I Have A Feral Cat In My Room And I’m Afraid He’s Not Happy

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn’t feral just mean that a kitten was born and raised outside? That’s what I think he was. Anyway, he’s here with me right now. Under my bed. Yes....he’s a handsome boy. I love him. Because of him and the other black cat, I love black cats too and am sad to hear that black cats don’t get that much love. :(
IMG_1354.JPG

Charlie, born outside and separated from his littermates too soon. I got him when he was roughly two months old, and I doubt he would've lasted long outside with his additional problems from the separation. He's been a handful, to say the very least, but you're looking at a boy who's happy being an indoor-only kitty.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he just needs more time to adjust to his new home. Even domesticated cats sometimes hide out for several days or weeks while they decide whether or not they're safe. Cats don't like change much, so the newness is a bit scary.

I TNR'd 2 cats last year.

The first was a 4-month old kitten who was skittish but very gentle, non-aggressive cat. When I picked her up from her spay, I couldn't release her so I brought her home. She stayed in my master bathroom for 9 days and I sat on that cold floor for 15 minutes out of every hour I was home. I talked to her, and taught her to play with toys, and picked her up and petted her every visit. She came out of her shell and I let her have access to the master bedroom and bath. By the time I let her have the extra space, she was not hiding from me.

The second cat was trapped after I noticed she was pregnant. The shelter kept her over 8 weeks to nurse her litter (which she had at the shelter 4 days after I took her), and then a couple weeks for her milk to dry so they could spay her. They assessed her as "too wild to be socialize, adopted, or make a good house pet". She was an aggressive cat, but with a lot of work, I can hold her and pet her even though she doesn't seem to need human affection. She comes inside for 3 meals a day, and I keep her in the house overnight for safety. Otherwise, she prefers to be outside all day unless it's raining. She tends to stay very close to the house.

With both kitties, I owe my laid-back senior domestic cat, Tangent, a lot of gratitude. I think the wild kitties saw him coming to rub against me and sitting in my lap enjoying petting and decided that maybe I was an "ok" human.

I think your cat would be bouncing off the walls, trying to crash through a window, and yowling if he were really unhappy. He just needs more adjustment time. Thank you for helping him. :heartshape:

Farrell, the indoor feral:

Misfit, the indoor/outdoor feral:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like he just needs more time to adjust to his new home. Even domesticated cats sometimes hide out for several days or weeks while they decide whether or not they're safe. Cats don't like change much, so the newness is a bit scary.

The first was a 4-month old kitten who was skittish but very gentle, non-aggressive cat. When I picked her up from her spay, I couldn't release her so I brought her home. She stayed in my master bathroom for 9 days and I sat on that cold floor for 15 minutes out of every hour I was home. I talked to her, and taught her to play with toys, and picked her up and petted her every visit. She came out of her shell and I let her have access to the master bedroom and bath. By the time I let her have the extra space, she was not hiding from me.

The second cat was trapped after I noticed she was pregnant. The shelter kept her over 8 weeks to nurse her litter (which she had at the shelter 4 days after I took her), and then a couple weeks for her milk to dry so they could spay her. They assessed her as "too wild to be socialize, adopted, or make a good house pet". She was an aggressive cat, but with a lot of work, I can hold her and pet her even though she doesn't seem to need human affection. She comes inside for 3 meals a day, and I keep her in the house overnight for safety. Otherwise, she prefers to be outside all day unless it's raining. She tends to stay very close to the house.

With both kitties, I owe my laid-back senior domestic cat, Tangent, a lot of gratitude. I think the wild kitties saw him coming to rub against me and sitting in my lap enjoying petting and decided that maybe I was an "ok" human.

I think your cat would be bouncing off the walls, trying to crash through a window, and yowling if he were really unhappy. He just needs more adjustment time. Thank you for helping him. :heartshape:

The sweet boy I have is roughly 2-3 years old...from my calculation of what I get from people from the park that have seen him. If he were a kitten, I think it’s easier to mold them. I’m just worried. It’s hard to see him like this not moving...not knowing when he’ll come out and stay out. All your supportive replies does help me through this time when doubts keep creeping in. Thank you for loving your cats and other cats.

