I hate my landlord

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is so awful. Her and her husband dont like cats. I'm lucky to even be allowed to have any. I told her about Saki because I have to fill some paperwork out and she's like "How new is this kitten? We require they have all their shots before they are allowed here. If they aren't up to date, we need proof of their vaccinations on file ASAP" He just has one more set of FVRCP on October 17th. I KNOW she's going to require the Rabies vaccination and I really dont want to give it to him. There's seriously no need. Neither him or Zoey go outside. This just sucks. Does anyone know if its a law in California that they have to have Rabies shots? She told me when I got Zoey that it was required. Grr I'm just so blah I cant stand her.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh for pity's sake, indoor cats aren't usually vaccinated for outdoor diseases!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. They are SO :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: ANAL!!!!!!!!!

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forgot to add this but your landlord might also want proof of rabies vaccination for liability reasons.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of my cats have had rabies vaccinations. How are strictly indoor cats going to get exposed to rabies?

Check with your local animal control, to find out if cats have to be vaccinated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by uabassoon
Forgot to add this but your landlord might also want proof of rabies vaccination for liability reasons.
She does *sigh*

I wonder if she's actually going to monitor their shots every 3 years or whatever. I wouldnt be surprised

I'm trying to check some websites.. seems like only dogs and outdoor cats are required to have rabies vaccinations. Of course that's not good enough for her. She says that what if my cat bites someone that comes into my house, and we cant prove its had its rabies shot, she says they can put the cat down to find out if they've had it or not.
You cant argue with her either.

I'm just irritated.. I'll probly just do it so that I dont have to squabble with her but it just sucks. Thanks for letting me vent.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly she's telling the truth here.

She says that what if my cat bites someone that comes into my house, and we cant prove its had its rabies shot, she says they can put the cat down to find out if they've had it or not.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Working with animals I know that I have to be very careful because if an animal bites me, even if it is an indoor only cat, and if the bite gets infected or anything like that and I need medical attention the animal has to either be put in quarantine or put to sleep if they have no proof of rabies shots.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it really sucks, I hate that law too. But if a doctor sees someone for an animal bite they have to call animal control even if the person who got bitten tells them not to.

nighteyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sicy,
California has some strict liability laws. I got my indoor cat a rabies shot, in the unlikely event he got out and bit or scratched someone I could be held liable.
Just my opinion but get him one, and
protect your self.
Your land lady, has to protect herself against possible lawsuit's.

Sorry you are upset about this
take care.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cats have rabies shots every year, but we are giving some of the other vaccinations every three years. All on the advice of my vet. All cats are required to have rabies shots, and the risk of getting rabies indoors is from mice and bats. I'd worry if they didn't have the shots. (I'm in Ontario).

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it really sucks that indoor only cats have to have the rabies shot. Both of the boys get them every year because it is a requirement of GA law that they have this shot. Neither Sammycat or Oscar have ever been outside since I got them.

Sounds to me like the AR landlord is just trying to cover their backsides for insurance purposes.

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In every city I've lived in with pets, proof of rabies vaccination has been required to get a pet license. I've long wondered if the city license is mainly a way to ensure the vaccination. I don't know if it's mandated by the state, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I can see several reasons to get indoor cats vaccinated, most of which have been mentioned here. To protect yourself and your cat in the event of liability. If someone gets bitten, even if a vet recommends quarantining the cat, I could see the cat being killed to test for rabies if the people screamed loud enough, and I think many people would.

As for you indoor cat being exposed, bats was the first thing that came to mind, mainly because I've known many people who have had bat infestations; at least one of them had rabid bats for sure (a dead one was tested). The other thing is peace of mind if somehow your cat does get out. Probably not likely in an apartment, but if he/she did and was missing for a few days, you wouldn't need to worry. Our cat was taken care of at some point but was either thrown out or ran away and had been on his own for quite some time before we took him in. He's an indoor cat now, but I got him a rabies shot right away to protect him in case he ever gets out again.

Sorry this is getting long, but one more quick thing - lots of towns and cities have vaccination clinics where you can get rabies vaccinations for a very reasonable cost (however they may make you get a license at the same time!) Some vet clinics do also, so you don't pay for an office visit also.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending a virtual smack to the head to your landlord!

My indoor cats do get their rabies shots just in case they get out!

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My landlord stinks too. We're renting a house(like I would be able to fit my family in an apartment with a crowbar!) and we're not technically supposed to have animals at all. Other tenants of his in the area have told me it's pretty much a don't ask don't tell sort of thing. The man is a wannabe slum lord anyway.
My AC doesn't work(we stopped complaining when told to work properly it would need to be replaced and he wasn't going to do that), my fridge works but is wierd, the crowning glory was when my then 3 year old got locked into a room because the door knob stopped working while she was in there. I called saying I need this door fixed NOW my kid is locked in there. He asked if I could wait until tomorrow so he wouldn't have to pay overtime to one of the maintenance men! I said sure, but the door isn't going to be on the hinges anymore tomorrow, I have a small child in there!!!! The maintenance guy came in about 15 minutes.

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet told me the same thing about if someone came into your house and Max bit him, they would have to check for rabbies. She said it was more for my protection that he have the vacination. I don't have him have all the shots that are out there. We agreed that he would only have the shots that are absolutely necessary.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like the AR landlord is just trying to cover their backsides for insurance purposes
Yes, he probably is, and that is good business. So go ahead and hate him for all sorts of things, but I agree with him on this one.