much salt and spices and 2. most probably that contributes to diarrhea.

What you want to feed her basically is 85% meat of as many sources as you can get your hands on, 5% edible bones (chicken wings/backs in your case, whatever she likes), 5% liver (important not to exceed that because it might give vitamin A poisoning, but also important to feed liver because it's terrific in nutrients you don't easily get elsewhere. It can be any kind of liver.), and 5% secreting organs like kidney, spleen, brain, anything you can get. Can you get pork? My guys and girl love anything pork. Note that these % are all your good judging of about a week's food. So you don't have to actually weigh and calculate, but you certainly can if it helps. I don't, just use rule of thumb and adjust if the output is constipated or too runny.

If you can't get edible bones for some reason, you can also use crumpled egg shell for calcium and sprinkle on some meat.

Eggs are good, goat is perfect, chicken isn't the best food for cats - surprisingly - because other meat has much more taurine, something essential that cats can't make themselves. It's in any meat, but mostly in red meat like goat, pork, beef, and best of all in hearts. Of chicken parts, aside from the heart, the darker meat has the most taurine. You can't overfeed on taurine, it's like vitamin C for humans.

Keep it up. This is the best way of feeding a cat. Unless you go whole prey, of course.

She'll also catch and eat bugs with enthusiasm -great workout for her, they actually have taurine in them and where you are they hopefully aren't full of pesticides so should be healthy.

Also, best have a bowl of water for her anytime. Cats don't have a big thirst drive which makes dehydration a worry, especially if her poo is runny.

Please keep us up to date on you you're doing! 

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be cautious about raw pork - trichinosis and worm parasites.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pigs are scavengers. They will eat anything - dead bodies, garbage, feces, as well as "better" quality food. Besides, in a Muslim country how much pork will be available.

Goats are grazers / browsers. Chickens will eat plants, seeds, bugs, mice if they can catch them. Both goat and chicken should be safer, by far, than pork.

Will freezers even be available in the part of Somalia where OP is living? It may be that electricity is scarce, infrequent, with disruptions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has a lot of hair on her belly, its just white with speck of brown brick red. I bathe her once a week, so she has no fleas from what I can see, but I know they're around, as I've seen lil small ones in her food plate, but they aren't on her; but shell get them bc goats walks around the roads, & i use sand as her litter from outside so they must come from there as well. I have no choice I guess I will have to continually deworm her? . She is growing back her hair on the hind legs, she licked it away, I was using the dish washing soap to  bathe her, once i put a lil baby oil, she stopped scratching & irritating, so the hair is growing back.

& yes, i was looking at her butt, it def seemed swollen to me, but its def due to the diarrhea, she's probably always had it, poor thing, I'm going to try to get some tapeworm medicine, I'm sure she has those. The ivermectin I've been using, i put in her ear for the ear mites, its finally clearing up a bit. & i gave it to her orally bc it kills some other worms as well.  I cleaned my entire living room with bleach, she had a couple of accidents on this mattress, i doused it with bleach after i wiped it off, will that rid the parasites? 

& now I understand why she doesn't care to eat the chicken breast pieces I give her! she wants goat meat, I will get some tomorrow, she's been forcing her self to eat the chicken, & ill try to get some brains, ewww, since its good for her. & no pork, its a muslim country, as am I, so she's on kosher/halal diet haaaaaa. & you're right about the flies, she started eating some recently, i caught her a lizard last week, (they're on everyones walls) & she ate it, & since then, looks for bugs & lizards. 

Even with all the worms she's super energetic, idk how, but lately she's jumping onto my kitchen counter, shes probably half a foot tall if that, & she's jumping about 4 ft! She was never able to get that high, she's growing right in front of my eyes. 

As far as the escaping, you're def right, since yesterday she's been sneaking under my gate, I'm going to block that, 1 bc i don't want her catching other diseases, 2 getting hurt by other strays that seem to be on an active assassination 3 no kids!!!

I wil def keep you guys all updated, partly bc I love talking about her, ppl are starting to think I'm having some mid life crisis caring for her, but idk, she's my first ever pet, & i love her, she's way too affectionate & so tiny & as I need help as well.

Everyone I truly appreciate all of your feedback. Any other tips, I will gladly act upon!

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes & yes. I have a freezer, but electricity is pretty consistent, surprisingly, past 4 months only went out once for 30 mins & that was for repairs. But its surely super expensive, $1 a unit. They use US currency here, surely not the somalia they portray on tv, things are way more expensive than NYC, & much lower quality. They sell camel meat here as well, its pretty popular, I've never tried it, but ill get some for nala, & see what she thinks. 

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
All cats are Little African Wildcats
. Genetically speaking, at least. So I doubt there will be much difference between her and one of more domesticated background. Her mother may have been somewhat domesticated; kittens usually pick up their attitudes about humans from their mothers so if her mom was fully wild she would likely be far more skittish.

NYC does ban all exotic animals (even hedgehogs and ferrets!) so I wouldn't spread the news. Unless she changes a lot when she grows up, she should be able to pass for a domestic. Street cats from other countries frequently look somewhat different from American strays so I don't think they'll find her suspicious.

If you aren't able to have her spayed, you'll need to find a way to keep her away from tomcats, or you're going to be grandparent to a lot of kittens! Try to get her a rabies shot, too, that's a big problem in less developed countries.

