I hate W......(big retail chain)! (Rant)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was at the W store yesterday and had our usual good experience.

My SIL mentioned to our cashier that we had gotten a bit of attitude on a previous visit because we had 2 items over the maximum for the express line. Our cashier yesterday told us we should report that other cashier because they are not allowed to talk to a customer like that. She mentioned this several times as part of their training.

I don't think on can blame all W stores - I think the service depends on the persons at any one store.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this thread today when we were talking about getting food this weekend.

I personally love my local WM. Its the best IMO and has amazing customer service. But I was thinking about how it really does come down to the people working and whether or not they give a hoot about their jobs or not. Our local hoagie shop has two different shifts and we have eaten at both. One shift is spectacular. I questioned the meatballs because I was curious if they were the gross kind or the actual halfway decent kind. Since the worker wasnt sure how good they were because she never ate them I went and ordered my usual...without even have to give my usual no tomato no oil light mayo speel. She went and brought out a meatball and sauce for me to try to see if I liked it. If that would have happened on the other shift the worker would have thrown a hissy fit over my usual order and been snotty about the meatball question.

It does all come down to the person who is performing the job and sadly the requirements for working in places like that is lacking. Everyone should have to uphold a standard while working in customer service.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The W store was back to normal today - typical experience, nothing bad at all, except they were out of the barn cats' favourite 'colour' food - Savoury Grill. They'll live on the other kinds and happily chowed down a tin when I got home. Still won't buy milk there because they charge a lot more than the high end grocery that I was headed to anyway; also won't buy cheese - don't much like Kraft cheese and refuse to buy it anywhere.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Still won't buy milk there because they charge a lot more than the high end grocery that I was headed to anyway; also won't buy cheese - don't much like Kraft cheese and refuse to buy it anywhere.
Really? We had a "milk war" here a while back and it got down to 98 cents per gallon. It's back up to about $1.80 per gallon now.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Really? We had a "milk war" here a while back and it got down to 98 cents per gallon. It's back up to about $1.80 per gallon now.
1.80 a GALLON??????? Gads, ours is that for a litre. A 4 litre jug (too much for me) sells at the high end grocery for 3.99 and the same at the W store is over 5.00. Go figure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

1.80 a GALLON??????? Gads, ours is that for a litre. A 4 litre jug (too much for me) sells at the high end grocery for 3.99 and the same at the W store is over 5.00. Go figure
lol. 1/2 a gallon (2L) of milk here is, on average, about $3.70. Even at WM...Their food is generally the same prices as the grocery store, which is why I don't buy much food there.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think regular milk is around $3.99 a gallon here (I don't really notice because I don't buy milk often, and when I do I buy organic which is ridiculously expensive anyway). My dad only drinks chocolate milk, and I know that costs around $4.50 a gallon, since my mom asked me to pick one up last time I went to the store.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its like 3.50 a gallon here at WM and 4 at the local grocery store but the local store is more expensive for stuff like that. Dry goods and cleaning supplies are WAY cheaper at WM so the extra 3 miles to drive there is beyond worth is since I save minimum a dollar per item I get at WM compared to the local store.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget the US gallon is smaller than a Canadian gallon. A Canadian gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallon.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Carol, by letting her get away with that you have reinforced her bad behaviour. I know it's hard when you don't want to make a scene but in your case where you are on such a limited budget, you should really have called her to task on it. Who knows how many people she does this with and takes the overage at the end of the day?
Yes, that's what I think she may be doing, too. But there was just the slightest possibility that she might not have understood what I was saying... she did appear to be foreign. What if I made a fuss and was wrong?

You're right, I know. So is resqchick. I'm a wimp.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So....I was looking for a pressure canner. A Mirro 12-quart pressure canner to be exact. And I thought about this post and all the responses to it and well, at 7:30 Saturday morning, I was in WM.

Me: Excuse me, I'm looking for a pressure canner. Would you help me, please?

Clerk: Wha-a-a-t? What the heck is tha-a-a-t? *very long sigh while rolling her eyes* Well, c'mon, I guess I'll have to take you back to the canning supplies.

Me: Never mind.

And out the door I went.

Went to a local hardware store (a local Cole's). Walked in the door, the clerk saw me and immediately asked me if she could help me.

Me: I'm looking for a pressure canner.

Clerk: Oh sure, they're over here.

We looked at various models and they did have what I was looking for. I had some questions, so the clerk and I sat on the floor, took the equipment out of the box and looked through the instruction manual, and checked the weights. Packaged it back up, she took it to the cash register, rang it up, and took it to the car for me. And the whole time she was ringing it up, she was talking to me about canning procedures and how she does her canning. And she wished me luck.

I probably paid about $7 more for the canner than had I bought it at WM. I don't really care.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is what I mean about service people acting like the customer is an inconvenience. I can understand someone not knowing anything about canning. I grew up on a farm with a large garden and a lot of canning but a lot of people know nothing about it. The clerk didn't have to get an attitude about it though. He or she could've simply said they knew nothing about canning but they would take you back to the right area and find out for you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Hmmm, I don't know what a pressure canneer is either, never heard of it.
You don't know what a pressure canner is? How about a pressure cooker?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

I probably paid about $7 more for the canner than had I bought it at WM. I don't really care.
And, again, that proves what I have said. WalMart doesn't put the stores out of business that deserve to stay in business.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

. My dad only drinks chocolate milk, and I know that costs around $4.50 a gallon, since my mom asked me to pick one up last time I went to the store.
Chocolate milk here is $6.99 for the 3 bags (4L). I only buy it the rare times its on sale for about $3.99.

I pay $4.19-$4.49 for 4L of milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Chocolate milk here is $6.99 for the 3 bags (4L). I only buy it the rare times its on sale for about $3.99.

I pay $4.19-$4.49 for 4L of milk.
I've never seen a sale like that on chocolate milk! I'd be in my glory.

If there is a sale, they only take 20-30 cents off.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what makes me chuckle is when people post complaint after complaint after complaint after complaint.... they have enough energy to complain, but apparently not enough money to buy somewhere else.

As for the original post. i understand her situation, and it's VERY frustrating. I was there at 3 am shopping for groceries (it's not the store I mind, it's the dirtbags that shop there that let their kids scream and yell, and the incosiderate mouth breathers that just get to me. So i generally go shopping between 1 and 4 am) I needed something for an x-box and they're always locked up. It took me a while. but I did find the guy so now I just go to him.

here's the deal, the people love the prices, claim they hate the company and everyone working there. there's a REASON they are so cheap, they aren't hiring smart people to run cash registers for one. There's a give and take to get the prices nobody can beat.

I hate the place sometimes too, but I have a hard time complaining when I go there 3 times a week. if it bothered me that bad, I guess I'd go somewhere else instead of getting so mad.

the give and take is worth it for enough people to make walmart the biggest employer in the us. So they're doing something right. and by the way, they emply 1.8 MILLION people on the report I just looked at. Number two, McDonalds, has 400k so they are 4 times bigger than the second place employer.

FYI I'm not referring to the original poster anywhere in this. The rant is actually stemming from some people on another forum that i visit daily.