I hate W......(big retail chain)! (Rant)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

I've never seen a sale like that on chocolate milk! I'd be in my glory.

If there is a sale, they only take 20-30 cents off.
I get it at No Frills when they do. They just had it on sale either last week or the week before.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

the give and take is worth it for enough people to make walmart the biggest employer in the us. So they're doing something right. and by the way, they emply 1.8 MILLION people on the report I just looked at. Number two, McDonalds, has 400k so they are 4 times bigger than the second place employer.
Arkansas would be the poorest state in the country if it didn't have WalMart and JB Hunt. Did you know that?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no I didn't. yikes. There's a big ice cream factory in Searcy too. it almost shut down a few months ago and would put lots of people out of work. but no I don't question for a second that it'd be the poorest state without walmart. that makes sense. especially since Sam Walton lived here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe me, I would shop elsewhere if I could. It's not JUST the price that keeps me going there, its the fact that its the ONLY department store within a reasonable distance to buy what I need. I don't have a vehicle, or even drive for that matter. My roommate takes me where I need to go and its unreasonable to ask her to drive me all the way in town (which costs a fortune in gas, so there is even more $$).

K-Mart lost out to Walmart when it first opened, Target isn't set to open here for another year and Zellers is disgusting and never has what I need, so there really isn't anywhere else to shop.

I just think for a company that advertises such "awesome" customer service, they should really be committed to providing it. I know there are great WMs out there, as some people have said but then there are some that are just terrible all the time, like mine is. I wouldn't even mind if it was the occasional employee that was unhelpful or rude. It's the fact that there are 5 or more each and every time I am there. I've yet to walk in there and actually be greeted by the greeters. Its just pissy elderly people who give dirty looks if you're not in the same age group as them. It doesn't take a smart person to say "hello", even a dumb person can do that.

I even understand employees getting frustrated and having bad days, it happens but honestly, if you don't feel like you have the personality or manners to work with the public on a daily basis, go find a quiet office job or something where you don't have to deal with hundreds of people. I guarantee these same ignorant employees would be upset if they went into a different store and were treated poorly. Everyone demands respect but so many people don't have it in them to give it.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet a years worth of paychecks that all the employees that are complained about do not show their true colors when upper management is doing spot checks. I bet they are peaches and cream oozing roses. Everything they do is up to par to the store regulations. Its kind of the way things work these types of jobs. I know that when inspections are done in chain stores they are pre planned and since managers dont want to get reemed a new one they will tell the 'bad' employees hey on such and such day put your a game on. Or they will go as far as to unschedule them so they are in store the day the big wigs come in. Its been that way at every customer service based job I have ever worked in.

IMO the best way to make your opinion heard is to do a bit of research and find the district manager of the store you have a complaint or praise for and email them directly or call them. The store managers will try and hide the complaints so it doesnt come back on them and the higher ups probably dont even see the complaints it goes directly to an HR dept.

Sadly more big chain corporate type business see the bottom line only and choose to avoid or ignore the rest of the lines above.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

K-Mart lost out to Walmart when it first opened, Target isn't set to open here for another year and Zellers is disgusting and never has what I need, so there really isn't anywhere else to shop.
K-Mart committed suicide by having terrible check-out problems, so bad it wasn't unusual for people to give up, leave their merchandise at the checkout stand (in the midst of being checked out ) and leave the store, never to return. Of course, they had lots of other problems, but that was just the icing on the cake.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The K-mart close to where I live that closed had the check-out problem. They were the cheapest place close to me for cleaning and laundry supplies. Because of my work hours I could go at a time when they weren't that busy. The store wouldn't be that crowded but there would still be long lines at the checkout. I would really stock up so I only went every three or four months but it was still really frustrating.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I would bet a years worth of paychecks that all the employees that are complained about do not show their true colors when upper management is doing spot checks.
I don't disagree with you, but I can say this - I work part time at Ross and upper management sends out "secret shoppers" from time to time and our store managers don't even know when they're coming. They check for things like whether they are greeted when they come in, whether associates ask if they need help finding anything (we have a "10-foot rule" where we are supposed to acknowledge any customer within a 10-foot radius), how clean the store is, etc. Our store is graded on secret shopper visits as well as pre-planned management visits.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Yes I know what a pressure cooker is but never owned one myself.
A pressure canner is almost the same as a pressure cooker. The pressure canner is used to process foods that are low in acid: corn, green beans. You can water bath high-acid foods like pickles and tomatoes, but low acid foods should be pressure canned to reduce the risk of bacteria. I was doing salsa which has both high acid and low acid ingredients. And I'm a coward, esp when it comes to canning anything. So I was looking for a pressure canner.

It's not that the clerk didn't know what a pressure canner was.....I understand that. It was that she gave this long drawn-out heavy sigh and rolled her eyes before she said that she guessed she would have to take me back to the canning section. Like I was a hindrance or a nuisance. That's what pissed me off. And it's just so darn common in that store. It was 7:30 in the morning and she wasn't busy at all.

Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

IMO the best way to make your opinion heard is to do a bit of research and find the district manager of the store you have a complaint or praise for and email them directly or call them. The store managers will try and hide the complaints so it doesnt come back on them and the higher ups probably dont even see the complaints it goes directly to an HR dept.
Tyler, I complained to the store manager and, when that did nothing, I wrote to corporate to complain. I got online and completed a survey about WM....you know how you get those surveys on the cash register receipt? Well, I was so frustrated that I completed one. And they called me...on a Saturday afternoon. I was shocked. I think we talked for almost one hour. I gave them cashiers' names, lane numbers, the names of people with whom I had talked at the store, everything I could think of.

It didn't do a darn bit of good. The cashiers there still suck little green worms and the service is every bit as bad. Yet, people still shop there. The only thing that will ever force any kind of change is when the money stops flowing into the store. And that's never going to happen.