You can learn how to provide a balanced homemade diet in our raw and homecooked forum. It's not too hard but there are some nutrients you have to make sure to provide.

Another good resource for those in less developed countries is the online Merck Vet Manual. You can learn which "goat medications" are safe for cats and in what dosages.

It's hard for me to tell gender from that picture. It's an awkward angle, plus things look a little tender back there!
If you can get a picture of the kitty standing with her tail up, it'll be a little easier to tell. If she's a male
, testicles will be visible soon enough.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/

and also

http://www.drugs.com/vet/cats-a.html

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding her a raw meat diet, (theres no petstore pet food etc here) so she eats raw goat meat, chicken, tuna, chicken sausage & eggs.
Are you giving her anything as a calcium source? Bones maybe? If  not it is critical that you do. A rapidly growing kitten in particular must have calcium in the diet or she will end up very sick.

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, i havent given her bone consistently at all, maybe a chicken win here or there, now i see why she ate the bone. The goat bones will def be too large, if i broke it up in small pieces, she would eat the bone?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, i havent given her bone consistently at all, maybe a chicken win here or there, now i see why she ate the bone. The goat bones will def be too large, if i broke it up in small pieces, she would eat the bone?
no, sorry, goat bones are too large. But chicken wings will do nicely! Maybe you can even get a whole chicken, or chicken necks?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by alkemist  

Are you giving her anything as a calcium source? Bones maybe? If  not it is critical that you do. A rapidly growing kitten in particular must have calcium in the diet or she will end up very sick.
I suggest that you post over on the Raw Diet forum for help. Raw meats and egg aren't a complete diet. You need to add bone and organs as well and everything has to be in the right proportions (80% meat, 10% bone, 5% organs, 5% liver). A frankenprey / prey model diet seems best for your situation.

What's in the sausage? Garlic is common and is harfmul to cats. Not sure if a whild cat is any different but I would err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must make sure she gets enough calcium. For help in how to feed a home-made diet go to the Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food forum (under Cat Nutrition).  Chicken wings with attached meat are good. Also chicken ribs with meat attached. Think of the bone size of a bird or mouse. That is the best size for her. Ask in the raw feeding forum about which bone-in chicken parts people have fed kittens.

Be careful though, too much bone can cause constipation.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really enjoying reading this thread. How exciting to have a wild cat as a pet. When are you planning on taking her back to the US @alkemist  ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I would be cautious about raw pork - trichinosis and worm parasites.
Yes, also some risk for Aujeszky's disease,  pseudo-rabies.  Its not dangerous for humans, but dangerous for cats.   This virus is nonexistent in countries with well veterinary and laboratory controlled slaugherhouses, but may happen in other countries.

So in these countries, if you use pork, be sure you cook it properly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

She has a lot of hair on her belly, its just white with speck of brown brick red. I bathe her once a week, so she has no fleas from what I can see, but I know they're around, as I've seen lil small ones in her food plate, but they aren't on her; but shell get them bc goats walks around the roads, & i use sand as her litter from outside so they must come from there as well. I have no choice I guess I will have to continually deworm her? . She is growing back her hair on the hind legs, she licked it away, I was using the dish washing soap to  bathe her, once i put a lil baby oil, she stopped scratching & irritating, so the hair is growing back.

& yes, i was looking at her butt, it def seemed swollen to me, but its def due to the diarrhea, she's probably always had it, poor thing, I'm going to try to get some tapeworm medicine, I'm sure she has those. The ivermectin I've been using, i put in her ear for the ear mites, its finally clearing up a bit. & i gave it to her orally bc it kills some other worms as well.  I cleaned my entire living room with bleach, she had a couple of accidents on this mattress, i doused it with bleach after i wiped it off, will that rid the parasites? 

& now I understand why she doesn't care to eat the chicken breast pieces I give her! she wants goat meat, I will get some tomorrow, she's been forcing her self to eat the chicken, & ill try to get some brains, ewww, since its good for her. & no pork, its a muslim country, as am I, so she's on kosher/halal diet haaaaaa. & you're right about the flies, she started eating some recently, i caught her a lizard last week, (they're on everyones walls) & she ate it, & since then, looks for bugs & lizards. 

Even with all the worms she's super energetic, idk how, but lately she's jumping onto my kitchen counter, shes probably half a foot tall if that, & she's jumping about 4 ft! She was never able to get that high, she's growing right in front of my eyes. 

As far as the escaping, you're def right, since yesterday she's been sneaking under my gate, I'm going to block that, 1 bc i don't want her catching other diseases, 2 getting hurt by other strays that seem to be on an active assassination 3 no kids!!!

I wil def keep you guys all updated, partly bc I love talking about her, ppl are starting to think I'm having some mid life crisis caring for her, but idk, she's my first ever pet, & i love her, she's way too affectionate & so tiny & as I need help as well.

Everyone I truly appreciate all of your feedback. Any other tips, I will gladly act upon!
Do I read this right?  You did needed such companion, and perhaps this is why you had your eyes wide open?

Dont you get some religious feeling?   I do in such situations.

Btw, you know the story of Oscar, the  hospital cat on a terminal care ward?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also been enjoying this thread. The rabbis here haven't decided on camel but it fits all the criteria for kosher so obviously halal as well and you said they eat it in Somalia. I einf

Status
Not open for further replies.