LifeWithOliver

AM348
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you. How did your feral adjust to indoor life? I know the best way would have been if the cat would come around to my house and gradually welcome him in....but that was not the case with me. That’s why I was very reluctant to bring him at first because of the sudden change. But it seemed so tough for him out there.....how did your cat adjust? What did he do? Did he hide? Was your period just as hard as mine? I don’t know why this is so hard on me. He seems fine when he sometimes comes out and I pet him, but then he goes back under a furniture and doesn’t come out indefinitely. :(
I took her in by putting a towel over her and wrapping her up like a burrito(definitely very sudden change). At first I always had to wrap her up in a towel because that was the only way to give her eye medications. She had her own room where she felt secure and I let her explore our house when she wanted to. It took time but I never rushed her and she adjusted very well. She was neutered which calmed her. The veterinarian could not save her eyes. She became mostly blind and could only see some shadows. She also had a tumor in one eye. Outside she would not have a chance of survival. Indoor is definitely safer.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her in by putting a towel over her and wrapping her up like a burrito(definitely very sudden change). At first I always had to wrap her up in a towel because that was the only way to give her eye medications. She had her own room where she felt secure and I let her explore our house when she wanted to. It took time but I never rushed her and she adjusted very well. She was neutered which calmed her. The veterinarian could not save her eyes. She became mostly blind and could only see some shadows. She also had a tumor in one eye. Outside she would not have a chance of survival. Indoor is definitely safer.
Omg thank you for sharing and thank you for saving her. Hearing these stories really help me to sustain. My adorable guy would have had such a tough time for sure out there. Thank you.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is so hard to "read" them, sometimes. Until I came on this site I had no idea how many ferals could be tamed so successfully. I agree with you that it would seem kittens would be easier, but it also seems an unhappy cat would be yowling and trying to get out. Not sure, going through something similar right now. It sounds like you are doing GREAT, though! I think your kitty is going to be just fine indoors! :bigeyes:

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is so hard to "read" them, sometimes. Until I came on this site I had no idea how many ferals could be tamed so successfully. I agree with you that it would seem kittens would be easier, but it also seems an unhappy cat would be yowling and trying to get out. Not sure, going through something similar right now. It sounds like you are doing GREAT, though! I think your kitty is going to be just fine indoors! :bigeyes:
Oh thank you so much for the encouragement!! It means a lot.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for asking. All of your suggestions and encouragements helped. I’m sorry I don’t remember which person suggested to bring the other kitty (the cat he used to live outside with) home to make his adjustment better, and I thought of that idea and did it. It worked great. I thought of it before but that person’s suggestion cemented it. I love the other kitty also and had been planning to bring her too. But I didn’t know if it would totally work because they weren’t the best of friends. But I did it sooner than I thought and that was just this morning!! I was nervous about getting her too because she can bite! But then another wonderful person mentioned about the towel (I’m really a newbie with cats!!!! First time ever) so that’s what I did! I brought her over and my boy cat came out with such confidence, even jumped up on the sofa, grooming outside...it was unbelievable and so wonderful. I couldn’t believe my eyes and I felt like now I could breathe. He still goes under things but I’m not nearly as worried as before. Because I could tell he’s gained confidence. I think they gave each other comfort. She’s great. She’s afraid sometimes when I’m not near, but for the most part, she’s such a treasure to have around. It’s still a work in progress and they’re still getting used to the place and I’m not entirely over my worries, but it seems the worst part may be over. Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement. Helped me so much. Oh and yes, the female is named Radha. And the young boy is Rama. Named after Hindu Gods. :) I think it’s appropriate.

First picture is Rama suddenly feeling confident and jumping on the sofa.

Second picture is Radha sleeping peacefully.

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're so lovely! Congrats to you and to them! A second cat can certainly have a calming effect, especially when they are familiars.

These ferals can certainly steal our hearts, can't they? I was happy (I thought) to be down to only one domestic cat, until Farrell got trapped in our work warehouse...and I couldn't let her go. Then, I didn't expect Misfit to stick around after releasing her...and in no time I "moved up in the world" from one cat to three! :purr:

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And they all happen to be black?? That’s amazing!!! I loved all animals. My family had dogs in the past. But never cats. Until I met these two at the park and I couldn’t get them off my mind either. Now I have a special place for black cats, and black dogs!! I see a black dog and I think of my black beauties. Thank you!!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking. All of your suggestions and encouragements helped. I’m sorry I don’t remember which person suggested to bring the other kitty (the cat he used to live outside with) home to make his adjustment better, and I thought of that idea and did it. It worked great. I thought of it before but that person’s suggestion cemented it. I love the other kitty also and had been planning to bring her too. But I didn’t know if it would totally work because they weren’t the best of friends. But I did it sooner than I thought and that was just this morning!! I was nervous about getting her too because she can bite! But then another wonderful person mentioned about the towel (I’m really a newbie with cats!!!! First time ever) so that’s what I did! I brought her over and my boy cat came out with such confidence, even jumped up on the sofa, grooming outside...it was unbelievable and so wonderful. I couldn’t believe my eyes and I felt like now I could breathe. He still goes under things but I’m not nearly as worried as before. Because I could tell he’s gained confidence. I think they gave each other comfort. She’s great. She’s afraid sometimes when I’m not near, but for the most part, she’s such a treasure to have around. It’s still a work in progress and they’re still getting used to the place and I’m not entirely over my worries, but it seems the worst part may be over. Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement. Helped me so much. Oh and yes, the female is named Radha. And the young boy is Rama. Named after Hindu Gods. :) I think it’s appropriate.

M Myladybug - This is absolutely wonderful news! Congratulations - and God Bless you - all three of you!

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! I couldn’t be happier. Thank you and God bless you too!!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You are on the road to success! I am so happy for you and glad that Radha made all the difference. Congratulations!