I have had just about enough

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i haven't heard of pine litter being bad for their liver.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well ask your vet, or Google about it or something.. it is bad, and bad also for rabbits and guinea pigs, etc.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I would say just try "play sand", from wal mart or somewhere similar...I think it's usually in the lawn/garden dept.
It has been my experience (from non litterbox applications) that the white/light beige "play sand" is a very attractive bathroom for the feline set.

"wait a sec, kids, let me check out the box first, that's not a tootsie roll"...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Well ask your vet, or Google about it or something.. it is bad, and bad also for rabbits and guinea pigs, etc.
I just Googled. I see lots of hits dealing with it being bad for rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, but if there was anything pertaining to cats, I missed it. No, I did not read every link thoroughly -- not even close -- but when the hits for the other animals are that plentiful, I'm surprised to see nothing relating to cats. Still, if you've run into information about it, that's something we'd want to be aware of. Can you provide a link for us?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i gave up - i'm back on cat attract for the boxes. it didn't have as much dust and they actually used it. so now i have a HUGE bag of WBCL if anyone wants some.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Pine is very bad for their liver(s).
Arlyn actually brought this to my attention in another thread about rabbits. Pine SHAVINGS are dangerous to all animals because they contain oils and phenols that damage the respiratory system. Feline pine and wood pellets (for stoves) are phenol free and should be fine. I haven't heard about liver issues but I'll look and see what I can find pertaining to that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try a pellet based litter.. often either pine or paper based... he may not like the feel of the litter

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I assumed that if pine bedding is bad for other animals it must be bad for cats too, but if it isn't, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to cause a fuss or anything. I guess once you get something like that fixed in your head, it just pops up even at the wrong times! We've also had rabbits and so I'm very cautious about it.