I Have A Feral Cat In My Room And I’m Afraid He’s Not Happy

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
571C3C6F-1E57-4E85-BFB6-01C6318A55F0.jpeg
Hi everyone. I’ve been wanting to post something here for a long time. Because I became a cat lover after meeting these two stray/feral cats in a nearby park. I will focus on one of them because that’s who this problem is about. He is a feral cat that many people account for seeing him as a kitten in the same area. I have gone to the park just to see them and occasionally feed them (there is a regular feeder) and the feral cat is very friendly and lets me touch him. He’s very jumpy and is nervous easily, but is such a lovable cat. I wanted to get him neutered and possibly adopt him since day one. I got him neutered and he’s doing fine. But now, I have him in my room right now after him allowing me to carry him to my home. He is very comfortable with me. But he hasn’t come out from under my couch for two days!! It might be short, but I’m nervous. Is he unhappy?? Is he going to stay in there forever?? I love him so much and just to see his sad (it looks that way to me) or despondent look just kills me. I brought him here because I really felt he wasn’t doing so well outside. He’s gotten injured so many times, he doesn’t show up for days, and looks so skinny and afraid sometimes. I just couldn’t stand it anymore and I brought him into my house hoping I could successfully make him into a happy indoor cat. But it fills me with doubts when I see him under my couch not moving for days. Please help to ease my doubts and give me some advice. To be honest...(I have no prior cat experience) I brought him here before when I got him neutered. And him not coming out for two days just wrecked me and I put him back in his familiar park habitat. He seemed happy. But as weeks passed by again, and because I love this guy, I still had doubts whether he’s better off living outside because first, I could be biased, I really felt like he needed and wanted attention and love. He seemed bored and lonely to me. This last time, he just seemed different. He didn’t show up for three days and he came back looking very skinny, despondent/traumatized, and a big wound on his chin which I have no idea how that happened and I wish I knew!!!!! Sorry for rambling but please! Help! Please give me advice. Right now I’m torn with the feelings of am I doing the right thing or not. Please help. This is emotionally soooo hard on me.

Madcat39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he’s not happy being an indoor cat, don’t force him. Because he’s not doing well on on his own, do you have a backyard or closed in area outside where he could live instead? Some cats do better when they aren’t around humans all the time, but still get attention and care from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he’s not happy being an indoor cat, don’t force him. Because he’s not doing well on on his own, do you have a backyard or closed in area outside where he could live instead? Some cats do better when they aren’t around humans all the time, but still get attention and care from them.
Thank you for your input.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M Myladybug - There's only one absolute truth about feral cats coming inside: Love conquers all. Be patient; Love is the one thing which never fails.

Welcome to TCS, and God Bless you for looking after this beautiful kitty.
Thank you for your lovely input. And God bless you too.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, love will do it. He will be much better off inside. He's scared right now because inside is unfamiliar to him. Bring him in and give him a week or two to get used to it. You can feed him from your finger to coax him out. If he knows you and accepts you, he will come out once he calms down.
Thank you for your input. That’s exactly what I was thinking but being in this position right now, it’s very hard to be strong and believe that. It’s hard to see him go through this. But I also see all this hardship, injuries and loneliness he goes through out there. Thank you again.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would still like more advice from others. This really helps. Thank you.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 235781 Hi everyone. I’ve been wanting to post something here for a long time. Because I became a cat lover after meeting these two stray/feral cats in a nearby park. I will focus on one of them because that’s who this problem is about. He is a feral cat that many people account for seeing him as a kitten in the same area. I have gone to the park just to see them and occasionally feed them (there is a regular feeder) and the feral cat is very friendly and lets me touch him. He’s very jumpy and is nervous easily, but is such a lovable cat. I wanted to get him neutered and possibly adopt him since day one. I got him neutered and he’s doing fine. But now, I have him in my room right now after him allowing me to carry him to my home. He is very comfortable with me. But he hasn’t come out from under my couch for two days!! It might be short, but I’m nervous. Is he unhappy?? Is he going to stay in there forever?? I love him so much and just to see his sad (it looks that way to me) or despondent look just kills me. I brought him here because I really felt he wasn’t doing so well outside. He’s gotten injured so many times, he doesn’t show up for days, and looks so skinny and afraid sometimes. I just couldn’t stand it anymore and I brought him into my house hoping I could successfully make him into a happy indoor cat. But it fills me with doubts when I see him under my couch not moving for days. Please help to ease my doubts and give me some advice. To be honest...(I have no prior cat experience) I brought him here before when I got him neutered. And him not coming out for two days just wrecked me and I put him back in his familiar park habitat. He seemed happy. But as weeks passed by again, and because I love this guy, I still had doubts whether he’s better off living outside because first, I could be biased, I really felt like he needed and wanted attention and love. He seemed bored and lonely to me. This last time, he just seemed different. He didn’t show up for three days and he came back looking very skinny, despondent/traumatized, and a big wound on his chin which I have no idea how that happened and I wish I knew!!!!! Sorry for rambling but please! Help! Please give me advice. Right now I’m torn with the feelings of am I doing the right thing or not. Please help. This is emotionally soooo hard on me.
Please, please do not release that poor boy. Please visit these two threads ASAP. Feral Wants To Go Outside Again and Fervour For Ferals. Do you know what happened to the other poor cat?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input. That’s exactly what I was thinking but being in this position right now, it’s very hard to be strong and believe that. It’s hard to see him go through this. But I also see all this hardship, injuries and loneliness he goes through out there. Thank you again.
Being a stray/feral in a neighborhood can be very different than being in a park where more strangers will be encountered.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please, please do not release that poor boy. Please visit these two threads ASAP. Feral Wants To Go Outside Again and Fervour For Ferals. Do you know what happened to the other poor cat?
Hi. The other cat is still in that neighborhood/park. I still visit her. If everything goes well, it’s my dream to offer her a home. But the experience I’m having with this current feral is making it a bit tough. The other one is an older female and I’m guessing that she was abandoned—used to be a home cat because she behaves very differently than the boy feral. She’s not afraid of people and recognizes comfortable things. That’s why I think she will do well in a home. But this is all my first time experience! I’m just desperately wishing and hoping my beautiful feral will come around soon.
By the way, I didn’t get a link to the second thread. Thanks so much.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When are you going to get him neutered and checked by a vet? Please don't make any decision to release him until after he has been neutered and given time to recover and for his hormones to settle down. Tomcats want to go and roam, and they also fight and can spread diseases to other cats. When you get him neutered, consider getting him the SNAP test, which tests for feline leukemia and Feline AIDS. If he has feline AIDS, he will definitely need to be kept inside because outside he would get too many infections and can also spread the disease if he were to bite another cat while fighting.. Cats with FIV can live long and happy lives, but not outside. Since he is skinny and getting injured frequently, you really should test him for this. Hopefully this is not his problem, and he is just malnourished. He very likely has parasites and will need a dewormer from the vet.

