I had my BIG interview today...needing some good vibes here!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chin up Shell.

Everyone feels like this in a new position and right now your overwhelmed with all the new responsibilites. Plus, you will never please everyone all the time, but you will have to deal with them. If someone is going to come down your throat for a mistake during your orientation, don't let them. If you don't know how to do something seek out a person to teach you.

Rob faced this whole scenerio when he made it into management. Right now he's the Quality Manager for 2 wood furniture plants and they expect him to be perfect. People will expect you to do everything right the first time as a manager. So, you have to learn to find the answers by seeking out people you can learn from. If you don't understand how to do something, ask question until you do understand. If someone tells you don't worry it's easy, ask them to show you the correct procedure and take notes if necessary.

Your best resource are the people on the floor. Find out who knows the procedures like the back of their hand and ask questions until your comfortable. Use people's knowledge to supplement your own, since many things won't be handed to you....you will have to seek the answers out yourself.

There will also be many people who will be loud and in your face. Don't back down and always be professional. These agressive people want you to cave, don't let their emotions influence your own! Your smart and talented Shell, hold your head high and keep looking forward.

Every day is a new beginning, learn from the past to take you through to the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kass for all the great words of wisdom and encouragement. It really mean a lot to me! As for seeking others help, I'm constantly asking questions. As for last night though, the gal that told me to do it was another Support Manager and she didn't have time to explain it because she was already over her hours for the day.
So, I asked my Store Manager to help me and she showed me how to do it. Honest to God, I did it right. I know I did it right, but apparently it wasn't up to standards with the Claims gal. She never did explain to me what I did wrong, she was just too ticked to even make complete sentences to me while she was screaming. From what I was told, the figures that I came up with were $100 short of what her figures were. To me that isn't that much, considering the totals were in the several thousand dollar range. But apparently, it was "Pick on the new Gal" day. I'm hoping that I can talk with her tomorrow and get things straightened out. I'm hoping she's cooled off by then.

Thanks again Kass. I knew I was going to have to grown some thick skin, but I was naive when it came to everyone accepting me right away. Now I've learned the hard way and thats sometimes the best way to learn. I'm definitely not going to let it get me down...this will make me stronger and a better Manager.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shell- you will be fine because you are strong. Some days will be harder then others (as I am learning in my new job), but think of yourself as on a learning curve. You are bound to make mistakes. The important thing is that you learn by them!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Long interviews are a good sign - if they didn't like you, you would have been dismissed from the interview earlier.

I missed out of a management training program in one of my early jobs - similar job possibility as yours. I reached out to another career and am now making at least 2 times what I could have ever earned in the other position. You're a smart woman. Good will eventually come out of whatever happens here!