Your cat does not sound like a feral cat, he sounds like a stray. You would not be able to pick up and carry home a feral cat. Stray cats much more easily adapt to indoor life than feral cats. He may be depressed not only because of the new situation, but he may not be feeling well. So again, take him to a vet before making any decision.

For the record, I do not believe that every adult feral cat should be kept inside against it's will. Some never adjust to indoor life, and are happier and best cared for outside, especially if part of a colony. I have cared for an outdoor feral in the past, and I'm helping to care for one outside right now. But that is not your situation. You are caring for a stray cat. Stray cats do not survive long or well outside, they do not have the skills of feral cats. Get him to a vet, get him neutered, and give him time and patience. Thank you for taking care of him.

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since he is a stray and not a feral (given the ease with which you can touch him and carry him), I would say he is better off inside with you. Ferals are "scrappier" than strays, have better hunting skills, etc. That is not to say ferals can't be vulnerable outside - of course they are - just that I think strays are less skilled at outdoor survival.

I understand your apprehension, as I just went through something similar. But I don't feel 2 days is nearly long enough for a true assessment. If you can get him back in, I would do so. But if not, it's okay - continue to feed him outside, maybe get him a cat house or something.

But ideally, I would try to bring him in and start the adjustment process. You can already touch him, that's half the challenge!

He is a HANDSOME boy!!! I love black cats, and have 3 of them. :bigeyes: :dancingblackcat: :purr:

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first cat was a feral and she adjusted with time, patience and love to an indoor cat. With time your cat will adjust himself too and be very happy indoors.
Oh thank you. How did your feral adjust to indoor life? I know the best way would have been if the cat would come around to my house and gradually welcome him in....but that was not the case with me. That’s why I was very reluctant to bring him at first because of the sudden change. But it seemed so tough for him out there.....how did your cat adjust? What did he do? Did he hide? Was your period just as hard as mine? I don’t know why this is so hard on me. He seems fine when he sometimes comes out and I pet him, but then he goes back under a furniture and doesn’t come out indefinitely. :(

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did he hang around with the other kitty? If so, maybe if you bring her home she will show him how to settle in? (If she trusts people I'm afraid she might run across someone who takes advantage of that to do her harm)
They lived in the same area, but they never got along that well. The other one is the dominant one and COULD be the mom. I’m not sure. I did think of that.....but she’s not an easy one to get. I tried to lure her into a carrier and she would not have it. I don’t know how I would get her.

Myladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he is a stray and not a feral (given the ease with which you can touch him and carry him), I would say he is better off inside with you. Ferals are "scrappier" than strays, have better hunting skills, etc. That is not to say ferals can't be vulnerable outside - of course they are - just that I think strays are less skilled at outdoor survival.

I understand your apprehension, as I just went through something similar. But I don't feel 2 days is nearly long enough for a true assessment. If you can get him back in, I would do so. But if not, it's okay - continue to feed him outside, maybe get him a cat house or something.

But ideally, I would try to bring him in and start the adjustment process. You can already touch him, that's half the challenge!

He is a HANDSOME boy!!! I love black cats, and have 3 of them. :bigeyes: :dancingblackcat: :purr:
Doesn’t feral just mean that a kitten was born and raised outside? That’s what I think he was. Anyway, he’s here with me right now. Under my bed. Yes....he’s a handsome boy. I love him. Because of him and the other black cat, I love black cats too and am sad to hear that black cats don’t get that much love. :(